cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering/HotSpot/Iphone

LanZab
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am confused. Some people in their posts say you can't tether or create a hostpot with PM, and others say you can. I have an Iphone SE and I don't seem able to connect my MacBook to my internet from my phone. I could on Bell, but since switching cannot. Can someone please help me? 

Thanks 

6 REPLIES 6

LanZab

I plugged my phone in directly, and then it worked. So maybe was just having an issue connecting over wifi. 

Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LanZab wrote:

My APN for Personal Hotspot is set to "sp.mb.com", but for some reason I still cant connect at all. 

Did you also try isp.mb.com?

You have data in your plan?

You have data left in your data bucket alottment?

You can browse internet sites with your preferred browser?

Your Cellular Data is on?

Your Personal Hotspot is on?

Can you see the name of the phone you're trying to connect to in your connecting device wifi list?

Are you connecting to the phone using the password you put in on the phone?

LanZab

My APN for Personal Hotspot is set to "sp.mb.com", but for some reason I still cant connect at all. 

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

@LanZab wrote:

I have an Iphone SE and I don't seem able to connect my MacBook to my internet from my phone. I could on Bell, but since switching cannot. Can someone please help me?

Can't see why not. Works for me. Does your browsing in your phone browser while on cell data and not wifi work? Have you picked up any of the updates by connecting to itunes while on wifi?

@CalgaryBen you still around?

I occasionally tether my iPad to my iPhone SE, and it works seamlessly.  Key is to set up your hotspot APN properly, as the default will usually be blank.  Take a look at this post for details.  But in short, on your iPhone, go Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Data Network -> PERSONAL HOTSPOT / APN -> sp.mb.com (or isp.mb.com also seems to work). Leave Username and Password blank.

Edit: Also, probably obvious, but ensure Settings --> Personal Hotspot --> Allow Others to Join is set accordingly (you may want to enable it for testing, and then disable afterwards), and your Wi-Fi Password is what you expect.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@LanZab wrote:

I am confused. Some people in their posts say you can't tether or create a hostpot with PM, and others say you can. I have an Iphone SE and I don't seem able to connect my MacBook to my internet from my phone. I could on Bell, but since switching cannot. Can someone please help me? 

Thanks 

Don't believe everything you see and read. Tethering is allowed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LanZab wrote:

Thanks 

Can't see why not. Works for me. Does your browsing in your phone browser while on cell data and not wifi work? Have you picked up any of the updates by connecting to itunes while on wifi? Not sure how that works. I'm not an Apple guy.

@CalgaryBen you still around?

While you wait to see if the resident Apple expert comes along...this thread from him has an astounding amount of helpful information. 

Need Help? Let's chat.