cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodoo vs Public Mobile

Heavyrocker
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Koodo keeps offering me to switch over to them from Public Mobile and saying it will cost the same and a free months service to start,do ya all think its a good idea,im happy with public,but with Koodoo i will get a live person for service...any thoughts?

24 REPLIES 24

@WearySky wrote:

@steadfastly wrote:

I am not sure how much better Koodo is and I think PM has been good for me so far. I would not switch just because what koodo says. Certainly call centre will make things easier but PM service has been as good as all my other previous carriers if not better so I will stick around and I know Mod team will always help me out if questions

I've found Koodo's phone support to be worse than PM's online suport, for me, since switching to Koodo at the end of Feb... But I also earned $300 in referral credits, and got $450 off a Pixel 2 XL, and I'm getting an extra 2GB of data a month plus Canada-wide calling. So I'm willing to make that sacrifice for the savings. 🙂

+1 on the support end.  Koodo support is quite YMMV, whereas I am almost on a first name basis with the small moderator team here.  Koodo referral support is nearly useless.  They only support email interactions with questions submitted from the website.  Any attempt to respond to their response is met with dead silence. 

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@steadfastly wrote:

I am not sure how much better Koodo is and I think PM has been good for me so far. I would not switch just because what koodo says. Certainly call centre will make things easier but PM service has been as good as all my other previous carriers if not better so I will stick around and I know Mod team will always help me out if questions

I've found Koodo's phone support to be worse than PM's online suport, for me, since switching to Koodo at the end of Feb... But I also earned $300 in referral credits, and got $450 off a Pixel 2 XL, and I'm getting an extra 2GB of data a month plus Canada-wide calling. So I'm willing to make that sacrifice for the savings. 🙂

steadfastly
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Al_C

Thanks for the help!

@Al_C No refunds for amounts prepaid; that is the purpose of the $100 credit. Koodo sometimes give a credit for any Available Funds, but only if you call and spend time with an agent.

You can also get a referral credit of $25-$50. Look here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Referral-for-Koodo-Migration-of-50/m-p/23...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Heavyrocker you answer it already yourself 😃

Al_C

The Koodoo plan I was offered by text is slightly cheaper than my current PM one, without even taking a $3 incerease into account. However I just renewed my 90 day plan a couple of weeks ago, I'm guessing I would lose that and that's why Koodoo offers the $100 in bill credits? Would be nice if I got a refund for the 2 months remaining that I paid for but that's likely too good to be true.

Anyone have any experience/feedback about this?

Quest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Mana wrote:
Does this mean that slowly everything even all non-legacy plans will get moved to Koodo?

@Mana  We are talking here about Pioneer Customers. If you want to know who is Pioneer, there is a part on this forum exclusively devoted to that topic.

Public Mobile want to become fully on line and get rid of call center. In order to do that they are working very hard to encourage some users to switch to Koodo or to one of their Latest Plans.

I think that some of the latest deals are design for Pioneers that don't want to switch to Koodo but stay with PM.

@WearySky  Explained it probably the best way.

On the other hand I know why @Mana has doubts.

There are some rumors circulating at Koodo Kiosks that PM is going to close soon which is obviously not true but convincing enough for others to switch in panic to Koodo without knowing the facts.

There is nothing wrong with switching to Koodo if it is done consciously and based on individual preferences.

WearySky

@Mana wrote:
Does this mean that slowly everything even all non-legacy plans will get moved to Koodo?

No.  They're working hard to build up the non-legacy subscriber base.  They just want to get rid of the legacy plans because they want to get rid of the call centre.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

Quest

@Heavyrocker  When you are switching to Koodo or to one of their Newest Plans you basically helping and supporting PM in becoming Truly and Fully On Line Mobile Company.

If they will be able to achieve that probably more Great Promos will come.

WearySky

@Heavyrocker wrote:

LUD:

Ive been googling kodoo reviews of customers and it dont look that good,im thinking ill stick with PM,if it aint broke,why fix it.Another thing is PM hasnt increased the price of my account for over 3 years.Whos to say  koodoo wont jack up the price a few months later.

PM and Koodo are both just Telus sub-brands.  

If you're a legacy customer, PM *is* increasing your price this month, by $3 a month.  That's why they're sending you the Koodo offer, so that you don't have to have a price increase.  But Koodo, as far as I know, has a pretty good reputation for keeping grandfathered plans around similarly to PM.

echf

@Heavyrocker wrote:

LUD:

Ive been googling kodoo reviews of customers and it dont look that good,im thinking ill stick with PM,if it aint broke,why fix it.Another thing is PM hasnt increased the price of my account for over 3 years.Whos to say  koodoo wont jack up the price a few months later.

I would say you won't feel any different. PM and Koodo's parent is the same. The network is the same. And I haven't heard Koodo like to increase prices on old customer (I heard Bell/Virgin likes to). 

If you have a newer phone, Koodo offer fancy features like visual voicemail. 

Heavyrocker

LUD:

@Heavyrocker The only Legacy plan truly worth the effort to maintain is the $19 provincial only calling. The $25 Canada wide calling and texting might be IF you do a lot of calling outside your province. Otherwise the current calling/texting promo will actually be cheaper when Rewards are considered.

If you don't like Koodo you can always return.

BTW: Koodo tech support is NOT always free; anything you can do on self serve is NOT included but charged at $5 (I believe) per incident.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Watoko

@WearySky wrote:

@Heavyrocker wrote:

When does the $3.00 increase start?....end of this month?

Started April 1.  More information here: https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/serviceupdate

I feel like there was one feature that was actually an extra paid add-on with Koodo, that's included in PM legacy plans.  But now I can't remember what it is.  Call forwarding maybe?  Ugh, I can't find the thread about it now. 😕

I think it was Call Forwarding, but I also believe in that thread if you argued with them and said it was part of your old plan, then they would have included it at no additional cost...Trying to find that thread too haha.

WearySky

@Heavyrocker wrote:

Started April 1.  More information here: https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/serviceupdate

I feel like there was one feature that was actually an extra paid add-on with Koodo, that's included in PM legacy plans.  But now I can't remember what it is.  Call forwarding maybe?  Ugh, I can't find the thread about it now. 😕

whenever the deadline was to switch

Heavyrocker

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

If I were a legacy customer, I would go to Koodo.  The writing is on the wall, things are not going to be the same with Public Mobile.  So why not leave when conditions are better.

It's a personal choice, but a no brainer to me, everything stays the same, no $3 increase and you get phone support.

I always go month to month- I hate contracts (or tabs is what Koodo is known for). If you are a legacy customer, and dont switch to Koodo, you'll see a $3 price increase on your plan.

Its all about what you need and want. So if you prefer support with a real person at a kisok, or over the phone, it could be a good option.  

Heavyrocker

And koodo says no contracts,just the same plan month to month,seems tempting,the offer ends end of April.

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

are you a legacy plan holder? This is why pepole are seeing this. PM is basically phasing out everything call center related to go online. They're all under Telus. So if you prefer someone to talk to, and hardware support, it could be a good option. 

Need Help? Let's chat.