cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for an email app?

seallaibh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Community.

Yesterday I did a system update on my phone, and the update eliminated the stock email app built into Android. (Not sure what they were thinking.)  Does anyone have a suggestion for a good email app to access my POP3 email account?

19 REPLIES 19

seallaibh

@srlawrenHelp from community members certainly made it easier.  How many times have we all run through 2 dozen apps that do a job before finding one that fits?  So much better to have a couple of solid recommendations to run with.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@seallaibh thanks for the updates! Glad things are working for you 🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

seallaibh

That article was very useful, @NDesai.  Thanks! 

@srlawrenI've had GMail for years and didn't realize I could set it up to fetch mail from my other accounts.  Totally lame, I know.  And whatever problem Outlook was having when I installed it, it seems to have gotten over itself without any help from me despite me and now sends emails no problem.

srlawren

@NDesai wrote:

The Verge just wrote an article on the best email app: https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/28/17911432/best-email-app-ios-android

Fortutitous timing!  Thanks @NDesai

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

The Verge just wrote an article on the best email app: https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/28/17911432/best-email-app-ios-android

Google hosts my personal domain.  I use the Gmail interface on whatever browser I have access too, except on mobile devices.  I use the actual Gmail App for those platforms.

MrMonk

I use 🍏 but I like Gmail or Outlook. There are other great apps, but I really like these two. Hope this helps!

srlawren

@seallaibh out of curiosity, what is the domain name of your POP3 mail?  (like gmail.com, live.ca, shaw.ca, etc--the part after the @ symbol in your email address).  Many mail providers offer Exchange ActiveSync support, which provides a better experience than POP3/SMTP.

srlawren

@seallaibh weird issue with Outlook.

FYI you can use the Gmail app with multiple accounts, including a POP3/SMTP service if desired.  You can switch back and forth, or use the "All Inboxes" view to see both inboxes combined.  Just a thought.  I've never tired Blue Mail personally.

seallaibh

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all the suggestions.  I've downloaded BlueMail and Outlook to try out.  I use Gmail but need something to connect to my unrelated POP3 account which I use mainly for work related things.  BlueMail is working fine, but Outlook is having a few hiccups.  The app made me download about 6 verification codes to log in and then told me that my daily limit had been exceeded to try again tomorrow.  It will receive emails and let me read them, but won't let me send emails because it says my account is suspended.  Outlook sends emails just fine if I log into live.com from the laptop so I'm not sure what that's all about.

I believe Outlook is much better than the rest. It works without any issue and they have been working hard to improve the app 

srlawren

@koimr1 wrote:

Nine - Email and Calendar - expensive, might be overkill and I've never used myself but have colleagues who rave about how good it is 

@koimr1 I purchased Nine a few years ago when I was at a different employer.  The employer at the time had a number of policies in place such that if you tried to connect the Gmail client or Outlook to their Exchange server, it would force you to either accept giving them a number of remote admin privs (which I was not comfortable with) or cancel adding the account.  I'm not sure how, but Nine seems to get around this.  I've been using it for my work email ever since.  If I hadn't already paid for it, I'd probably just use the Outlook app for Exchange.  I use the Gmail app for my two personal Gmail accounts, Outlook app for a live.ca and a shaw.ca (neither of which I used much), and Nine for my work Exchange mail.  Yikes.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Here's a small list with my own completely-subjective comments. 🙂

Nine - Email and Calendar - expensive, might be overkill and I've never used myself but have colleagues who rave about how good it is

Microsoft Outlook - I use for my work account, does the job adequately

Email -Fast & Secure mail for Gmail Outlook & more - I used this before and had issues with notifications but my understanding is that has been fixed since, otherwise good replacement

Blue Mail - Email & Calendar App - I've used this before and really can't remember much about it. 🙂

Gmail - The basics, works as expected, I'm currently using this for personal email

There's quite a few email apps available - go to the Play Store and do a search and try them out.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Give gmail a look also. 

mimmo

report back.  intereted in hearing about both.

seallaibh

Thanks.  Will try out both suggestions and see which works best for me.

seallaibh

Thanks for the suggestion.  Will try it out.

tbark
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There is a highly rated email app called Blue Mail for Android on the Play Store.

mimmo

I'm liking the outlook app

Need Help? Let's chat.