cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buzzer code dial in from same Province but connect to voice warning said this is Long Distance call

EstherB
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

my plan is Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Buzzer code dial in from same Province but connect to voice warning said this is Long Distance call. Who can help me? thanks. 

29 REPLIES 29

@bpto, thanks for replying to a 1 day short of two-month-old thread.  If it was still a concern, I;m sure the poster would have asked for further assistance.

bpto
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

There are lots of services out there that solve this problem for very cheap for people that don't want to change their phone number. I ran into the same issue. Check out Buzzly or something like that.

Yes of course...and additional info for @EstherB if a number change hasn’t been completed yet.  

Terry

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector 

Yes thank you. I'm well aware of what's going on in this thread. But your post will be good for other readers.

@Anonymous wrote:

You had somehow managed to acquire a Clearwater BC "local" number. The "buzzer" system is a landline kind of phone. Therefore it would not like to call Clearwater with its long distance block.

Unfortunately, the only numbers currently viewable under the Change Number function are area code 236. But I wonder if your phone system would know that it's a "local" area code or whether it would really only want to connect with 604 or 778.

If you're not attached to your 208 number then I suggest going into the Change Number function and looking up BC-NEWWESTMINSTER or BC-VANCOUVER and selecting a 236 number of your liking from either.

If your "buzzer" system still doesn't like it then I suggest asking the moderators to find a usable number from the Telus pool of numbers that would be local to those areas. They did it recently for someone in AB for a Calgary number.

Edit: after all that...ninja'd by computergeek541 🙂

The inability of the Enterphone system at the building to make a long distance call would strictly be because the landline it uses to make the call is specifically blocked from making LD calls at the request of the strata council. Any problem with the brand new BC Area Code 236 would be extremely unlikely as the Enterphone system wouldn’t be making the decision whether to actually route the call, the landline at the Telco CO Exchange would be making that decision. 

In the end, if @EstherB  wants her 778-208 cell number called by the building Enterphone system she is going to have to change to a Greater Vancouver phone number. As pointed out, her having a Canada Wide calling plan is irrelevant as it isn’t her plan that is making the call, it’s the building Enterphone system. Generally you want to have a local number to where you are most of the time as many people don’t have cell or landline phones with Canada wide calling and simply wont return your calls when they get a recording saying your number is a long distance call for them. Also, a panic 911 call will likely get you to emergency authorities in Clearwater BC losing precious time in an emergency. All things to take into account.

Terry (37+ years with BC Tel & TELUS)

@EstherB, this is exactly what I expressed earlier in my first post in this thread.  You either need to change to a Vancouver number on your Public Mobile line, or activate a landline, or even a Koodo 'home phone' type cellular service with a Vancouver number.

Until you do so, your buzzer box isn't going to connect to your telephone number.  It will continue to fail.

Edited to add: It doesn't matter what your calling plan is, as incoming calls are not affected by that.  The only thing that matters for the call box is your number *MUST BE* local to the calling area your strata is in.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@EstherB wrote:

@stonechucker i asked my landlord, they said the strata wont allow. There will be long distance charges for the strata. my area code and prefix is 778-208-xxxx, i live in Burnaby, Vancouver. i don't have fixed line and i only have mobile plan by PM, my plan included UNLIMITED Talk Canada-wide. thx

You had somehow managed to acquire a Clearwater BC "local" number. The "buzzer" system is a landline kind of phone. Therefore it would not like to call Clearwater with its long distance block.

Unfortunately, the only numbers currently viewable under the Change Number function are area code 236. But I wonder if your phone system would know that it's a "local" area code or whether it would really only want to connect with 604 or 778.

If you're not attached to your 208 number then I suggest going into the Change Number function and looking up BC-NEWWESTMINSTER or BC-VANCOUVER and selecting a 236 number of your liking from either.

If your "buzzer" system still doesn't like it then I suggest asking the moderators to find a usable number from the Telus pool of numbers that would be local to those areas. They did it recently for someone in AB for a Calgary number.

Edit: after all that...ninja'd by computergeek541 🙂

@EstherB wrote:

@stonechucker i asked my landlord, they said the strata wont allow. There will be long distance charges for the strata. my area code and prefix is 778-208-xxxx, i live in Burnaby, Vancouver. i don't have fixed line and i only have mobile plan by PM, my plan included UNLIMITED Talk Canada-wide. thx

Your number is not a Vanouver number.  778-208 is from Clearwater, BC.  Unless you've become attached to that number and wish to keep it, I would suggest to immediately change to a Vancouver phone number.  Otherwise, other peopple might have to pay to be able to call you.

EstherB

EstherB

i asked my landlord, they said the strata wont allow. There will be long distance charges for the strata. 

EstherB
my code area and prefix is (778) 208 -xxxx, I am live in Burnaby

@EstherB, can you let us know what City you're in, and what area code and prefix (the first 6 numbers) of your phone number are?

For example, my number would be 226-802.  It's a Brantford ON number assignment.

I think that is the best guess and the most likely scenario. If @EstherB wants to be called by the building entrance system the Public Mobile cell # will have to be changed to a local number, IE not long distance from typical landlines.

I’m sure it’s a call going to the subscriber, and it’s giving the message because the buzzer box is calling a non-local number.  Again, it doesn’t matter what plan @EstherB is on, but it would be great to find out if this is indeed the answer.

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

@EstherB wrote:

my plan is Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Buzzer code dial in from same Province but connect to voice warning said this is Long Distance call. Who can help me? thanks. 

I quoted the original post here. EstherB hasn’t been back with any more info and to me the actual problem is very unclear. I think we have covered most of the possibilities in our discussion and now need some additional info from the OP.

