cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring a smaller SIM to a standard size SIM.

PeterL
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I currently have a cell phone with a small SIM card, and I want to transfer all the information from it, to a PM SIM card.

Must I use an adapter, or is there another way to transfer the data on the original SIM card?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

@srlawren wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

I spent 14 years in the Commadore world, before I got a 486DX2/66 clone.

sheltered.

@stonechucker fairly similar paths.  I started with a Colecovision Adam (with a TAPE drive!), then Vic 20, then Commodore 64 for ages (with a 5.4" floppy!).  I was briefly seduced by Apple while in high school and picked up a used Mac Plus with 4 MEGAbytes of RAM and upgrade to 3.5" floppy haha.  I remember purchasing an external 100 MB SCSI hard drive that was the same footprint as the Mac Plus and about 8-10" tall and cost over a grand.  Ah, fun times.  My first forray into PC world was also a 486DX2/66 clone!  

My first PC had a Texas Intsruments (not even branded as an original Cyrix) 486SLC 33MHz CPU.  It was even soldered to the motherboard.  This was back in the day that they would often call such a processor a 486 processor or even flat out lie and call it a 486SX.  @srlawren, your first PC sounds around the same time as me, so if you remember, the 486SLC wasn't even a 486 processor;  it was in fact, a 386! 

Blast from the PC past:  3D Micromputers in Markham (and how they had a sign in the wholesale pickup area saying "we are not responsible for loading your vehicle" but a customer scribbling "no, but it wouldn't hurt to be helpful to your customer either" and how they didn't even bother to put up a new sign),  MDG (read up about them and stories from the 1990s), Bondwell/IPC (really just the cheapest no name parts used from 3D Micro's inventory with different parts being used for a specific PC model each day),  Houston Technologies (slogan of "Everything Else is Peripheral" but people changing it to "everything else is preferable)/Tomato/Eurone/PC Chips and the fake/emty plastic cache chips....  Any of this sound familar?

OP, sorry, off topic, I know

I think this happened because we think of the past when thinking of the "mini"/full/standard sim card size beause I haven't heard of a new phone model in years using this.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker wrote:

sheltered.

@stonechucker fairly similar paths.  I started with a Colecovision Adam (with a TAPE drive!), then Vic 20, then Commodore 64 for ages (with a 5.4" floppy!).  I was briefly seduced by Apple while in high school and picked up a used Mac Plus with 4 MEGAbytes of RAM and upgrade to 3.5" floppy haha.  I remember purchasing an external 100 MB SCSI hard drive that was the same footprint as the Mac Plus and about 8-10" tall and cost over a grand.  Ah, fun times.  My first forray into PC world was also a 486DX2/66 clone!  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
  • Before moving your SIM, check if your contacts are actually on your SIM. Your old phone can export contacts to SIM using these steps. Assuming (Seems like) the new phone can read contacts off the SIM by itself.
  • An adapter is just changing the physical size of the SIM. It will not affect the actual SIM in any way.
  • Your new phone should be compatible with PM only on the 3G band (850/1900).

If this solves your question, please select my reply as Solution!

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@MacMe wrote:

If it is a 2G phone, it won't work with PM.

If it's a 2G phone, throw it out. Currently, only Rogers has 2G, and they're cutting it in 2020. Get a smartphone.

@will13am, I was formatting 720 3,5” floppys to 880 for use on my Amiga 1000.  Couldn’t share games with friends as everyone in my circles had PC/clones or Apple Lisa computers.  

sheltered.

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Your new phone doesn't seem to be a smart phone.  Yes, use an adapter on your SIM and see if the phone is compatible with Public Mobile. If it is a 2G phone, it won't work with PM.

You should probably check the phone's manual and see if you can import contacts.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Way back in the day when flip phones were the thing, people would store their contact list on the SIM card.  If contact information was stored on the SIM card, then it could be transferred over to the phone storage. 

I feel old taking about this.  If anyone wants to talk about floppy disks, I am in.

PeterL

Android... samsung galaxy grand prime

I was just on chaty with my new phone's manufacturer and they said I should simply put my smaller SIM from my old phone, into an adapter and use it in the new phone.

The new phone is a Jethro SC330

Thanks

MacMe

Do you have an iPhone or Android phone?

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@PeterL wrote:

Hmmm.. well the sim card in my oroginal phone is either a micro or nano SIM... not sure which.

My new phone uses a standard sized SIM card.

Now I also have a mini/micro SD card, which I think will slot right into the new phone.

So, mt question is:

Does the old SIM card hold my informartion, like my phone number, name addreess, etc? Does it have my cointacts?

If yes, how do I transfer that info to the new larger sized SIM card?

I think I'm missing some basic info here.

Look forward to your help

Thanks

Unless you imported your contacts to your sim then should you need to export contacts/texts from it in the transition process. After which import it back to your new sim. This process isn't automatic.

For automated contact transfers, Android usually binds contacts to your google account. Apple does it through icloud.

PeterL

Hmmm.. well the sim card in my oroginal phone is either a micro or nano SIM... not sure which.

My new phone uses a standard sized SIM card.

Now I also have a mini/micro SD card, which I think will slot right into the new phone.

So, mt question is:

Does the old SIM card hold my informartion, like my phone number, name addreess, etc? Does it have my cointacts?

If yes, how do I transfer that info to the new larger sized SIM card?

I think I'm missing some basic info here.

Look forward to your help

Thanks

mynamejc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

+1 to the above poster requesting for clarification on SIM vs SD card.

If it's really the SIM what are you looking to transfer? In this day and age, contacts (which were historically stored on SIM) should be ideally stored on to cloud attached to your apple account or gmail account for convenience.

Otherwise you might be able to copy the contacts from your phone into the new SIM. Your phone doesn't need to have service for that happen.

MacMe

@PeterL wrote:

I currently have a cell phone with a small SIM card, and I want to transfer all the information from it, to a PM SIM card.

Must I use an adapter, or is there another way to transfer the data on the original SIM card?

Thanks

Are you talking about a SIM card or a SD card?  Usually information is stored on your phone or a SD card.

If you just want to switch to using the smaller SIM card, you need to log into self serve and click on the Plans and add-ons tab, then Change SIM card.  

Need Help? Let's chat.