cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use long distance minutes for local calls?

Happygal47
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm running low on local minutes but I have the 400 long distance gift minutes. Are those useable for local calls?

13 REPLIES 13

Sitamistry
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

He's correct, my sister uses the add-one as her extra minutes if she runs over!

@Lowufo wrote:

If your on the $15 - 100 min plan and have the $5 - 500 min add on. Then you got the 400 minutes for free from PM how are the used up if calling in Canada. Of course the 100 are used first then I would assume the 500 mins followed by the 400 mins. Is this correct?

@Lowufo  Yes, that is the correct order.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lowufo wrote:

If your on the $15 - 100 min plan and have the $5 - 500 min add on. Then you got the 400 minutes for free from PM how are the used up if calling in Canada. Of course the 100 are used first then I would assume the 500 mins followed by the 400 mins. Is this correct?

Yes.

Short enough for you geopublic?

Lowufo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup. Relax. And who here doesn't find something to add to a thread to fill in more information...including you. It was more a comment towards PM anyway...not you. It's not your fault the article is out of date.

I mentioned older plans due to them maybe having province-only. I went with my more recent Canada-wide understanding as an assumption to fill out my description.

The OP's question was can they use their 400 LD addon for local calls. The answer is yes. What does it matter what plan the OP is on or the 500 minute addon? The article link was included to give the poster a better understanding on how addons work in general.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@Kelvin87  No need for a rep to confirm. The article below is a good read to get a better understanding on how addons work.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/overview-of-add-ons

That help article is out of date. It doesn't mention the 500 minute add-on.

We're not sure what plan happygal47 is on as it could be some grandfathered or legacy/pioneer plan.

The only limited minute plans that I have known are/were Canada-wide. There are the three add-ons that also have Canada-calling in them. When out of minutes it will then use minutes from either of those add-ons on hand. Easy if you only have one add-on. If you have multiples then it will use the relevant one. It will use the 500 if calling Canada. It will use the 200 if calling the US. It will use the 400 if calling the UK. It also switches seamlessly in-call.

@Kelvin87 wrote:

Hi!

I can see the confusion here.

From my experience with other carriers. The long distance add on only converts the minutes you already have.

So for example if you have the $15 plan with 100 minutes. Your 400 long distance gift minutes become 100 minutes of long distance and local calls.

However, since Public Mobile offers only 100 minutes of Canada wide calling or Unlimited Canada wide calling; its weird that they would distinguish "Long distance" minutes unless its to the United States.

So technically if that is the interpretation, your 400 gift minutes should be tacked onto your 100 minutes that you have now giving you 500 minutes for local or long distance calling.

Is there a Public Mobile rep to confirm? 

@Kelvin87  No need for a rep to confirm. The article below is a good read to get a better understanding on how addons work.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/overview-of-add-ons

Kelvin87
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi!

I can see the confusion here.

From my experience with other carriers. The long distance add on only converts the minutes you already have.

So for example if you have the $15 plan with 100 minutes. Your 400 long distance gift minutes become 100 minutes of long distance and local calls.

However, since Public Mobile offers only 100 minutes of Canada wide calling or Unlimited Canada wide calling; its weird that they would distinguish "Long distance" minutes unless its to the United States.

So technically if that is the interpretation, your 400 gift minutes should be tacked onto your 100 minutes that you have now giving you 500 minutes for local or long distance calling.

Is there a Public Mobile rep to confirm? 

@june1  Incorrect, the 400 minute LD addon can be used to make calls anywhere in Canada. In fact, Canada is listed as one of the countries on the list.

june1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

No, you do require mobile air time for long distance call, it is a long distance addon minutes only.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Happygal47 wrote:

I'm running low on local minutes but I have the 400 long distance gift minutes. Are those useable for local calls?

@Happygal47  Yes they are and the addon will automatically kick in when needed.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Once you are out of your plan minutes, there is no distinction made between Canada and International minutes on the 400 min add on.

Unless you have the $5 for 500 Canada wide minutes addon. It will still be used first if it's a call within Canada.

Need Help? Let's chat.