Okay that makes sense. You are describing what I have called a Second Generation System. It makes sense that there would be no provision for the system to call long distance as in the past this would never have been a legitimate scenario with the system calling a landline in unit 310.

There could be more modern Second Generation systems with data connection for VoIP rather than POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) line and ability to send text etc. I have no idea if this exists yet or not.

Terry

Okay, possibly I miss understood what you were saying, and you've cleared it up for me I think with your description.  Maybe there is or isn't a third generation.  I'm not a phone line installer, so I'm not up on all the tech, but I do live in an apartment where a 'buzzer box' is used.

I know for sure in my case, the property management company has call service provided or the call box, that will only dial local numbers, as they do not wish to call long distance, so whether it be a landline, cellular, as far as I know, there is no option (in my building) to have an analog phone hooked up directly to the box.  In other buildings, I know it is available.

In any case, and this one, in particular, the LD charges may apply issue is with the inbound call and not the subscriber's calling plan.

Okay we agree for the most part, maybe there are really three generations rather than just two. I installed first generation systems for BC Tel in Greater Vancouver area. Try this...

First Generation:

-Equipment in phone room that each landline circuit is wired in and back out of.

-Typically incumbent telephone company pots lines.

-Dialling code for unit 310 operates relays & ring voltage to the port cross connected to unit 310’s wiring in the main phone room.

-If unit 310 has no landline service but has a landline phone connected to the out port programmed as unit 310, phone will still ring and allow conversation and door control.

-System will interrupt phone calls in progress to alert tenant to person at door and allow that to be dealt with while holding the original phone call.

Second Generation:

-Equipment in phone room has no connections to landline circuits for each unit.

-System is programmed by management to call whatever number the remnant wants, could be their landline by any provider or their cell phone.

-Call to tenant is made over a conventional landline phone line connected to the system.

-If tenant has a landline with no call waiting feature the person at the door will hear busy signal.

-If tenant isn’t home person at door will get Ring No Answer or answering machine etc.

Third Generation?:

-I have no info, possibly VoIP connected to system to eliminate need for a hardwired landline like Second Generation System?

@AE_Collector wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

New systems do not need an actual phone number to call, they just need an 'old style' phone in the unit to accept the call.

To me you’ve said this in reverse. Older “Enterphone” systems had each phone line wired through them meaning that even without landline service as long as you had a phone in your unit connected properly to the building entry system you would get the call from the door. All newer systems simply dial the number using a post line. This type of system is much easier and less expensive to install, gets around all the hassles of having different landline providers having to wire their pots line through the Enterphone and finally, these systems allow your cell phone to be called rather than needing a landline type phone in your unit.  Terry915EA3CA-10E5-49A3-B34A-1AAD8D4ED267.jpeg

@AE_Collector, I must disagree with you.  The older technology was wired to each unit/apt/etc using the internal telephone wiring systems.  Newer VoIP setups now allow for 'no landline' services similar to dry-loop DSL setups to day.  Newer construction includes now include fibre to the node and/or legacy cabling, making buzzer box connections easier.

@GinYVR wrote:

For me, it seems adding +1 as a prefix works for my application.

@GinYVR, yes when you dial OUT on your Public Mobile phone, this is the case.  However, in the case of @EstherB's issue, the call is coming into her phone, as it's the buzzer box at the gate/front door of her complex.  So adding +1 does absolutely nothing to resolve this issue.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

For me, it seems adding +1 as a prefix works for my application.

@stonechucker wrote:

New systems do not need an actual phone number to call, they just need an 'old style' phone in the unit to accept the call.

To me you’ve said this in reverse. Older “Enterphone” systems had each phone line wired through them meaning that even without landline service as long as you had a phone in your unit connected properly to the building entry system you would get the call from the door. All newer systems simply dial the number using a post line. This type of system is much easier and less expensive to install, gets around all the hassles of having different landline providers having to wire their pots line through the Enterphone and finally, these systems allow your cell phone to be called rather than needing a landline type phone in your unit.  Terry915EA3CA-10E5-49A3-B34A-1AAD8D4ED267.jpeg

Daphne1

As stonechucker say, check with your landlord/condo corp.

You may need a local number for the buzzer code to work,

With Public Mobile, it is free to change your number. You’re allowed once every 30 days.

@EstherB, I see this is your first post here, so I'm assuming you're a new subscriber.

If you live in an apartment or condo complex, almost always the call box at the door(s) will be local area calling only.  It sounds like to me, you have an out-of-town (still the same province) cellular number.

If this is the case, you'll need to either gt a local number, or get a landline installed if the system isn't able to accommodate a non-live number.

@EstherB  this is a problem for the buzzer, not the subscriber.

Your front door system is programmed to either call 'local' calls only in 10-digit format or cannot call out of 'local dialling area'.  Check with your landlord/condo corp.

It doesn't matter what plan you're on, but your phone number may be a long distance from your call box.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@EstherB wrote:

@EstherB  You can ignore that warning since you have unlimited Canada wide calling. To avoid the warning see if you can setup your phone to dial +1 before every number in your contacts.

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@EstherB wrote:

We get this all the time, calling a number that is LD typically. Even in the same province. Just ignore it, and you won't be charged.

If the call doesn't go through, that's something else...But I think it will.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@EstherB Normally "Long distance charges may applied" when you dial out of province call. I have that all the times, the call will go through. 

@EstherB wrote:

If it is saying "long distance charges may apply", you can either ignore the message or dial the 1 before it so that you don't need to listen to the recording.  Itl's possible that the number is long distance, but that long distance to that destination is included in your plan.  Does the call go through?

Need Help? Let's chat.