cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

Aomok
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I went to the US last Thursday (Dec 15) and got back today (Dec 19). Before I left, I purchased US roaming data, and it worked great.

HOWEVER, the data usage showing on my account on Dec 15 was ~1200MB of 12GB, but when I checked today when I got home, the data usuage is now showing as ~2100MB. How is it possible that I used 900MB of data while not being in the country, and while using the US roaming data I purchased?

I also checked my partners account who I travelled with and was in the exact same situation, and his data usage has not changed at all in the 4 days.

Can you please shed some light on this @Shazia_K?

6 REPLIES 6

@Vickel wrote:

If you are on an iPhone check it wifi assist is on, it automatically uses cellular data when it has issues using wifi.

Im not sure if there is a similar feature on android. 

Some Android phones will display an exclamation mark beside the Wi-Fi symbol in the notification bar if you are connected to a Wi-Fi network but you have not logged into it (public hotspot) or if your phone detects that there is no valid internet connection being provided to your router.  When this happens, your phone wiill start using your cell network's data connection.

The benefit for that is that you can continue to use the internet, but the downside with that can be using your cellular data connection unknowingly. 

Not all Android phones do this.  Some of them will automatically connected to saved Wi-Fi networks that aren't providing a valid internet connection and then disable your cellular data, resulting in loss of connection.

Vickel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you are on an iPhone check it wifi assist is on, it automatically uses cellular data when it has issues using wifi.

Im not sure if there is a similar feature on android. 

Aomok
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Thanks didn't realize I could check daily! The 912MB were used in the day I was traveling, and on the same day my partner used 190MB. We were sitting in a airport lounge on free WiFi most of the day, and the times we were not, there should have been no data used coz we would've been in the air.
I just checked and the airport WiFi is still saved in my phone and I remember checking to make sure I was connected.. So I think it's a mistake.. I guess I'll see what the mods say..

Vickel
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

In your account if you go to the Plans & addon tabs then usage history you can see the data usage per day.

Maybe that can narrow down to when the extra 900MB was used.

If it was during the time you were in the US. PM will hav to look into that issue.

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hm, I might have one suspicion:

Did you have background app updates active?

My guess is that because you were away, all apps needed refreshing when coming back to Canada. This means as soon as you crossed into Canada and had data service again, the app updates downloaded and used up your data.

But I find 900MB quite a lot of data.

ReillyWood
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Good question.

You can check your daily data usage under your PM account details.  Does it show you using Canada data while away?  There's a possibility the data usage was just late in posting to your account.

Rob Wood

Need Help? Let's chat.