cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls work. No Data. Cannot edit/add APN. "Automatically select network" fail.

davidlikesbikes
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi friends.

I have a Asus Zenfone 4 Max (ASUS X00ID purchased in Taiwan), running Android 8.1.0 "Oreo", ZenUI Launcher 5.0.1.44_18-7-0_1

I ran a factory reset on my phone (attempt to fix camera issues) and now my network mobile data fails to connect, although calls, sms/texting, and wifi work. This was not an issue before the factory reset. 

Automatically select network shows "Public Mobile" in greyed out text. If I try to select from the list of networks "Public Mobile 3G" appears, but also fails to connect.

I searched around and it seems this is an ongoing issue regarding Android 8.1.0 removing APN editing/manual add function. In March, when I began using Public Mobile, I remember having to manually input the APN. Similar problem now, but without the ability to manually add the APN as per these instructions https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

Will Public Mobile fix their "auto add" function, or allow their SIM cards the ability to bypass Androids APN restrictions? I read people have had success inputing a Freedom Mobile SIM to bypass the manual add block, or downgrading their Android version.... Is there a better way to fix this issue. Or am I having other APN issues? Does Public Mobile have new SIM cards that fix this issue?

Please help! Thanks in advance 🙂

30 REPLIES 30
Need Help? Let's chat.