cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TELUS reports operational and financial results for first quarter 2020

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire
Today is TELUS quarterly results and annual shareholder meeting day. Results don’t look too bad all things considered and from my point of view TELUS Shares have come through this better than most other company shares I own! But, it’s not over yet is it....

Darren also wrote a letter to shareholders, customers and communities. I tried to copy and paste the entire text here but I learned something new, posts here can’t exceed 20,000 characters! Link to this letter is at the bottom.

AE_Collector

TELUS reports operational and financial results for first quarter 2020:

Providing critical support to Canadians and our communities during the COVID-19 pandemic; embracing our new mode of operations as we continue to deliver exceptional customer service

Consolidated revenue and EBITDA growth of 5.4 and 4.2 per cent respectively combined with strong free cash flow of $545 million

Solid first quarter customer growth of 106,000 net client additions, up 12,000 over the same period last year, reflecting continued broadband network leadership and customer service excellence

Wireless net additions of 70,000, including 21,000 high-quality mobile phone net additions and low blended mobile phone churn of 0.94 per cent

Strong wireline results, including EBITDA growth of 7.2 per cent and 36,000 net additions, up 2,000 over the same period a year ago driven by stronger Internet and security additions

Declaring quarterly dividend of $0.29125 per share; unchanged and supported by strong free cash flow growth

In light of the evolving nature and uncertainty of the global COVID-19 health crisis, TELUS deferring an update to its 2020 financial guidance to the second quarter 2020 earnings release; Continuing to focus on driving free cash flow and future dividend growth                                                                

The Full report:
https://web.tmxmoney.com/article.php?newsid=8039315657261015&qm_symbol=T

Also:
TELUS CEO Issues Open Letter to Shareholders, Customers and Communities

VANCOUVER, British Columbia, May 07, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- TELUS CEO Darren Entwistle today issued an open letter to shareholders, customers and communities amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://web.tmxmoney.com/article.php?newsid=8317825543152857&qm_symbol=T

17 REPLIES 17

@Nezgar read this in a local newspaper shows you how reliable the news is. You just proved that we shouldn't listen to anything from the news, my bad. 

@AE_Collector yeah I would try and max that contribution. The problem I think is when its offered they don't market it like hey btw you are getting free money. There is nowhere else that you can guarantee doubling your investment, and that is exactly what employer contributions are 🙂

@Naepalm 

Excellent advice for anyone being offered free money. Several times over the years that I was in for the maximum 6% contribution I heard Employee participation rate was in the 70% range. That is 20 something percent of employees turning down free money in the form of a forced saving/investment plan. We were able to cash some/all of the shares in our accounts up to twice per year so this was an excellent plan to force you to set aside money that could easily be accessed if needed. A rainy day fund for something like Covid-19. 

We could opt in for 1 to 6% of our wages turned into shares. Many times I mentioned to people not in the plan to try starting at 1% of your wages. Skipping Tims or BigBUX on the way to work in favour of a free coffee at work or making coffee at home in the morning and you would instantly be good for 3-4% share purchase.

AE_Collector

@Naepalm wrote:

@yanzhiqiang it did in china where 21 million cellular customers have "disappeared" acording to China MITT. They are thinking the virus has more implication there then CCP is letting on.

China has 1.67 billion cellular users and 190million land line users.  

And the governemnt China Mobile owns 60% of that market. I was reading about this today thats why Im sharing. lol

That loss of 21 million cellular customers has been debunked as a connection to possible deaths. It's simply people cancelling ancillary wireless subscriptions due to reduction in need due to work reduction, as secondary mobile phone subscriptions (and dual-SIM phones) for work and such are commonplace.

