cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking data

Lynne17
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My sons plan only has 250 mb. Is there a way to block their data after 250 mb being used?

6 REPLIES 6

@Rottenkid- Would you be willing to provide an image of the whole text that showed up on the phone and showing the number it came from? This has happened to a number of people.

@J_PM- I firmly object to the company sending out texts to the sim in its phone regardless of who is holding the phone and making it way too simple to BUY the add-on offered. Buying add-ons requires spending money on the card. Spending money on the card SHOULD require a pin or password of some sort. This method is all kinds of wrong as the company has no idea who is holding the phone. Teaching moment or not, it's wrong.

Rottenkid

How do you make sure he doesn't have access to those? I just found $210 in data charges on my son's account (this is his account) because they texted him and asked if he wants more data!!!

SMS notifications are sent when 75% and 95% of data have been used. 100% usage just ends data until plan renews or add-ons are purchased.

There's never any overusage charges. If you can't purchase more prepaid data (through Self-Serve or 611) then you've just gotta wait until it refreshes at the start of the next cycle. Public Mobile doesn't have anything like "service passes" or "shock free billing" which allow phone-users to exceed nominal data allocations.

Free wi-fi at home, work, school, or public hotspots are the next best thing. It's smart to turn mobile data off (and to disable all background data, updates, etc) until you actually run a browser or app which needs to use it.

@Lynne17  just make sure that your son doesn't have access to the self service account and the 611 4 digit code. Since he can purchase data add ons if he has either and if you have an attached autopay credit card. Stay safe 

Lynne17

It’s good to know! Thank you for your help much appreciated!

Take care.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

You don't have to do that @Lynne17 the data will just stop working when used up. And reset for the next 30 day cycle when the bill is paid. There are no overages here. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.