Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send text messages to landline phones

Val_T
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

Even though Public Mobile doesn’t offer text to landline service, some of you have figured out a way to use it anyway.  So we have some news specific to those smart cookies:

Effective March 22, 2016 we will no longer support texting to landline phone numbers.

Why won’t Public Mobile support text to landline feature anymore?

Quite simply, it’s because the demand for this service has declined steadily and very few customers are using the feature.

What happens if I send a text to a landline after this date?

If you send a text after this date, it will not be delivered and you won’t get an error message.

8 REPLIES 8

There also is an opt out if you request it for this on every Canadian carrier (incl Public).

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ckl no problem.  I only know from accidental first-hand experience.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren Thanks for the explanation.

srlawren
@ckl it ends up getting converted to speech via software and then a call is placed to the land line and the system reads the text message to the person that answers (or their voicemail).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

What is the purpose of texting to a landline? I know my VOIP service accepts text messages but my cordless phone has no way of displaying or checking it so even if somebody texted me, I wouldn't know.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire
The old (pre reward plans) actually used to send txt to landline. My only issue is that other carriers who charge an extra fee for txt to landline (esp since I probably txt my friends landline in error). As long as PM never charges a fee for it no diff if it is gone

kutzki
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

LOL @srlawren I've had the same issue. Just texted a wrong number and it replies saying I've texted a landline.

srlawren

@Val_T the only times I've ever done it were when I picked the wrong phone number for a contact when sending a new text accidentally.  I don't think many will miss it.

Need Help? Let's chat.