Just look at your statement that China has 1.67 billion cellular users. Well, the total population of China is only 1.379 billion as of 2016, so there's no way that's possible unless a good number of people hav two or more active lines. 😁

@AE_Collector  I agree a great telecom company in Canada, with that they basically gave you free money lol. Always take share offers or rrsp contributions when you work for a company 🙂

@Naepalm 

My T.TO shares have done better through this than any other shares I own. I worked for BCTel/TELUS my entire career, 37.5 years. For 26 of those years there was an employee share purchase plan that you could put up to 6% of Your regular wage towards purchasing shares which I did the entire time never selling any of them. They matched our purchases with another 40%. I won’t tell you how many shares I retired with and the number just doubled (and value halved) with the split two months ago. But, I have sold about half of them now to diversify into other companies which at this moment doesn’t look like it was a good move. Pretty hard to go wrong buying TELUS in your RRSP or TFSA.

AE_Collector

JenL
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Naepalm 

@AE_Collector 

Warren Buffet sure was onto something, maybe PM Community will be the new 1% haha jokes but, seriously anything's possible! 

@yanzhiqiang it did in china where 21 million cellular customers have "disappeared" acording to China MITT. They are thinking the virus has more implication there then CCP is letting on.

China has 1.67 billion cellular users and 190million land line users.  

And the governemnt China Mobile owns 60% of that market. I was reading about this today thats why Im sharing. lol

@yanzhiqiang @AE_Collector @would have been a good buy when it was 18.00 mid march. Even now the stock being at 22.75 is a good buy. Not that I have boat loads of cash sitting around to buy T.TO stock lol

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The corona virus pandemic didn't affect communication company

Yeah it is really “11,000 new high-quality mobile phone net additions and 23 new Public Mobile net additions”!

AE_Collector

@Nezgar lol cmon man we are high quality. Is that the wording lol. 

I'm guessing us Public Mobile clients are not considered part of the 21,000 "high-quality mobile phone net additions" . 🙂

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@AE_Collector Telus is a good company and when investing in them you have to think like Warren Buffet, "when you buy a stock you should buy it because of the company, would you be willing to own that company for 10, 15 20 years, then yes buy the stock."

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@AE_Collector Definitely, one of the best tech providers I know, especially in Canada. I believe in a bright future for it and support the company😊

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@AE_Collector 

@AE_Collector wrote:
Today is TELUS quarterly results and annual shareholder meeting day. Results don’t look too bad all things considered and from my point of view TELUS Shares have come through this better than most other company shares I own! But, it’s not over yet is it....

I tried to copy and paste the entire text here but I learned something new, posts here can’t exceed 20,000 characters!

AE_Collector

TELUS reports operational and financial results for first quarter 2020

Providing critical support to Canadians and our communities during the COVID-19 pandemic; embracing our new mode of operations as we continue to deliver exceptional customer service

Consolidated revenue and EBITDA growth of 5.4 and 4.2 per cent respectively combined with strong free cash flow of $545 million

Solid first quarter customer growth of 106,000 net client additions, up 12,000 over the same period last year, reflecting continued broadband network leadership and customer service excellence

Wireless net additions of 70,000, including 21,000 high-quality mobile phone net additions and low blended mobile phone churn of 0.94 per cent

Strong wireline results, including EBITDA growth of 7.2 per cent and 36,000 net additions, up 2,000 over the same period a year ago driven by stronger Internet and security additions

Declaring quarterly dividend of $0.29125 per share; unchanged and supported by strong free cash flow growth

In light of the evolving nature and uncertainty of the global COVID-19 health crisis, TELUS deferring an update to its 2020 financial guidance to the second quarter 2020 earnings release; Continuing to focus on driving free cash flow and future dividend growth                                                                

Full report:
https://web.tmxmoney.com/article.php?newsid=8039315657261015&qm_symbol=T

TELUS CEO Issues Open Letter to Shareholders, Customers and Communities

VANCOUVER, British Columbia, May 07, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- TELUS CEO Darren Entwistle today issued an open letter to shareholders, customers and communities amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://web.tmxmoney.com/article.php?newsid=8317825543152857&qm_symbol=T

when you're the best provider, it shows in the numbers..........

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Here is an article about their Q1 outlook.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/05/07/telus-q1-2020/

Need Help? Let's chat.