cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT IS THIS BS???

krazy89
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was in the process of filling out all the porting number forms over... but never finalized it... never picked a plan... and just quit the process...

now this morning... my number is dead... i don't have an account with PM... wtf?

i need someone from PM to contact me right away....

this is some major malpractice...

47 REPLIES 47

@krazy89 it would violate consumer protection laws if they really did "try" to sign you up right away whether you wanted to or not and submitted port request based on that ideal

The key word is try

A system glitch / poor design would not be same thing as they most likely did not anticipate people changing mind during process and closing browser window

krazy89

@kav2001cwhich part are u saying is illegal?  the sending the port request as soon as u click submit on the port form?

if that is the part that you're talking about.... technically... from a legal standpoint.. it's not illegal as you, the consumer, clicked submit on the port form.... so that authorizes the carrier to send that request...  that's kinda why i say it's underhanded.... but not illegal...

@krazy89 wrote:

on a side note tho... they can check to see if a number is portable without actually submitting a port request...  to be honest... i'm pretty sure carriers do that port request right away because they want to send that request as soon as possible so people don't change their mind... and once the port is done... they are forced to get service with them even if it's for a short time period.  pretty underhanded practice... but it's legal... so there really isn't any recourse for the consumer...

@krazy89 not only is what you describe illeagal it makes 0 sense from a business standpoint

naeem382

another person

i Have same issue 

krazy89

@outdoorsaddixyeah.. there clearly needs to be some change to the process...

on a side note tho... they can check to see if a number is portable without actually submitting a port request...  to be honest... i'm pretty sure carriers do that port request right away because they want to send that request as soon as possible so people don't change their mind... and once the port is done... they are forced to get service with them even if it's for a short time period.  pretty underhanded practice... but it's legal... so there really isn't any recourse for the consumer...

oh.. and regarding people not reading disclaimers/warnings.... that might be true... but with that disclaimer/warning.... it's the consumers choice to read it or not... but the information is there... that's my gripe... and i know people will say: "but you can read it on page 43 in this thread in the forums'.... i don't feel i have to search through support forums for such a vital piece of information.

anyways... as i got my issue resolved.... all i can hope for is that all others with the same issue also get a swift resolution.

cheers.

outdoorsaddix
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@krazy89 I think the fact that the request is sent is kind of neccessary at the point where you enter your number because at that point it needs to check that the number is portable which I think is basically step #1 of the whole process. But clearly that makes it possible for old carriers to let go of a phone number when the rest of a signup process has not yet been completed

I don't think there is any chance any time soon of the whole process being revamped because that is an industry wide thing and I am not sure how much simply warning people would actually help because the majority of people don't read warnings and terms and conditions anyways. 

I think the solution as others have mentioned is to remove the porting option from the signup process and make it only possible after you have a working account and all services working on a temp number. I am going to go find that suggestion in the lab and give it a Bravo. It would probably go a long way to avoiding a lot of the other porting issues that came up over the promo. 

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Please post a link to your thread if you don't mind.

Nowaja

Good for you 🙂 It's interesting, that I posted the same problem first and still got no response and you already have all fixed 🙂

krazy89
@Rockdaddy22 I'm quite happy that I got my service up and running. Even happier with the service I got from @Cherine7.

It's glaringly obvious that the process needs revamping, whether it be with the carrier or the process they use between carriers to port numbers.

But, all carriers need to inform customers on the porting form that once they hit submit that the request will be sent, as most consumers assume that nothing will be finalized until I hit that final submit button.

Rockdaddy22
Porting your phone is a little different than shopping in a store. You had to order sim, wait for the sim, fill out the forms including inputting your phone number you wanted to port and then change your mind.

I guess I'm just new to this bug, hadn't heard about it until today.

I'm just happy you have service 🙂

krazy89
@kav2001c I have no experience with bell or virgin, I've had my service with rogers the last 15 years. So the experience I have is with PM and so far that part of the process is just plain flawed. Now, since there are other carriers with the same flaw, maybe the root of the problem goes further than the carriers?

That part I won't judge as I have no experience or knowledge

All I have to go by is my experience with PM and it was a little bit of a nightmare. Thank god this is my personal cell and not my business one. If that had no service, it would do some real damage

And to those people that question a consumer for changing their mind, have u never picked up something at a store, put it in your cart and then change your mind and put it back?

I don't understand why it's a hard concept.

Anyways, my issue was resolved with the very pleasant help of @Cherine7 Koodoos to you (can I use that word here?)

mb222

@Rockdaddy22 Smiley Wink No worries bud... thank you for understanding Smiley Happy

@krazy89 wrote:

yup... i completed the port form then thought about it... and thought that maybe i don't want to switch to a carrier that had no way of contacting by phone for service...

so just just closed the browser.. thinking... no way this will do anything since EVERY site has a final summary screen and confirm purchase

why the hell would you port a number over for someone that hasn't finalized their order?!?!?!

@krazy89 actually a couple of carriers will submit port request before you get to final summary screen

I totally understand why you thought quitting would stop process but this is not even a Telus/Public thing (for sure Bell/Virgin are same)

Rockdaddy22
I guess I had never heard of this bug. Sorry 😞

Rockdaddy22
🤐

mb222

I bought the sim to activate on PM which I did. Who changes there mind? Many people as shown by the many people having the same problem. 

