cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING! Broken Number Porting System

kenobi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

The automated number porting system simply does not work. 

I activated my public mobile SIM today, but porting failed with the following message:

"We are experiencing difficulties in processing this request. Please contact Public Mobile for additional assistance. "

I attempted three times, but I believe i was getting a different error message earlier. 

I have my Rogers service still activated, have my bill in front of me. Provided all the information they asked, but still failed. Why not fixing this problem or implement instant "Chat" service to help out those frustrated users like myself. 

Unless I can start using my Rogers number, I am simply wasting my $ with Public Mobile. I'm sure lots of users have faced or will face this issue as the promotion seems to be HOT at the moment. Not that I didn't expect this porting nightmare with a company like Public Mobile, but I am surprised that there is no other way than emailing them and posting a note here. 

41 REPLIES 41

kenobi

@srlawren Thanks for your advice, I tried different combination, and finally IMEI worked along with other info.

My number was down for about half hour, no incoming calls. but now it's working great.

I also agree with the point you made, they are offering the low priced service because of the system they are introducing - mostly automated. However, as a small business owner, you should never compromise your customer service quality to save your operating cost - in other words, if a company is not comfident with their automated serving system for any reason (lack of manual support staff, lack of technology integration, lack of knowledgebase), they should stop offering low price and go back to the old Telus or Rogers type of service, at least you won't damage your company's branding or reputation.

It's just my 2 cent.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

PS @kenobi if you haven't already, please try leaving the ESN / IMEI / MEID, PIN, and additional notes field blank.  Just fill in your Rogers account number, any alternate contact phone number (spouse's number, work phone, parents phone, home phone, anything), and your exact name as it appears on your Rogers bill (down to the capitalization, spacing, and any hypens or anything) and see if that goes through?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @kenobi,

The reason PM can offer these great rate plans is because they are operating as a no-frills carrier, supported by email and the community. Most of the time, this works great.  Unfortunately, right now they are a bit backed up due to all the interest in this promo plan.  I'm sorry that the experience has been poor, but I hope you decide to wait it out becuase once you're up and running, it's pretty awesome.

Reports of people being without number for days or weeks would be very rare, I'm struggling to think of any in recent memory.  Typically if your port has failed or hung, your previous service will continue to work, so you shouldn't be without service while waiting for assistance.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

kenobi

Exactly. I'm not sure why they chose this way to support their customers.. This can be a real deal breaker for many people. I've also read a few posts describing some people actually got stuck in the middle of the process and they actually lost their number for days and weeks. I'm sure lots of folks out there including myself, cannot tolerate this as we now rely so much on our mobile device.

I hope Public Mobile can improve the support and provide smooth on boarding process for people who are switching over. C'mon, you spent that much $ in marketing to upset the new customers? 

byah84
Agreed this issue is killing me it could be a deal breaker from me I went from a happy camper to an unhappy one

I think PM is still great, BUT I will agree that they must fix that peculiar issue to ensure smooth porting transition

kenobi

You're talking about Public Mobile's attitude towards its users right? 

Pier
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @kenobi,

Sorry to hear that you can't port your number out from rogers. Sometime you get the message the process goes through. Try to call someone to be sure the number hasn't been porting out yet. You can also clean your browser or use a different one to do the process. If nothing works, send a private message to @Shazia_K and she will take care of it for you.

Welcome to the community as well as to PM.

Yours,

No appreciation and no patient. Smiley Embarassed

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I'll be getting my SIM next week...fingers crossed porting issues will be sorted out soon Smiley Indifferent

Hopefully they'll be adding more staff very soon as well right now they have what like 3 moderators holding down the fort doesn't seem like enough support coverage to me?

vleung05
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

facing the same issue here  Smiley Frustrated

think their servers are overloaded with ppl signing up for this great plan

Need Help? Let's chat.