cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! no SIM card message

bloodmeridian
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I recently bought a Google Pixel 2 and decided to switch to PM. I received my SIM card yesterday and proceeded to activate it, set up my plan, and port my number from my old carrier. However, when I inserted the new SIM card in my phone, I received a "no SIM card - emergency calls only" message. I've powered off the phone and removed the SIM card, but that doesn't seem to work.

I should note, that when I changed my phone number on the PM website, my existing Koodo plan was immediately cancelled. But when I checked my PM account, it provides the correct phone number, so that probably isn't the issue. So, I'm not sure if the SIM card is the problem, or my plan, or perhaps I need to change settings on my new phone?

I'm at a loss, I'd really appreciate some help.

5 REPLIES 5

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I tend to agree with your powers of deduction.  probably best to buy a new sim card from walmart or wow, hopefully mods will be able to credit you the cost of the sim.  

sim cards rarley go bad but it's possible a little mishandeling (happened to me before) can ruin the card.

A porting issue cannot possiblity make a phone say "no sim card".  In fact, even a not-yet-activated sim card (or garbage old used sim card) inserted into a phone would not cause that error message. When this message is displayed, that means that he phone is not physically detecting the sim.  So, this won't have anything to do with the account itself, but rather with the physical connection between the sim card and phone.

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I would guess that the most likely problem is a problem with the porting of your number.  You should hear back from the Moderators soon with an answer.  Hopefully it gets sorted out soon!

bloodmeridian
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I tried the SIM card in my friends phone, and it didn't work. I then tried his PM SIM card in my phone and it did work. My powers of deduction suggest that it's a faulty SIM card. Or could it be something else?

I will contact the moderators, thank you.

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Do you have another phone that you can test the SIM card in?  That would help to tell if it's a problem with your account, or a problem with the physical SIM card (i.e. it could be damaged).

It may also help to contact the Moderator team to see if you ran into a glitch in the process of porting of your number over to PM - they can check on the status of the port.

Need Help? Let's chat.