What I don't get is how others can't have exercise some understanding and can't put themselves in others shoes and see how people are in different situations. @Rockdaddy22 haven't you ever changed your mind on anything? Haven't you ever commited anywhere from 1% to 95% into a decision but changed your mind? 

For my case, I decided before completing the order that it was better to not port, especially considering all of the porting problems people were having (I was reading the forums while putting my order through), and due to my line of work. I decided to port another time. Do you get it now?

mb222

I know. End of today is unlikely. And it also seems like a substantial request, but I just wanted to give a timetable to alert the mods somehow. I've also PM'd them. I need to get this fixed. My situation is time sensitive due to my depenendance on having my number working. It stopped working unexpectededly due to the port and the number is now out of service. I work in healthcare and need it working. 

To answer your question @Rockdaddy22, I inputted my number not expecting that doing so would complete the port. Similar to putting something into your amazon shopping cart, inputting your address, and credit card info, etc...then NOT clicking "proceed with order," I expected there to be a final check to "submit" or "cancel," which there was. I cancelled the request and instead chose to go through the process again and activate the sim with a new number. There was no indication/confirmation that the port was going to occur like there was with the activation of the new number.  Do you understand?

Rockdaddy22
@stonechucker that's what I'm not understanding. Who buys a sim fills out half the info and then changes their mind. Going as far as to input the number they want to port. Maybe I just don't get it 😞

Rockdaddy22
End of today at the latest lol

Rockdaddy22
@mb222 why did you put your number in the form if you didn't want it to port. I guess I don't understand.

SD08

@stonechucker wrote:

Honestly, reading this makes me think it is why all other service providers do the port after they sign you up on a temp number, and making sure the service is active.

Only Public Mobile lets you port your number during activation, and although members and mods recommend activating a temp number first, maybe it is time to remove the porting option from the activation process.

100% Agreed!  I actually have this posted as an idea in Public Lab:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/Temporarily-disable-number-porting-during-a...

krazy89

@rkreddyb4u believe me, i've PM'd every mod i can find 🙂

on a plus note... about 30 mins ago... i got my PM sim card activated and my number ported onto my account

@Cherine7 has been absolutely a pleasure to deal with... she/he(?) helped me in the last few hours via PM and she's got me up and running with my old number ported... and got me sorted on my plan....

Thank you very much @Cherine7

To everyone else that is still having this issue... hopefully you guys/gals will get sorted out soon.

mb222

I'm in the same boat as the OP: my number was ported in error. As a result, I've lost the plan with Freedom/Wind, and have to pay my tab of $300! That's among other more important reasons that I won't specify here. I have sent a PM, but may soon start a separate public thread to get some attention as this needs a fix by the latest, end of today!  Any other suggestions to get this done? @Shazia_K

rkreddyb4u

Please private message the moderators

oildrips
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I had the same issue. I started to transfer services about a month ago, cancelled, and this morning my Rogers account was closed.  I spoke in length to Rogers, went to get a new sim, and my old plan was no longer available, and they could not take my number back.

So I activated with Public Mobile, but I need to get my old number back as Telus now has it.

How do we do this?

krazy89

thanks for outlining the process...

everything is supposed to be transparent to the customer.... so i would have never known the process and steps...

all those behind the scenes steps are ok... seems pretty legit...

the only issues are:

1: PM never said anywhere on the porting form that once you click next that the request is sent...

2: PM needs to have some sort of process to hold port requests until the customer completes the account registration and plan activation... (whether it be assigning a temp number to the registered sim card) and once all those steps are done and complete, send the port request...  would this delay the whole port process... probably... but delay is better than no service... or have some override with user confirmation to skip this step..

3: PM needs to have a summary screen where all details are shown and requires user to click submit before actually doing anything...  i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one that abandoned the process 1/2 way...

but yeah.. this whole ordeal has gotten me to re-evaluate carriers and what i'm 'actually' paying for...

lesson learned...

to_munda
I am in the same situation as well 😞

outdoorsaddix

I don' think you are following, porting is a multi step back and forth process. 

1. The new service provider notifies the old service provider of the requested port.
  2. The old service provider is asked to validate the subscriber's information.
  3. The old service provider confirms the subscriber's information and notifies the new service provider.
  4. The new service provider notifies the NPAC of the requested port.
  5. The NPAC creates a pending port and sends a notification to the old service provider.
  6. Optionally, the old service provider notifies the NPAC that it concurs with the port.
  7. The new service provider notifies the NPAC to activate the port.
  8. The pending port is activated in the NPAC and broadcast to the telecommunications industry network within milli-seconds.

If #1 happened when you input your information but #7 never happened because you never got to paying and opening an account but Rogers still jumped the gun and closed your account and let go of your number that is partly Rogers fault. I can't image PM initating step #7 without account creation and payment. 

Either way, fighting with Rogers is what is going to make you whole in this situation and you need to do that in addition to filing your complaint if need be against PM. 

Need Help? Let's chat.