cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony Experia X Performance signal

pboynett
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi All,

Quick questions for y'all.  I just bought an (ironically named) Experia performance to replace my lost Nexus 5.  I am getting very low signal anytime i am indoors, outside seems to be okay for the most part.  Is it possible that the new sim could be an issue?  I assumed any signal strength issue was soley related to the hardware?  Does anyone else have this phone by any chance and, is so, any issues with signal strength?  I actually really like the phone but obviously am frustrated by the signal issue.

Thanks all for any advice.

Peace

Paul

12 REPLIES 12

surf99992001
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I have been in a few friend's condo, where I have one bar. I notice when I knock the cellular setting down from LTE to 3G, because of better building penetration, I get an extra bar or two when making phone calls. 

Devil_tear

your phone will always try to connect to LTE if available because it is considered a better network. as i said before aws signal is weaker inside buildings and you might be in an area where the telus network has LTE only on band 4 (1700/2100)... Telus (and as a result PM) use LTE on band 2 and band 4, if you only have band 4 in your area your signal will be weaker when on LTE. but it also could be that the xperia "likes" to connect to the band 4 because the signal is more stable than band 2 in your area but your nexus was constantly switching between band 2 and 4 and it was giving you the impression that the reception was better. 

Devil_tear
No... Because you can change the setting how you just did.. And Sony is one of the manufactures that usually supports the most bands... You should be fine but you have to update your software to latest and play around with the band settings to find the best for you... That's my opinion anyways

pboynett

I am getting the LTE signal.  Is it correct to say that I shouldn't be worried about the number of bars my phone is showing?  Thought that might be why my MMS sending is spotty but probably an unrelated issue

pboynett

Devil_tear
Does your phone have 4g/LTE signal? If so you have no speed reduction... I am using the LTE/CDMA/UMTS Setting and it works fine for me... Did you try that one?

pboynett

I bought the phone off of buy/sell site.  Pretty sure the phone was unlocked from the beginning.  Should I contacy seller to see what carrier he used or does it even matter?

pboynett

I am using a different sim card as I lost my last phone.  Reception was good with Nexus 5 in areas where reception is now bad.  I switched to WCDMA only and am getting full signal but wondering what kind of speed reduction I am getting

Devil_tear
Another question that I have is where you bought the phone... I.e. if you bought if from wind the settings for your band reception might be set on AWS which notoriously has bad reception indoors... If your settings are on WCDMA preferred or something with WCDMA you should change that....

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi Paul,

Did you use the same SIM card previously with your Nexus 5 in the same indoor locations and it was fine?  If so, I doubt it's the SIM card.  Different phone models have different radio sensitivities, so it's quite possible that it's the phone, unfortunately.  Do you still have the Nexus 5?  Can you switch the SIM back and verify you're getting good signal in those indoor location(s) with it?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

I highly doubt it could be the SIM card, especially if it was the same one as  before.  It must be a hardware related issue.  Maybe there is a software update needed that could address that?

Devil_tear
First thing first.. I'm guessing that you never had problems with your nexus 5 right? If so check if you are running the latest software for your phone... With software updates Also come driver updates for your hardware witch might solve your issue...
Need Help? Let's chat.