cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much data would you use?

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Since some of the recent larger data plans from various carriers have popped up some people question why you would need, 10GB, 12GB or even 16GB a month. I’d like to poll the community on how much data do you really want to use? I’m talking about how much data is in your plan but your actual and preferred usage if there were no limits.

 

If you were given an truly unlimited plan with no throtlling, and it was priced affordability for you, how much data would you use per month on your mobile device?

 

EDIT: Just noticed some carriers now have plans as high as 42GB and unlimited calling for $410/month. 

22 REPLIES 22

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Jonavin wrote:

Since some of the recent larger data plans from various carriers have popped up some people question why you would need, 10GB, 12GB or even 16GB a month. I’d like to poll the community on how much data do you really want to use? I’m talking about how much data is in your plan but your actual and preferred usage if there were no limits.

 

If you were given an truly unlimited plan with no throtlling, and it was priced affordability for you, how much data would you use per month on your mobile device?

 


500-800GB per month which is my average monthly combined internet usage. I would have my laptop tethered to my phone instead of using wifi.

 

However since mobile data is extremely expensive I stick with 500mb per month and don't even use it.

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@RobertQc wrote:

@Jonavin wrote:

Since some of the recent larger data plans from various carriers have popped up some people question why you would need, 10GB, 12GB or even 16GB a month. I’d like to poll the community on how much data do you really want to use? I’m talking about how much data is in your plan but your actual and preferred usage if there were no limits.

 

If you were given an truly unlimited plan with no throtlling, and it was priced affordability for you, how much data would you use per month on your mobile device?

 


500-800GB per month which is my average monthly combined internet usage. I would have my laptop tethered to my phone instead of using wifi.

 

However since mobile data is extremely expensive I stick with 500mb per month and don't even use it.


Think of it as if the cost of home internet and mobile data is $1. Now woud you still tether your laptop to your mobile or just use the home wifi?

 

The question is if data costs didn’t matter and was truly unlimited, how much MOBILE data would you use? I bet it’s a lot more than 500MB but not 800GB either.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I would do the same and forgo a home internet plan.  My usage would be in the order of 500 GB per month.  Right now with limited use plan, around 3 gigs is sufficient.

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The only time I actually use data is when I'm commuting. When I had 6GB with Chatr, I used about 1-2 GB a month. With Public right now, I would say I'm at 1GB if it weren't for the bunch of speed tests at the beginning of the month.

 

In a perfect world with unlimited data, I would still use a similar amount. Maybe a little bit more because I would just keep the hotspot on for friends/colleagues to connect to. I will not stop using home cable internet because of stability.

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have 6GB but I would use 12 if it didn’t cost me much more. I think a lot of user self-limit their usage due to costs, which is the responsible thing to do but image the freedom to just use data anytime you wanted.

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am wrote:

I would do the same and forgo a home internet plan.  My usage would be in the order of 500 GB per month.  Right now with limited use plan, around 3 gigs is sufficient.


Would you forgo home internet, in this imaginary world, if the home connection was free.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I don't use data at all. Places that I frequented most all offer wifi.

If you live in urban areas, ditch data. Get add-ons when you travel.

mynamejc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Realistically, if unhindered I'd probably use 10-30gb a month. I wouldn't have to hold back if I want to stream some video and large gifs. I'd let things stream in the background. I will still prefer to use WiFi over data because of latency and since I have wifi most of the time I likely won't hit those big numbers.

 

With the internet getting more and more bloated we really need the big gigs.  Of course, to hit those numbers I'd probaby need full speed LTE or else I'd spend a lot of time waiting for things to load.

As I’m not authorized to use WiFi at work for my personal device, I’d probably use about what I currently use, 2.5 GB per month.

 

Home WiFi is stable, and unlimited at 30 Mbps Down, 5 up.

 

Download for offline streaming on WiFi high quality audio and maybe video.  Any cellular streaming at lower quality.