cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is my Data connection coming from?

mobileguy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi Folks, so this past week I noticed something strange on my phone.  I have the Pixel 3a but doubt if this is related to a specific phone.  I'm trying to figure out where my internet is connecting to.  So situation is this.  I use the phone at home connected to my WIFI.  When I go into my Settings/WIFI, it shows that I'm connected to my network.  And when I swipe down on my notification bar, the WIFI symbol is in blue and my network name is showing underneath the blue symbol.  But a few days ago, I took my phone to my car to check on something.  The car is far enough away that I wouldn't be close enough to my router to connect to my WIFI.  What I noticed by accident was that when I swiped down on my notification bar, the WIFI symbol was still in blue.  Usually it's transparent when it's off.  However, under the blue symbol, there was no network name displaying.  So I went into my Settings/WIFI and it showed that I was not connected to any network.  But I was actually able to get onto the internet and surf a few pages and sites.  My mobile data setting is turned off so I'm not using any mobile data.  Hotspot and roaming settings are all off.  I did get charged for the internet use when I was in the car because I saw the charge on my PM usage history.  I know this is a long description but just trying to be as detailed as much as possible to describe what's happening.  So can someone please provide some information as to where my data usage is coming from when this happens?  Thanks.   

25 REPLIES 25

@mobileguy 

That is correct you are not being charged data for mms.

mobileguy

So I installed "My Data Manager" today and found something interesting.  On my phone, I have "Mobile Data" off.  So therefore, I am using wi-fi all the time at home.  But I also have an option for MMS messages that I have ON.  It says "Send and receive when mobile data is off".  So my mobile data usage today was at 0.  But when I sent an MMS message, my mobile data showed 1mb.  So it seems that my mobile data is being used when I send MMS messages.  However, I don't believe that data usage is eating away at my data plan.

mobileguy

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.  I am currently running on a Pixel 3a and everything is up to date.  Running Android 11.  I turned off "Mobile Data Always Active" and left the Developer's options turned on so it wouldn't flip the "Mobile Data Always Active" back to ON.  I have Mobile Data off.  After going through my Data Usage, it appears that "Android OS" is eating up a big chunk of my mobile data.  I downloaded an app called "My Data Manager" and will use it to monitor what app and when it's using my mobile data.  As I'm on a $15 monthly plan, I really don't want to use up my data (250mb) if not necessary.

@Anonymous  ah happy to hear you have an A31. I don't need to search Google anymore 😂

Maybe his software needs updating?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 

I just tried it on my A31 running A10 and could not reproduce it.

But the APN idea is good. You can have all the right APN stuff but remove default from APN Type and it won't do anything normally internetable but will allow MMS.

@mobileguy  is this the setting you see?

nexus2cee_Mobile-Data-Acrive-hero-768x432.png

If so, are you saying you toggle both to off then it turns back on by itself?

Do you have the lastest OS update on your phone or does your phone need some software updates? I only read quickly but seems this feature came out on Android 8 or 8.1 update....

Just thinking out of the box here. But if as you said you keep data off all the time.

You could always switch something in the APN settings (something easy to remember) like switch sp.mb.com to spp.mb.com. Then it would completely cut your data off. You'd have to remove the extra P though each time you want receive or send an MMS or use data.

Or maybe just try as a test for a few days to see if you can't figure out your phone settings?

@mobileguy 

Here is an article you may want to read.

Mobile Data OFF but using mobile data?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/361183-mobile-data-off-but-using-mobile-data.html

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mobileguy 

lol Then leave developer options enabled. 🙂

It doesn't hurt anything to leave it on.

But good noticing.

mobileguy

@Jb456 , thanks for the assistance and recommendations.  I always keep my mobile data to OFF as I use my phone at home all of the time on wifi.  I did notice something though.  The Mobile Data Always Active is defaulted to ON in developer's settings.  I turn it to OFF by toggling the switch.  But the second I turn off developer's settings, the Mobile Data Always Active toggle automatically flips back to ON.  Not sure if that's how Android works and if that's the root cause of my issue?

@mobileguy  no worries on the confusion. I am just trying to understand to help you as it is likely a phone setting.

With so many different brands and models of phones out there it's hard to keep up where each setting is on a phone.

There may be something else on your phone that needs to be turned off. Here's an example from my phone.

I have a section that I can turn off what can use mobile data and what can use wifi or both.

Screenshot_20201015_223836.jpg

Then I have to go into each of those apps and turn off the background data / roaming data

Screenshot_20201015_223939.jpg

So on your phone there is likely another section you have to find. The screenshot I posted on my earlier post to restrict background data per app came from a picture I found googling Samsung A31. 

When you have time I suggest you go through each setting on your phone and each app settings and adjust everything to your liking. 

I'm on the $15 plan with 250MB of data per 30 days. Although I keep data off 95% of the time when I do leave data on for a few days to keep a few apps running like messenger. I have never consumed data that I was not aware of. 

