cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High-speed internet at $20 a month for low income seniors, families to be announced.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

The federal government is set to announce a new phase to a program that provides high-speed internet at $20 per month to low-income families and seniors across Canada.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/high-speed-internet-at-20-a-month-for-low-income-seniors-famili...

8 REPLIES 8

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Korth wrote:

@dabr wrote:

So data and high speed internet access is a human right but health care is not? 

Subsidizing basic health care is not as urgent when most people can already afford to access it. Because they have real wages. From employable skills and knowledge. From education.

Too bad real education is not a real priority anymore.

Agree.  Education is too expensive nowadays.

I paid $80/year in tuition to attend SAIT(Southern Alberta Institute of Technology) in 1974.

I paid $1200/year to attend University of Calgary Engineering school in 1976.

With my subsidized education provided by the Alberta Government during the years when Peter Lougheed was  the Premier of Alberta, I paid it back many fold in income taxes.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@dabr wrote:

Subsidizing basic health care is not as urgent when most people can already afford to access it. Because they have real wages. From employable skills and knowledge. From education.

Too bad real education is not a real priority anymore.

jhol
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There's definitely a lot of room for improvement, but we're pretty lucky to be in Canada! There's so many other countries that are worse off. Hopefully we can keep growing in the right direction 😊

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

:

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Telus is currently running a $9.95/m 25Mbps down/5Mbps up called Internet for good.  Seniors in BC and AB, who are receiving GIS (Guaranteed Income Supplement), will qualify. 

https://www.telus.com/en/social-impact/connecting-canada/seniors/application#I4G?INTCMP=VAN_Internet...

JL9
Mayor / Maire

That still may be too much for many with everything else they are juggling, but going in the right direction I guess.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@JK8

Last year Telus offered a free cell phone but they changed it to a $75 credit towards a refurbished phone from Mobile Klinik plus a subsidized 3gb $25 cell plan for seniors on low GIS.

Need Help? Let's chat.