cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Number Fraud

Without getting into too many specifics just curious what exactly Public/Koodo is doing about this?

If someone does use the generator then a legit client comes along afterwards then what?

 

It's not illegal per se, but must rank up there as a violation of policy

 

 


Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Re: Number Fraud

Glad you brought this up. I was just reading the RFD thread and also thought it was crazy.  

Koodo should punish by taking away the promo from those they find have committed this sort of funny business to get in on the promo deal.  

 

From PM's side, the best they can do is support the legitimate customer's effort to migrate if any issues arises due to their number having been used fraudulently.  

 

View solution in original post


All Replies
Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Re: Number Fraud

Glad you brought this up. I was just reading the RFD thread and also thought it was crazy.  

Koodo should punish by taking away the promo from those they find have committed this sort of funny business to get in on the promo deal.  

 

From PM's side, the best they can do is support the legitimate customer's effort to migrate if any issues arises due to their number having been used fraudulently.  

 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Oracle

Re: Number Fraud


@kav2001c wrote:

Without getting into too many specifics just curious what exactly Public/Koodo is doing about this?

If someone does use the generator then a legit client comes along afterwards then what?

 

It's not illegal per se, but must rank up there as a violation of policy

 

 


I would hope that those caught will have the plan revoked and any other service by the provider cut .Make then go somewhere else. That it charge then with fraud


* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click the "?" in the bottom right to create a trouble ticket *
Highlighted
Oracle

Re: Number Fraud

@kav2001c, I made enough stink early on along with a few other rational members that the moderators at RFD appreciated the fraud elements in what was being discussed.  They have since removed all traces of reference to phone number generators.  Members have been warned of being banned for brining up the topic again.  I sought to deep six the entire thread but there was no appetite for that as was felt that the topic would come back right away and with even more discussion of what had happened.  I would suggest that you take this discussion offline also as there is no good purpose served by further discussion here.  If you feel certain actions need to be taken on this side, take it up privately with the moderator team.  The curiosity element for those who might not know otherwise is potentially impactful.  I would also say that your posts about how many rounds of migrations and the applicable promo codes is provocative for no good reason.   

Highlighted
Oracle

Re: Number Fraud


@ShawnC13 wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

Without getting into too many specifics just curious what exactly Public/Koodo is doing about this?

If someone does use the generator then a legit client comes along afterwards then what?

 

It's not illegal per se, but must rank up there as a violation of policy

 

 


I would hope that those caught will have the plan revoked and any other service by the provider cut .Make then go somewhere else. That it charge then with fraud


I don't know what it takes, but Telus has been known to refuse service to customers.  There was a thread on Howard forums where a customer was at a loss on why Telus cancelled his service and refuse to discuss with him reasons why.  He recorded the conversation where he sought to understand why but the rep would not discuss with him.  He claimed that the action was taken without merit but would not discuss what he thought might be possible reasons.  Of course, there is always two sides to a story.  Fact is, carriers do not have to do business with certain individuals at their discretion.

 

RFD is home to the entire range of characters.  It is well known that Telus is very generous with offering/wanting Public Mobile customers to be Koodo customers instead.  It doesn't take much to get the invite.  Yet there are schemers who are always looking for the easy way out and will cheat the rules to the extreme. 

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Number Fraud

They should make it so you have to enter your PM phone number and PM account number on the Koodo Promo. That should cut the fraud down.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Number Fraud

Wait, what does this mean? Does this mean if someone knows my Public Mobile number, they can order a sim and plan with it?

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Number Fraud

@will13am

It caught my attention as I know from experiance someone who Koodo more or less said no to

They outright cancelled orders for valid promo plans and refunded hardware

 

I even got involved (long running argument over a couple of months) where Koodo keeps running in circles and I even said the names associated with each number were not matches so wtf did Koodo cross reference them

 

Then read about this so now am wondering

 

And even more down the rabbit hole bizzarro world stuff:

I was attempting to port a number for the $40 / 6GB plan (as recently as a week ago Koodo denies)

Now (somehow) exact same phone number is eligible for the $45 / 8GB plan Cat LOL

 

Just weird all around

 

Highlighted
Oracle

Re: Number Fraud


@kav2001c wrote:

@will13am

It caught my attention as I know from experiance someone who Koodo more or less said no to

They outright cancelled orders for valid promo plans and refunded hardware

 

I even got involved (long running argument over a couple of months) where Koodo keeps running in circles and I even said the names associated with each number were not matches so wtf did Koodo cross reference them

 

Then read about this so now am wondering

 

And even more down the rabbit hole bizzarro world stuff:

I was attempting to port a number for the $40 / 6GB plan (as recently as a week ago Koodo denies)

Now (somehow) exact same phone number is eligible for the $45 / 8GB plan Cat LOL

 

Just weird all around

 


 


@kav2001c wrote:

@will13am

It caught my attention as I know from experiance someone who Koodo more or less said no to

They outright cancelled orders for valid promo plans and refunded hardware

 

I even got involved (long running argument over a couple of months) where Koodo keeps running in circles and I even said the names associated with each number were not matches so wtf did Koodo cross reference them

 

Then read about this so now am wondering

 

And even more down the rabbit hole bizzarro world stuff:

I was attempting to port a number for the $40 / 6GB plan (as recently as a week ago Koodo denies)

Now (somehow) exact same phone number is eligible for the $45 / 8GB plan Cat LOL

 

Just weird all around

 

Your cases are potentially right out of the twilight zone.  However, mentioning them here solves nothing especially under the title number fraud.  None of us would know with certainty what is happening in the background.  Exactly as I have already said, you are best served to take up your problems privately with the moderator team. 


Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Re: Number Fraud

Your PM number can be used to become eligible for a special migration promo offer reserved at Koodo for PM customers.  If someone else uses up your eligibility, then you will be denied the sepcial deal if you try to migrate to Koodo.  This, however, doesn't mean that anyone who knows your number can open an account in your name.  Hope this clarifies it.  

 


@Effort wrote:

Wait, what does this mean? Does this mean if someone knows my Public Mobile number, they can order a sim and plan with it?