cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE DATA switches to 3G from LTE on the GO Train from Bramalea to Union randomly

deep_gupta
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I had a question regarding the data change from LTE to 3G on the train till union station while other friends on Bell/Telus/Koodo individuals dont have their service changed to 3G while im on the train. Also the data is unusable at 3G speed for some odd reason. 

Also i did some speed test in Toronto downtown by CN tower and im unable to get good speeds.

My download speeds were 21.80 Mbs download, ping 22 ms and Upload as 7.67 Mbs.

Im using an iphone 6s and my celluar data settings are isp.mb.com .

I was wondering if this is normal speeds or not.

Also, my friends with Bell are able to get LTE+ speeds in the same exact location over 150 MBPS

download in the same location. I agree there are network and tower connections priority.

But I found this interesting. Is there a speed cap for prepaid network and priority for Bell customers

compared to Telus/Koodo/Public mobile users.

Also how do i activate LTE+. Please let me know if there are other settings needed for 3G data apns.

I have tried airplane mode toggle on/off for 2 mins but no change.

Im not complaining just curious.

Thanks,

Deep Gupta

7 REPLIES 7

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mikefradette yes, I've seen 4G+ occasionally on my phone.  It's fairly rare (greater Vancouver area--your mileage may vary).  It seems to come on in little bursts--I don't think it's on all the time, I think it just kicks in when you are actively transferring some data.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mikefradette
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Does Public Mobile offer LTE-A (aka LTE Advanced)? TELUS does and PM is owned by TELUS.

I know you have to have a phone that has a modem that supports LTE-A. Here are the Apple devices that do and their speeds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_devices_with_LTE_Advanced#Apple

jheili99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

it must be band related then..PM uses band 4 LTE .... not many providers use this band....

cheers

ps: i'm getting in Surrey area about 28-35 download and about 7-10 upload

deep_gupta
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

1. Well i saw the speedtest and i myself with koodo have gotten over 100 MBs downloads. I have screenshots to prove this. Again these test change and vary due to location but being downtown Toronto i expect the speeds to be better.

2. Ya for calls it does switch to 3G as voice communications are over 3G/HSPA network not over LTE.

I have no calls coming in it jus says 3G and its not very reliable but the Bell's 3G network ( Telus doesnt have Towers in GTA) (thats why i said Bell not Telus )is still fast and i shouldn't have issues sending whatsapp messages. Thats why i asked.

Can anyone confirm that there is a cap or priority or something.

Again im not complaining just curious and if it was it makes sense as the speeds are much lower.

Also i agree with Public mobile the speeds are still good but im guessing if it was the same network, same data speed why would anyone stay with Bell/Telus which are the parent companies.

Agreed they have newest phones and family plan but Im guessing they get better speeds due to the fact that they pay more.

Thanks,

Deep Gupta

jheili99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

hi..

1. i doubt he gets LTE speeds of 150 mb/s unless he is connected to a wifi ( sort of what shaw uses with their "shaw open" .....common is around what you got +/- a few mb/s .... you can google the internet about average lte speeds..

2. 3G switch is normal as 3G is a stronger signal and if LTE gets too week it switches to 3G...also: voice calls are coming in via 3G thus each time you receive a call it will switch to 3G and after that back to LTE ..sometimes this switch comes in delayed due to network search ...

cheers

Is it possible you're blocking your attenna?  I know when I hold my phone in the wrong place, I drop from LTE to 3G.  As soon as I move my hand, it's good.

rkreddyb4u
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

same results for me - possibly there is a retriction on the n/w side at 21 MBPS

Need Help? Let's chat.