cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COVID - coping financially

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

If you are serious about self isolating AND must reduce your costs, consider the following:

- turn off autopay on your PM account BUT reactivate before 90 days to retain your number (use it normally until your current plan expires)

- get the TextNow app for calling/texting over wifi (your contacts will need to use this number instead of PM)

- remember that in an emergency your cell phone will still call 911

Not suitable for anyone regularly away from wifi, or who live in a location without regular internet services.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
8 REPLIES 8

ryanrudolf
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@will13am 

i still get the normal canadian content on netflix even though im using the turkey trick. If i use a US VPN, i still get the normal US content too.

@ryanrudolf , interesting...  Does being a member via Turkey give you access to a smaller video selection?  I didn't buy Amazon for their videos.  It has become a pleasant surprise in terms of what they offer.  I share my Amazon account with family and friends and so the monthly cost is well worth it.  

ryanrudolf

@will13am 

i thought of pausing the netflix for a while, but i am using the turkey trick and it might mess up on the billing so i decided to leave it as it is.

@ryanrudolf , I would pause the Netflix account and keep the Amazon prime membership.  Amazon prime gives access to videos and limited music.  The video collection is very good.  

For me, the biggest savings have been on food.  I have been going to this restaurant called THE KITCHEN. You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal. I have no clue how this place is still in business.

@ryanrudolf Where I am, Amazon Prime shipping often isn't faster. It just gets around the minimum $35 order for free shipping. In stock items that are normally eligible for same day or one day shipping (or 2 days ar worst) are taking a week.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could downgrade your plan and if want to change on next renewal so you don't lose any unused minutes) texts or data. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/change-your-plan

If you have internet at home then use apps like WhatsApp, Textnow, and Skype.

ryanrudolf

i cut costs on netflix and amazon prime. if its a slow month and no need for rush deliveries, i turn off the amazon prime membership. for netflix, i choose the lowest tier.

Need Help? Let's chat.