Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,469 REPLIES 5,469

on2wheels
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ATHENS I would not rely on those being applied again. That screen you see could easily be the rewards applied on the current bill period. Besides I doubt we'll get that lucky.

I noticed there's a $21 plan on the PM front page now. But Freedom mobile has annual plans for much cheaper than we've ever had here, seems like a good alternative once our discounts end.

RetiredGuy1
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The CCTS just released their Mid-Year report for the period covering Aug 1/23 - Jan 31/24 (a few weeks before the announcement of PMs forced migration to Points). Rogers was noted as being the leader in complaints. Here is a link to the Media Release:

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/mid-year-report-2023-2024-complaints-about-phone-internet-and-tv-services-...

Any bets on who will take over that title when they release their 2023-24 Year-End report in a few months?

DownEast
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Those are the Rewards you have now and were applied to your April 25 bill, but you can expect that on the Next plan cycle you'll be switched to points.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

Public mobile should have introduced the new $25 plan for 20 GB LTE data earlier ($75 for 60 GB for 90 days).  Would have prevented some customers from leaving Public mobile.  

Most of my managed plans are the $29 plan.  Now I am going to switch to $25 x 3 for 90 days.  Save ]$4/month then from before.  Once the legacy rewards is converted to points in May, I will lose $7/month in monthly rewards.  Then the "price" increase of $3/month is easier to accept than $7/month.  

Unfortunately, these new plans really don't help the $15 legacy plan users who lose $7/month rewards. 

ATHENS

If switching to a Telus plan is porting the number  required?

RetiredGuy1

@fixin1  Interesting that Telus has a “limited time offer” of a $15 prepaid plan with 250MB data (with autopay) while PM just changed their $15 plan to remove data

ATHENS

Good news?

My plan just renewed a few days ago and I noticed that my plan shows on next renewal in late may I would still get my rewards applied. Have they extended the switch to the point system or something?

ATHENS_0-1714228998515.png

fixin1

@RetiredGuy1 - Yes, it is odd for Belus (Bell & TELUS) not bothering to take up 1-2 plan cards for a $15 plan.

Also side note that TELUS Prepaid also offers the $15 250MB autopay plan. But it is prepaid not postpaid.

RetiredGuy1

Yeah, I agree they delegate it to their flanker brands. I just found it odd that Bell and Telus couldn’t even bother to at least promote it on their own brand websites as the CRTC expects them to do.

fixin1

@RetiredGuy1 - They may or may not just carry it over to their flanker brands.

Fido has a postpaid $15 250MB data. A hand-me-down from Rogers.

Virgin has a $15 250MB data plan also. Bell hand-me-down.

Koodo has the $15 250MB post paid plan. Telus hand-me-down.

Also it doesn't apply to Freedom, since Freedom was not listed in the 2021 mandate.

RetiredGuy1

@hkjhkj 

Agreed, and for those interested, here is the CRTC backgrounder link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-television-telecommunications/news/2021/04/decision-on-mobile-wireles...

I find this part interesting:

The CRTC expects SaskTel, Bell, Telus and Rogers to offer and promote, on their premium brands, postpaid occasional-use plans that will have the following attributes:

• Maximum $15∕month
  • Minimum 100 minutes for outgoing Canada-wide calls
  • Unlimited incoming calls
  • Unlimited incoming/outgoing text messages
  • 250 MB of data
  • No data overage charges
  • Bring your own device

By interesting, I mean I only see Telus promoting the $15 plan on their own (premium brand) website (“Get 250MB of data for $15 or 3GB of data for $35 at 3G speeds. Available only at Koodo). Bell and Rogers don’t appear to do the same.

EdN

When my referrals pack up and leave i probably will too.  After getting shafted by PM for loyalty rewards I'm done beating the drum for them, the price of my plan has effectively been raised by $4/month.

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

It does say new activations only on the website.  To get to the page that you showed, customers have to click on the plan square on the previous page and it that square, it says Available to new customers only.

@cellphoneuser1 I know what the page says. In spite of that I got a plan that was offered to "new activations only" because when I clicked through it no longer said "for new activations only". I sent a screenshot to CS asking to be put on that plan as it did not say "for new activations only" and they accommodated me. I have said the same thing 3 or 4 times now in this thread.

If people don't want the plan they can ignore it, if they would like to get the plan they can try what I did.

@kb_mv wrote:

@Bottomshelf  The $21/30 days plan is $19/30 days on a 90 day subscription. When you contact CS send them the picture below which clearly does not say "for new activations only". As of this morning it still doesn't say it.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 11.51.37 AM.png

It does say new activations only on the website.  To get to the page that you showed, customers have to click on the plan square on the previous page and it that square, it says Available to new customers only.

