cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for Android Users

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I been using the Global Skytracker app for weather. I gave it up because it can't seem to put me in right location. Their notifications from local stations are way off to the ones Environment Canada also sends. I tried the Weather Network app but feel it's a large app that takes long to load even on a phone with 4GB ram.

My question is what app do you use for weather? Looking for recommendations.

17 REPLIES 17

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

(more so even than when I ask my Google Home Mini "how's the weather?"--half the time it will tell me it's cloudy or showery and I'll walk out my door to a downpour).  

Seriously?! Um...look out the window?

🙂

@Anonymous win...dow?  What's this new-fangled contraption you're referring to??? Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

(more so even than when I ask my Google Home Mini "how's the weather?"--half the time it will tell me it's cloudy or showery and I'll walk out my door to a downpour).  

Seriously?! Um...look out the window?

🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

This is one of those classic "ask a dozen Android users what weather app they use and get a dozen or more different answers" scenarios.  I was using Weather Underground for a while but then it would start lagging behind in weather on my configured locations after a while and I'd have to remove them and re-add them and it was fine for a while. Eventually I went back to the old stadnby of the Weather Network app.  It seems reasonably accurate (more so even than when I ask my Google Home Mini "how's the weather?"--half the time it will tell me it's cloudy or showery and I'll walk out my door to a downpour).  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I use HD widgets paid edition for my weather app.  It uses cell tower location and not GPS, so using high accuracy location is not important. 

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

@Jessica_T wrote:

@tehowennatheLoad the app , allow location access, set "current location" to on.

That feature is entirely useless in someplaces though. For some reason on Public Mobile it auto assumes I am in Toronto whenever I say use current location if I am on Data. I am no where near Toronto, I'm in Northern Ontario. Happened on two different phones. (iPhone 5s and Samsung S8+). It works fine when on WIfi though.

I just use the default App that is on the phone and manually tell it my location for the first page, and let it auto for the second for when I travel.

@PsygineerSet your location mode to high accuracy and allow wi-fi scanning, mobile network and gps. When you enable location it asks for permission to use different types of location methods, if you do not accept or have various privacy settings, trust center or features to not ask each time you may miss out on the most accurate parts of how the phone determines your location, that also includes the app to have full permissions.

It has the full unrestricted permissions that it has asked for. I have never disabled any of the options. I'll dig around in the settings to see if I can find what it causing it.

Jormungandr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Other than the original Android weather app, I also have the following 2 weather apps installed.

Canada Weather and Radar

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.fwe.caweather&hl=en_US

WeatherCAN (originall available via weather.gc.ca as beta.  Now available on Playstore)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.gc.ec.weather_app_android.ops

paul5
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

accue weather is what i use it works fine

Dunkgirl

@Psygineer wrote:

@Jessica_T wrote:

@tehowennatheLoad the app , allow location access, set "current location" to on.

That feature is entirely useless in someplaces though. For some reason on Public Mobile it auto assumes I am in Toronto whenever I say use current location if I am on Data. I am no where near Toronto, I'm in Northern Ontario. Happened on two different phones. (iPhone 5s and Samsung S8+). It works fine when on WIfi though.

I just use the default App that is on the phone and manually tell it my location for the first page, and let it auto for the second for when I travel.

@PsygineerSet your location mode to high accuracy and allow wi-fi scanning, mobile network and gps. When you enable location it asks for permission to use different types of location methods, if you do not accept or have various privacy settings, trust center or features to not ask each time you may miss out on the most accurate parts of how the phone determines your location, that also includes the app to have full permissions.

Psygineer

@Jessica_T wrote:

Jessica_T
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@tehowennathe wrote:

Yahoo weather's 20mb is alot smaller then Weather Networks 60mb app.

@tehowennatheIt uses very little resources.

Tav

My phone has 1gb RAM

I use What The Forecast?!! for its entertainment value.

Jessica_T

tehowennathe

Yahoo weather's 20mb is alot smaller then Weather Networks 60mb app.

tehowennathe

@Jessica_T will give yahoo weather a chance. Just hope it can get my location right. I'm next to Montreal but because I'm on a reservation apps always give me town across the river. Only Weather Network got it right but was slow

tehowennathe

I used to do the same but with having family in different locations and traveling when I can, I just like an app that can keep me updated.

Jessica_T

@tehowennatheYahoo weather app but never used the app only see the widget on the desktop.

Dunkgirl

@tehowennathe wrote:

I been using the Global Skytracker app for weather. I gave it up because it can't seem to put me in right location. Their notifications from local stations are way off to the ones Environment Canada also sends. I tried the Weather Network app but feel it's a large app that takes long to load even on a phone with 4GB ram.

My question is what app do you use for weather? Looking for recommendations.

@tehowennatheI use my browser that has ad-block on a phone that has 2gb ram by means of a bookmark to my saved location on www.theweathernetwork.ca no need for apps or location sharing. If I was lazy I could also create a desktop url shortcut with my launcher adw

Need Help? Let's chat.