cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Length of Number Porting?

disneybear15
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How long does it usually take to port a number and cancel your old/ pre-exisiting phone plan?

8 REPLIES 8

steff12321
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The process takes less than 2 hours in most cases if it is a mobile number being ported. 

For landline numbers/VOIP, the transfer will take between 1-2 weeks. 

In either case, you will get a text message confirmation when the transfer is complete, and the old account will be cancelled automatically. The most important thing to ensure is that you put your account number or PIN number correctly when you are submitting the porting request, since this is most likely the only thing that will go wrong. 

JaimeLaPizza

Thanks @Pizzaeh for those two web pages: very complete information from a totally credible source.  Could not ask for more ! 

teckit604
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just ported my wife # from Koodo, it only took 1 min. And everything work after I got the cancellation email from Koodo.

JaimeLaPizza

@Pizzaeh thanks for pointing that the account at the current service provider must not be cancelled if one wants to port their number to their new service provider.  You are right, do not cancel before porting !  However, in my post I was refering to cancelling after porting, which you say is not needed.  OK !  Smiley Happy

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JaimeLaPizza when a number is ported out from another carrier, that automatically cancels the line with the old carrier.  The old carrier should not be called to cancel the line; the line must be active with the other carrier to be ported to a new carrier.  

JaimeLaPizza

For me it was about 2 hours.  Before that I could call but when people called me it ended up in my previous voice mail box.  You will receive an SMS when it all completed.  I had forgotten to cancel my plan with my previous service provider, but when I called a few days later, the person told me that my account had been closed (it was as if porting had caused the account to be cancelled, which would seem logical).  However, I would recommend to call anyways and make sure everything is cancelled because the person told me to watch my next credit card statement to make sure my pre-authorized payment have also been cancelled !

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@disneybear15 it can take up to 48 hours to complete. 

Need Help? Let's chat.