cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

De-Googled Phone & Public Mobility

bashley
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Wondering if anyone has had the experience of de-googling their Android phone.  Not thrilled about Google selling me in the ad market and knowing every move I make. I've decided to migrate away from using all Google services. This is quite a project because I've been using Google since its inception with umpteen tons of data, docs in the Google domain.

As I understand it, in the hands of skilled technician, an Android phone like mine (Samsung S9) can strip out Google's guts. The other options?  Linux? A flip phone with texting capability? 

A low intensity, infrequent user of mobility services, I'm not panicking, just looking ahead to a phone move that will get Google out of my life. Not to offend anyone, I think the services are great, but for me, the costs and potential risks to my privacy (and security) have come to be too high for me. 

Thanks!

bob

32 REPLIES 32

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bashley Almost every phone comes with googles services endless you put a custom ROM on your phone. If you cant put trust into google then how are you putting trust into anything else. Heck how are you even putting trust into using Public Mobile. Google is one of the most Secure services in the world. Almost everyone has a google account. Even if your phone has nothing to do with google they still know everything about you and probaly even your precise location as they work with cell carriers. You simply cant get away from google. But i think you can opt out on google sharing your data to a certain level. It should be somewhere in your account settings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bashley 

That's a gigantic question.

As for Public Mobile...all they need is compatible cell frequencies and unlocked.

Many keeners "root" their phones and take more control of it. Android IS Google though.

As for the rest of it, I'm not sure it's relevant to here but if it's phones I suppose technically it can be in this category.

Need Help? Let's chat.