cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MY DATA IS BEING USED BETWEEN NOON AND 1PM BY SOMEONE OTHER THAN ME

bruno1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

last september I found myself with no data 1 week into a 3 month plan. eventually with public mobile washing their hands of the responsibility or even any curiosity and dumping the responsibility on me, I went into my usage files on my account and found that something was taking my data between noon and 1 pm an a daily basis. IF ANYONE HAS LOST DATA CAN YOU PLEASE CHECK TO WHETHER THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING TO YOU.

17 REPLIES 17

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Great information.  Thanks. 🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@koimr1 no worries, I definitely understand that not everyone will be concerned--I just like to point it out for people to be aware of.  🙂  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

koimr1

Yes, I understand the concerns but I'm willing to put up with it because the app itself has been so helpful for me. 🙂

There is an opt-out as well in the settings: "Opt-out allows you to remove yourself from any data collection related to anonymous mobile market research." - not sure how much that opts you out though.

For Data Witness PM, I will give it another shot at some point - when I first used it (when I moved to PM) it was not very accurate for me.

srlawren

@koimr1 I'm always a bit hesitant to recommend MDM, due to the privacy issues (link to their privacy policy).  On Android, I'd definitely recommend @IWIK's excellent Data Witness PM.  (My guide to Data Witness)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

koimr1

I was just about to post the same link @srlawren did. 🙂

I would also suggest installing an app like My Data Manager that will also show you usage as well as setting up intervals for 90 days and notifications when there's a lot of data being used. I have the Android version and it's been quite accurate for me. 

As others have said, the usage history in Self-Serve seems to be a total for the previous 12 hours and not your real-time usage.

srlawren

@bruno1 how to see what apps are using up all your data on an iPhone:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Data-add-on-not-working/m-p/173894/high...

The between 12 and 1 thing is totally normal.  The usage history does not show data real-time, it's updated once or twice a day during that time period and is the sum of all the data used since the last update.  

@bruno1

Do you have WiFi assist on?

It's supposed to enhance your WiFi experience if the network strength falls below a defined level by connecting your device to your cellular data. That obviously means that it would count towards your data bucket, even if you think you are on WiFi. (Disclaimer: That's my understanding as a non-iOS person.)

As @ute1978 has suggested, make sure that software and app updates as well as any back-ups are only allowed over "WiFi exclusively".

Also, the usage history is not showing real time usage of your data - your accumulated data amount is posted roughly every twelve hours.

Oh, and you mentioned changing plans... I don't  know what plan you are on right now, but keep in mind that you'll only be able to change to available in-market plans and will loose any grandfathered promo plan (or "bonus data").

ute1978

Do you have iCLoud or some other backup software? If yes, turn off.

Do you have App Updates turned on on data? If yes, turn off.

bruno1

iphone 5

bruno1

so you are saying that the usage is being logged at that time for the past 12 hrs

bruno1

iI'm changing plan back to 30 day with only 500mb for caution

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yikes... check your phone data consumption meter or download one off the store that can monitor data usage by app. Just trying to rule out if it is a problem with your phone or somebody using your data via your phone (ie. tether). Definitely try turning off your phone at these times as a test.

oh, and what kind of phone do you have?

bruno1

don't know. could be not shuttin off pages....however I never did have a problem before. yet still with no data remaining on my usage  it drew more and always between noon and 1 pm

bruno1

one day it  took almost 3gig

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

further to @will13am's comment, turn the phone off (completely off) prior to this happening daily and see if it still happens. I'm curious as to why this would be happening.

Also, you didn't mention how much data is being used up in this time period.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

To suggest that someone else is using the data is to suggest that account security is failed. As broken as the self serve portal may be, I don't think there are any holes in the system that extend to usage accounting.  I am sure network metrics like that are managed by Telus and totally solid.  I suspect the data leakage may be due to some sort of sync function.  Check the phone logs.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

I don't think it's anything bad.  I've looked at my usage also, and it appears to be a twice daily (ie every 12 hours) recording of the data you've used.

Unfortunately, there are no AM/PM or 24-hour times listed, so it's only an asupmtion on my part.

Need Help? Let's chat.