Question about my plan - Roaming

sith
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, 

My plan is currently as:

• 12GB Data
  • Unlimited International Text
  • Unlimited Provincial Talk

I live in Calgary and this is my home base. When I went to BC (Golden) i lost connection (both voice and data). Do i need to add on a roaming package everytime go out my base, especially when I go to another province within Canada. 

Appreciate any help on this

Thanks

SJ 

5 REPLIES 5

@stonechucker wrote:

@computergeek541, i would same Freedom is really the only one with a roaming agreement, as that is what the AWAY network is.

you could argue Bell and Telus roam on the others network, but it run as one big network.

I know that there are examples of Rogers having a roaming agreement with Bell/Telus and calling it EXT and include it no extra charge for most customers.

Even if Telus has a roaming agreement with Rogers, Freedom, or one of the other smaller companies and include it for no extra charge for their customers, my point is that I highly doubt Public Mobile customers would have access to it.

@computergeek541, i would same Freedom is really the only one with a roaming agreement, as that is what the AWAY network is.

you could argue Bell and Telus roam on the others network, but it run as one big network.

@sith wrote:

Hello, 

My plan is currently as:

• 12GB Data

I live in Calgary and this is my home base. When I went to BC (Golden) i lost connection (both voice and data). Do i need to add on a roaming package everytime go out my base, especially when I go to another province within Canada. 

Thanks

SJ 

As others have said, service should have worked, although you would have needed a long dstance add-on to make calls outgoing calls to non-BC phone numbers.   

Travelling around the country is not what roaming means.  Roaming happens when you are connected to a different network (and I'm not sure if Public Mobile even allows customers to connect to the other Canadian networks).

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

No, you should not need anything else.

SMS and Data are Canada wide for everyone, and province-wide voice will call locally in your visiting province as if you were in your home province.  Only difference is calling back to Calgary will be long distance (need an add-on), and incoming calls will connect without the add-on.

Not sure why it's not working for you.  Shutdown and restart your phone?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@sith wrote:

Hello, 

My plan is currently as:

• 12GB Data

Thanks

SJ 

No you shouldn't and I am not sure why you lost service unless there are no telus or bell towers in that area.  With Provincial wide calling what every Province you are in becomes in Province calling but if you were to call back to Calgary you would need a long distance addon.  With the loss of both services makes me thing there was no towers in the area.  What type of phone are you using.

ETA.  Not sure where in Golden you were if you were right in the town or on the outskirts.  I did find that there is a Telus cellular tower there but not sure on what coverage it provides.

Golden.PNG

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.