cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

E-SIM support?

Hi,

I do not know much about them, but the next phone I am looking to purchase (Pixel 2XL) is rumoured to come with E-SIMs (non-removable carrier writable).  I am wondering how (and if) these will work with PM?

For now it is just a rumour, but I am guessing that these will be used more and more in the future.

Oracle

Re: E-SIM support?

@RLBL, this is a great question.  @Jeremy_M any insight or talks on how this will/won't be supported in the future by PM.  I think this will become the future standard of the industry.

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I know that we don't have much information right now but so far E-SIM sounds like a terrible idea right now.

-  This kills the ability of simply swapping sims in unlock phones when you need it (to test another phone or just use multiple phones, etc).

-  This makes you more dependant on the service provider to activate the e-sim, and may be inefficient.

-  This may give the service provider more control over your unlock phone.  After December 1st when the provider are required to unlock the phones, this may give them another way to lock or be dependant of them. 

- This will be difficult when you are travelling with your unlock phone and you need to get the e-sim support in a foregin country.

@Mana I think those are all valid concerns...

Agreed, completely valid concerns and IMHO, I think it would cause headaches in the BYOD world.  I sure hope this isn't the direction the industry is going in, not unless theres a better explaination of how E-SIM would be handled by carriers - seems a bit restrictive.

Highlighted
Retraité / Retired

Indeed, a great question @RLBL

@ShawnC13 @RLBL, right now, there is no talks of PM using this technology. If anything changes, I will make sure it's communicated through the Community.

JM

@Jeremy_M wrote:

Indeed, a great question @RLBL

@ShawnC13 @RLBL, right now, there is no talks of PM using this technology. If anything changes, I will make sure it's communicated through the Community.

JM

Well I am glad I asked. This will influence my next phone decision for sure (I hope the rimour is not true and I can just pop in my current Nano SIM)

you don't want your nice unlock phone to be a slave of the service provider.

It probably wont implement any time soon.  Too much disdvantages from esim for most current user, unless they use the same phone and/or provider for long time.

Mayor / Maire

This was also discussed in a thread from Tuesday...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Death-of-the-SIM-card/m-p/188725

My understanding is that you'd "set up" the carrier on your phone and you can easily switch between them (like the image I posted in the thread above). The question remains, however, if the electronic SIM will work with all carriers, or just the big 3? I rather like the idea, because if I make a quick trip to the US, I don't need to look for my US SIM card... but instead just switch to the US carrier directly on my phone. Pretty slick if you ask me...