Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referral Code on Sim Card vs Account Information Code

PatB
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

After activating my PM account today, the overview provided a referral code: 

"Sharing is caring!
Tell your friends to use this code xxxxxx or link when they activate with Public Mobile."

But on the back of the PM Sim card holder, there is a sticker with a different number: "Referral Code xxxxxx $10 off".

I imagine that the # linked to my account information on site here would be the one to give out to friends. 

So now, I'm wondering... should I have used the # on the back of the card to get my $10 discount? If so, I really thought that it was the # to give to friends. 

12 REPLIES 12

@PatB wrote:

The cardboard jacket itself is certainly legit & the seal was unbroken. The card enclosed was perfect in every way & I had absolutely no problem using it. 

From what I've seen, there is no seal on packaging for Public Mobile sim cards. Either way, a seal or plastic shrink wrap is easy for a company with the right equipment or with a box of stickers. I actually don't see that much of an issue wtih the sticker with the code. You purchased a sim card and that product was provided. After you've received the sim card, there isn't any way that anyone can force you to use that code. 

Agreed. Just a paper folder with the SIM card inside.

Seems to me that the SIM card should either be free or very close to free, maybe free plus postage of $1-$2 if the seller is getting the referral. Though yeah I know, nothing saying you have to use the referral code that comes with the card and anything goes in a free market. I’m quite sure there are some here on the forum who have free SIM cards for people who don't otherwise have a referral code to use.

AE_Collector

@PatB wrote:

I'm really sorry to hear that. I bought the card at the same time as the phone, both from sellers on Amazon. 

I always check the reviews carefully prior to buying, even when the ordered item is fulfilled by Amazon, which was the case with this card. 

The cardboard jacket itself is certainly legit & the seal was unbroken. The card enclosed was perfect in every way & I had absolutely no problem using it. 

I would never have known that it had been touched by anyone before me. 

Thank you for that information. 

@PatB, I have never had a card come from Public Mobile that was sealed.  So the seller has added the sticker and placed a seal on the SIM card envelope themself.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PatB wrote:

zblackma

No, I didn't use that one. I used one from one of the reviewers of these cards, who had posted some really helpful, detailed information. 

I wouldn't worry about which code was used when. You should get the $10 credit. Some unknown stranger will get a $1 per term as long as you remain active. Nice that you are using a helpful reviewers code.

Now you have your own code to give to others so that they can get the $10 and you would get the $1.

The really questionable sellers actually pre-activate the SIM for you using their referral code.

PatB

zblackma

No, I didn't use that one. I used one from one of the reviewers of these cards, who had posted some really helpful, detailed information. 

PatB

I'm really sorry to hear that. I bought the card at the same time as the phone, both from sellers on Amazon. 

I always check the reviews carefully prior to buying, even when the ordered item is fulfilled by Amazon, which was the case with this card. 

I would never have known that it had been touched by anyone before me. 

Thank you for that information. 

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@PatB did you use the one on the jacket when you activated? Its a scam whereby someone sold you the sim card and in addition will benefit from the $1 per referral per 30 day cycle.

You can use any referral code when activating. I would get a friends referral code and contact the moderators and ask them to switch it. Explain what happened and that you were tricked into using that one. Welcome to Public Mobile.

@PatB wrote:

Just to clarify, the sticker was on the back of the actual card, which was enclosed in the protective jacket. 

So that would mean that Public Mobile affixes these stickers with #'s, which I guess they choose at random, but I hope that they choose them from among the most active of you people here, in the community. 

Thanks again to all for the quick replies.  

Public Mobile does no such thing. A sticker with a referral code means that you did not buy this sim card directly from Public Mobile. The sticker was attached by someone else, most likely the seller.

PatB

Just to clarify, the sticker was on the back of the actual card, which was enclosed in the protective jacket. 

So that would mean that Public Mobile affixes these stickers with #'s, which I guess they choose at random, but I hope that they choose them from among the most active of you people here, in the community. 

Thanks again to all for the quick replies.  

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@PatB  the one in the overview is your referral code. Always use the one in your self service account. If someone activates with it, as long as their account is active and in good standing you receive a $1 reward every 30 day cycle. For you to get the $10 credit you would have had to use someone else's.  Stay safe.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@PatB 

Use your refer-a-friend code from your self-serve account to refer your family or friends to get the $1 reward per 30 days.

The code in your self serve account is for you to refer others. If you sim card packaging had a code on it, that is the result of someone else trying to refer you.

Need Help? Let's chat.