@Bottomshelf  The $21/30 days plan is $19/30 days on a 90 day subscription. When you contact CS send them the picture below which clearly does not say "for new activations only". As of this morning it still doesn't say it.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 11.51.37 AM.png

Bunnyhop
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Good to see the people coming out in force to voice their displeasure.

marcnoel

I am curious as to the different better deals that some people have found outside of PM.  I just looked, and I don't see anywhere I can get 20 GB a month for $ 14.92, after upcoming Points deduction.  Multiple carriers have got deals, but I would have to pay full price until rewards/points/perks/chocolate kicked in.  I also don't feel it's appropriate to rely on referrals, because they might not happen, and I can't expect other people to switch or join some other carrier so that I can get a fee, as they might be happy where they are, don't like the deal offered, or can't get coverage.  I just looked at Freedom, Fizz, PC, Koodo, and No Name.  Some offer more data for the same full price, but I don't need more.  I want to pay less.  Where are the deals?

@Bottomshelf wrote:

Just to confirm the new $15 plan will have no 250mg data?  Death by a thousand cuts!!!

Do you think PM will grandfather existing rewards (international ld minutes, bonus data) into the new plan?

Thanks.

HI @Bottomshelf 

the new $15 plan has no data but it gives unlimited voice calls

anyone with the old $15 will keep the same old $15 plan, the add-ons they have will be the same 

fixin1

@hTideGnow - Yes, and there is nothing we can do about it. At least we get a rewards program.

If there was no Points or Legacy = Ex User for PM. 

EDIT: Yay! 5K posts!

hi @EdN it's the quality that counts not quantity 

If 5000 are quality posts from 5000 different subscribers, you would see PM reverses the decision..  Sadly, 

out of 5000, 1000 are repeated posts, 2000 are thanks you or those useless replies.. another 500 are personal attacks between members or against Oracles...Will see everyone in Public Points system in another 5 days

@hkjhkj wrote:

no, crtc mandates postpaid $15 plan, sometime that koodo is currently offering. bhell isn't offering postpaid $15 plan anywhere, and they are getting away with it.

hi @hkjhkj 

so, you are giving a thumb up for Telus for offering that??

and you will lead to make a formal complaint about Bell for failing to offer the $15 plan??

Bunnyhop
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The only oracle who isn't a sellout. Chad moment.

EdN

We made it 👍🏻

More than 5000 responses before May 1st 

Camera4617

I got two of those for both lines that I moved to Lucky and clearly told them why I moved.. 

OldNicknameGone
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I didn't bother with the CCTS and all of that. I was done with PM, so I left, and found a significantly better deal elsewhere as a very nice bonus to leaving. (Not only is it cheaper, I get better signal and service everywhere I go, after years of struggling with PM in rural areas)

When I got the email offering the win-back deal, I saw it posted in here several times, so I didn't bother posting anything. Now I've received this and didn't see it in the thread (though I didn't look closely).

I got this email a couple of hours ago, asking me to complete a survey about why I left PM, and offering the chance to win $250 if I answer. Clearly no one in marketing/sales/corporate are paying attention here, if they feel they need a survey to understand why people are leaving PM right now...

Survey email from PM after porting out number and closing account, Apr 26, 2024Survey email from PM after porting out number and closing account, Apr 26, 2024

fixin1

@joe77 - Yes, and the carriers are offering the bare minimum of service.

Max price for occasional use: $15

Minimum amount of data: 250MB

Minimum amount of calling minutes: 100 min

Unlimited SMS.

joe77
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, on a $15 plan, aren't they mandated to offer at least 250mb of data?

Bottomshelf

I'm not heavy data user as evidenced by my $15 plan.  It looks like what some previous posters have said is becoming true; they're trying to "get rid of" the $15 subscribers.  

What's frustrating/annoying is this seemingly "throw it on the wall and see what sticks" approach.  I don't understand why management/marketing did not state the plan(s) upfront and not change everything piecemeal?  For example, PM had the 4gb $24 account available for new subscribers only during the transition period and then removing .  I have the deemed perception that PM management doesn't know what they're doing based on their illogical(?) moves the past weeks.

I am currently 100% invested in Telus communications and security - telephone, internet, security and television. I was sitting on the fence and leaning towards staying.  However with this most recent change to the $15 plan I may have to leave after I've used up all of my rewards/bonuses or sooner if PM decides to eliminate all rewards immediately.

Bottomshelf

The $21 90 day plan would work for my spouse but @EdN has stated not available for existing subscribers but @kb_mv stated you can talk to cs agent to get new plan.

She is currently on the $25 1gb plan paying $21.

Bottomshelf

Just to confirm the new $15 plan will have no 250mg data?  Death by a thousand cuts!!!

Do you think PM will grandfather existing rewards (international ld minutes, bonus data) into the new plan?

Thanks.

Need Help? Let's chat.