cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply an account data block

mattsasha3193
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am aware of how to turn off data on my phone. Telus had a feature where I could turn it off through their My Account software. It was a better way of ensuring there were no crazy data charges while travelling to another country. My phone seems to turn data back on when it crashes or restarts. Is this feature also available on Public Mobile?

7 REPLIES 7

Postpaid plans are not the same.

On prepaid, you must pay immediately for call service.  On postpaid, you are provided a bill, which is due at a later date, meaning you Get to use the service before you pay for it.

This is the same as fast food vs. fine dining.  Pay to get your food at McDonalds, or eat your food before paying at Chez Henri.

PM prepaid is the McDonalds, you pay now to get service, no overages.  Other prepaid services like Freedom are a hybrid with the overages due postpaid.

The big 3 and and Middle 3 postpaid providers main services are the Chez Henri, pay everything after you use it, except for the device on Device purchase or subsidized device purchase, where you need to pay for the device at time of sign up, but the plan is billed later.

@stonechucker wrote:

Unless it has changed since I was with WIND, I believe Freedom has a prepaid service, with a postpaid overage bill for the previous cycle.  AWAY charges can build up quick on that network.

I'll say that all Canadian carriers "postpaid" plans are really prepaid.  So-called postpaid plans are always billed a full month in advance, although anything not already covered by the base plan is billed on the next bill (as you stated).  This isn't any different than any other carrier's postpaid service offerings.  When Wind first started out, they really did true "postpaid", with the first bill only being issued after you've used the service for a full month.  However, they changed that fairly quickly - I beleive only a few months after the Torotno launch.

Currently, Freedom offers both prepaid and postpaid options, just as they (and Wind) always have.

Unless it has changed since I was with WIND, I believe Freedom has a prepaid service, with a postpaid overage bill for the previous cycle.  AWAY charges can build up quick on that network.

@popping wrote:

All prepaid services in Canada do not work the same way as PM. 

Chatr has something called pay per use.  If you have available fund in your Chatr account, Chatr will use your available fund to pay for long distance charge or roaming charge etc.  Since Chatr is zone based.  Any available fund will be clean out quickly on roaming charges.  

I like PM which does not have pay per use charge.  If I do not purchase add-on, my available fund is safe until my next renewal date.

To my knowledge, everyone else (other than Public Mobile) is like that too. Pay-per-use charges will use up your account balance. Believe it or not, it is the now defunct Mobilicity that got this right.  While it may seem unecessarily complicated, the concept of having separate account balances (for montly payment) and "wallet" balances (for pay-per-use charges) was something ahead of its time and worked quite well.  Sadly, Chatr abolished this system after absorbing remaining Mobilicity customers.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

All prepaid services in Canada do not work the same way as PM. 

Chatr has something called pay per use.  If you have available fund in your Chatr account, Chatr will use your available fund to pay for long distance charge or roaming charge etc.  Since Chatr is zone based.  Any available fund will be clean out quickly on roaming charges.  

I like PM which does not have pay per use charge.  If I do not purchase add-on, my available fund is safe until my next renewal date.

There's really no reason to have a data block at the account level. It wouldn't serve any purpose at Public Mobile.  There's no way to be charged for anything.  In fact, for every other country other than Canada and the United States, the service wouldn't even work.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@mattsasha3193 wrote:

I am aware of how to turn off data on my phone. Telus had a feature where I could turn it off through their My Account software. It was a better way of ensuring there were no crazy data charges while travelling to another country. My phone seems to turn data back on when it crashes or restarts. Is this feature also available on Public Mobile?

There canno't be any extra data charges. This is pre-paid. If you did not pre-pay for the service you do not have it. You canno't be charged for anything extra.

Same thing goes for long distance / out of country / 1-900 numbers. This is the beauty of a pre-paid service. There are no overages because you only get what you paid for. 

Need Help? Let's chat.