When I go to apps the I have restricted from data usage I get notified. For example if I need to search something on Google Chrome I get a popup that says

"Chrome was restricted from using your cellular network. Remove the restriction?"  With the option to either cancel my request to open Chrome or to select Remove and then use Chrome on my data. 

I hope eventually we can get your phone working the way you want where you can leave data on the whole time and not have to worry about unknown data consumptions 🙂

mobileguy

@Jb456 , i will check each app to ensure background data is off.

mobileguy

@Jb456 , sorry for the confusion.  I was in the car in the driveway when this happened.  I found out what that open wifi connection was.  It was somebody's wifi plug device but I was not connected to it.  I thought I was but I wasn't.  But I did surf a few pages and saw that my data usage go up.  I will check again my PM account tomorrow to see what happens.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Also if you have Google maps on the phone. It's best that you use the download "offline maps" feature download your areas maps or a whole province if you want. Then set Google maps to "wifi only".

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@mobileguy  did you also go into each app that you have on your phone and restrict background data?

Facebook_data_no_mobile_data.png

@mobileguy  you said that you were in a parking lot and there was a connection to a wifi network.

Wifi connection has nothing to do with data. You can have data completely turned off or even have your phone on airplane mode and still use wifi to connect to the internet.

Now you're saying your data is still being used up. So in your self serve account how much data was used up?

On your phone go check your data usage. You should be able to see data usage by day, week and month. You should also be able to change between data and wifi to see what was used on each connection.

Screenshot_20201015_215251.jpg

Also take note. When you have data turned off. And then turn it back on and it gets a data connection for a second. A data buffer kicks in.  PM data buffer is not much something like 5.496 MB (around that i forget exact amount right now)...and then if you turn data back off it will still show this buffer for quite awhile sometimes several hours or next day other times much quicker and the data buffer drops of your total usage.

Can you check your data usage a report back?

mobileguy

@Jb456 , but that's my issue.  I have my mobile data turned off.  When I'm in my car, I'm far enough away from my router where my wifi network is no longer connected.  But I still have internet access and I see that my data is being used up on my PM account. 

@mobileguy well if it's WiFi it has nothing to do with your data.

You probably should go through all your saved WiFi networks and "Forget this network" on each one you don't want your phone to remember anymore.

Open wifi is pretty much everywhere these days. Connect to Walmart wifi, Tim Hortons , McDonalds, bars , restaurants etc,etc...you connect once your phone remembers the connection if you end up getting in range to that connection again.

Example. You connect to your home wifi and then connect to Walmart. Now you leave Walmart parking lot eventually the range of Walmart wifi is lost as you are to far away and your phone would go back to data (if you have data on)...then you pull into your house and your phone picks up your wifi signal and connects back to your home wifi.

So sitting in your car in a parking lot and it picked up a wifi connection for some random store you should have went to your wifi settings and hit "Forget this network". 

Wifi name doesn't have to Say Walmart for example although that one does. Wifi names can be the model of the modem or router or if it's with bell, Rogers,etc.all different names.

mobileguy

Hi again everyone.  So I'm posting back to my original question.  Where is my data usage coming from.  I went through every option on my phone and turned off what I thought might be eating up my data even when I'm not connected to my wi-fi.  I went into Developer's settings and turned off the option that says to use my mobile network data even I'm out of range of my wi-fi.  And after all this, I was still sitting in my car connected to the internet.  It did say that I was connected to an open wi-fi connection thought.  The wi-fi name seemed to be a code rather than someone's made up network name.  So I guess I'm posting back to see if there are any more suggestions.  I hate using up my data when I don't really have to.  Thanks.

mobileguy

Thanks to everyone for your assistance.  As always, my question has been answered quickly. 

@mobileguy turn it off and also turn off WiFi+ android (wifi assist on iphone.)

Screenshot_20201002_120555.jpg

Screenshot_20201002_120650.jpg

mobileguy

@Anonymous , I found a setting called "Mobile data always active" and it is currently set to ON.  Does this setting cause me to use my mobile data when my WIFI signal is too weak?  If this is the setting, then I'll have to turn if off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mobileguy 

In my A31 running A10, settings / connections / wifi / 3 dots / advanced - switch to mobile data

Or in developer options mobile data always active.

mobileguy

@popping , I found the WIFI assist on my phone and it was already turned off.  Under WIFI preferences, I have 3 options.  "Turn on WIFI automatically" is set to ON.  "Connect to public networks" which is where I found WIFI assist, is set to OFF.  "Notify for public networks" is set to ON.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mobileguy 

There are different names or terms for the function. The switch could be in wifi advanced or via the developer options.

But it's what I call failover wifi. If the wifi you're connected to becomes weak or disconnected then the phone will connect to cell data to keep you connected to the internet.

I have mine off.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mobileguy 

Check your wifi assist setting.

If you enabled wifi assist, mobile data will be used when wifi is too weak to offer fast enough loading speeds.

Need Help? Let's chat.