cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renewed Approach to Telecommunications Policy: CRTC and how Public Mobile will fit in?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

The recent call for comments on the new policy directive for the CRTC going forward and how it will shape the telecommunications landscape in Canada has been posted on the ic.gc.ca website. It contains comments from many industry providers, advocacy groups, varying levels of government and individuals concerned enough with the lack of competition, accessibility among other issues to take the time to write their thoughts down and submit their comments for the CRTC to review and consider before making and implementing policy changes that will affect the industry as a whole and in turn Public Mobile customers.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11810.html

How will this affect Public Mobile and its customer base? How do you as a prepaid customer think it will affect your services in the future? Do you see yourself staying with Public Mobile if more competition is created? Or do you think nothing will change?

While there are many submissions the incumbents are defending their positions but upstarts like Dot Mobile have compelling commentary and imput and there is a slew of individuals who submitted both brief pointed opinions to lengthy diatribes that help give perspective and insight on the mobile and internet landscape in Canada.

Public Mobile Community members thoughts, comments and opinions on this topic are welcome for discussion.....

8 REPLIES 8

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@darlicious,  I thought I had moved this thread when you first posted it, I guess i never hit the final button.  I am not sure why you need to make personal attacks on people in your posts.  So saying to leave this post for a day or two for exposure you are still saying that it belongs in The Lounge?  The setup of being searchable isn't something @computergeek541  or any Oracle can do anything about, so why not bring up your concerns with the community  manager nicely rather than your authoritarian manner that you do but state that others are acting that way.  As you seem to claim every decision that you don't agree with is an Oracle over stepping their powers and abusing privileges.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

If your main issue is not having the lounge as searchable and visible like other posts on the main feed (which I tend to think would be better as well), then shift your beef with CSA's (sure J_PM), but why attack computergeek so harshly @darlicious? It's not his fault.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Korth 

Well I'm not done yet.....and while my submission was influenced by a less than satisfactory result of my CCTS complaint I wanted it to be personal ( typos not withstanding) vs the more straightforward pdf documentation complaint submitted to the CCTS and the revised version to be submitted to the CRTC to deal with issues not covered by the scope of the CCTS and a complaint I will be making regarding the CCTS themselves not enforcing their procedural code.

I have been successful in the past winning impossible appeals and setting precedence. Once I commit I am in it to the very bitter end and the new policy directive does favour my argument. One must always have hope and the pursuit of freedom and happiness or you end up with "Puddin'" running everywhere and everything and we certainly don't want that! Dar-ren ain't whistle'n when I'm done!😝

@darlicious 

I do vote on things I perceive as meaningful, when I believe my contribution could make a difference, when the outcomes could be very desirable or very unacceptable.

But I don't waste my time when I know my voice won't be heard, when I know the forum is just a formality because the outcome is already predestined.

A consumer complaint - a few dozen, a few hundred, a few thousand consumer complaints - won't deflect the momentum of a billion-dollar industry which has an otherwise unobstructed path towards endless money.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Korth 

Too bad you didn't submit your 2 cents worth to the CRTC....how do expect them to change their ways if customers don't tell them what's wrong with their previous decisions and how to move forward under the new policy directive? If you don't lobby for your own interests who will? I suppose you don't vote either?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CountyDownIeUk 

This was an open call for comments from all walks of life in Canada and the list itself is interesting in that initially you may think it would mostly be business with a vested interest in the telecommunications Industry but it just shows how much having access to mobility services is a necessity nowadays as it permeates all segments of society.

I posted a few times in a variety of threads for members to have their say and submit their own comments  by the July 19th 2022 deadline. As you can see 1,633 individuals did just that.... approximately 0.004536% of Canada's population.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

What purpose does posting this grand copypasta list serve here?

Not sure why we're getting the laundry list of alliances, groups, organizations, and committees here. Many of them only interacted in incidental, one-off, or tangential ways with the CRTC.

But take note that some of them - CWTA, CCSA, CNOC to name just a few obvious picks - are basically anti-consumer organizations. They represent and promote the interests of their (paid) corporate members. Their objective (the whole reason they were formed) is to lobby the CRTC for rules which will protect and increase the profits this industry can milk from Canadian taxes and from Canadian consumers.

It's well-known that Canada's telecom market is a protected oligarchy.

So it's obvious that the CRTC is not going to suddenly be interested in "protecting" consumers in any sort of new and exciting (disruptive) way. Not after such a long history of "protecting" the Big Three carriers.

All the hype is just politics. Somebody's trying to get a promotion, a big pay-raise, or a big budget-raise.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

The question is, were the candidates pre selected? If yes, what was the criteria to  be selected? And what way will it slant the outcome?

Comments received on the Order Issuing a Direction to the CRTC on a Renewed Approach to Telecommunications Policy

August 5, 2022

Some of the information on this Web page has been provided by external sources. The Government of Canada is not responsible for the accuracy, reliability or currency of the information supplied by external sources. Users wishing to rely upon this information should consult directly with the source of the information. Content provided by external sources is not subject to official languages, privacy and accessibility requirements.

Comments

Comments received (Zipped Folder, 19.5mb, 59 documents)

Provided by:

• Agricultural Producers Association of Saskatchewan (APAS)
  • Alberta Municipalities
  • BCE
  • Beanfield Technologies
  • Canada Deaf Grassroots Movement
  • Canadian Association of the Deaf
  • Canadian Communication Systems Alliance (CCSA)
  • Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA)
  • Canadian Public Safety Operations Organization (CanOps)
  • Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association
  • City of Calgary
  • City Managers and Chief Administrative Officers of Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, and Halifax
  • Cogeco Inc.
  • Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS)
  • Competitive Network Operators of Canada (CNOC)
  • Consumers Council of Canada (CCC)
  • Cybera
  • Data On Tap
  • Deaf and Hard of Hearing Coalition (DHH Coalition)
  • Conseil provincial du secteur des communications (CPSC)
  • Eastlink Inc.
  • EGATE
  • Electricity Canada
  • Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) - Brampton, Durham, Halton, Hamilton, Mississauga, Oakville, Peel, Toronto and York
  • Independent Telecommunications Providers Association (ITPA)
  • Individuals (1,633)
  • Iristel
  • Kris Joseph (Digital Scholarship Librarian York University Libraries) & Michael B. McNally (Assistant Professor, University of Alberta)
  • McCarthy Tétrault LLP
  • Municipal Information Systems Association of Canada (MISA/ASIM Canada)
  • National Capital FreeNet
  • OpenMedia
  • Public Interest Advocacy Center (PIAC)
  • Public Safety Broadband Network (PSBN) Innovation Alliance
  • Rogers Communications Inc.
  • Rural Municipalities of Alberta (RMA)
  • Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities (SARM)
  • SaskTel
  • SSI Canada
  • TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
  • Telus Communications Inc.
  • TerreStar Solutions Inc.
  • The Canadian Federation of Agriculture
  • Toronto Police Services (TPS)
  • Vaxination Informatique
  • Xplornet

Need Help? Let's chat.