Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile at London Drugs!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

As you know, over the past 12 months we’ve put a ton of effort into growing Public Mobile. Thanks to your continued support, we are growing each and every day and, as a team, we are excited for what’s to come over the next year.

Along these lines of growth, we are excited to announce that we are making it easier for you to purchase and activate our SIM cards by making them available at London Drugs stores. As with our other retail partners, you will continue to have the option to activate at home or activate in-store, based on what you prefer. London Drugs stores are predominantly located in Alberta and British Columbia, meaning that this launch will allow us to make our brand more accessible to our Western customers. For our friends out West, we hope you enjoy the added convenience!

If you happen to be near a London Drugs store after we launch, we’d love to hear your feedback on how things are going.

-Public Mobile Community Team

130 REPLIES 130

lstokes
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yeah, this is not okay. I will be linking these posts to LD head office for them to review and ask them to please reinforce the message that customers are aloud to purchase SIMs WITHOUT activation regardless of "stock situations".

Liam

@Brooke_C@Mary_M, are you seeing the posts in this London Drugs thread?

Apparently having same refusal to sell SIM cards without activation to customers, and a message also says a member of the Moderator team confirmed this is a stipulation.

Time to put the SIMs in Koodo and Telus locations.  This is rediculous.  Stop with third party retailers who will not honour the rules.

vbcrain
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

well maybe it's time the mods got to on the same page then, I don't see why it would \ should be different at LD then it is at Walmart

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vbcrain, that is totally NOT true.  It has been confirmed by moderator @Mary_M, in this  recent post, that retailers are not allowed to force you to activate in store.

vbcrain

This is the response I recieved from the mods_team:

"The London Drugs sales associate is right, they can't sell you a SIM card without activating the card and picking a plan."

vbcrain

No the case, just wanted to purchase the sim to help port my friend to get the $25 credit and referal.

Doesn't seem worth the effort anymore

Haiggy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you were trying to take advantage of a promotion where the SIM would be free, then yes it would need to be activated first in-store for the $10 discount.

@GeerGuy wrote:

London Drugs in Red Deer will not sell SIM without activating it.  Discussed it with 3 employees in the Cell/Photo section.  The reason that they gave was that they don't have very many...

cappaj

@GeerGuy wrote:

London Drugs in Red Deer will not sell SIM without activating it.  Discussed it with 3 employees in the Cell/Photo section.  The reason that they gave was that they don't have very many...

Send a message to Moderator_Team with the store details - location, employee name(s), etc. - they want a heads up on all of these cases.

(My local Walmart said they same thing, it's a supply issue - which I think is a common line a lot of them are taking, but sounds like BS.)

GeerGuy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

maark

My sister recently wanted to sign up for Public Mobile and I came with her to London Drugs yesterday to get a PM SIM card. We appreciate that PM is reaching more customers in the West.

We tried to take the SIM card home so we can activate it at home, however we were not given that option at London Drugs and had to register with an associate which took a while. I just saw this post after we went to London Drugs and I want to make sure that PM knows that LD did not give a register at home option in my sister's experience.

lstokes

As far as a company policy from LD, I can confirm that customers are aloud to just purchase the SIM and activate it themselves. Of an employee tells you otherwise, please get their name and the location of the store. I can pass this info along to Head Office so that the employee can be reminded of said policy.

Cheers,

Liam

@vbcrain wrote:

Would be great to be able to purchase just the sim without requiring to register for a plan. I wanted to buy just the sim card (so I could do a referal for a friend) but couldn't.

Could you guys change that?

@vbcrain wrote:

Would be great to be able to purchase just the sim without requiring to register for a plan. I wanted to buy just the sim card (so I could do a referal for a friend) but couldn't.

You should be able to purchase the sim without activation. However, some retailers are going by their own rules. Whether it is the individual salespeople or if they've been ordered by their superiors to only do activations is anyone's guess.

I'm really not sure what Public Mobile can do about this.  It really depends on the agreement that Public Mobile has with each specific chain of retailers.  But if you thinik of it, I would take a guess that the most Public Mobile could do would be to yank the authorized dealer status. That would just lead to there being even less places to get sim cards.

vbcrain

Thanks,

I'll give that a go and see if they can extend the time for the $25 credit.

cappaj

@vbcrain wrote:

Unfortunately, that's how it's supposed to work. Some retail outlets are making it their own rule though that they won't do that.

Send a message to Moderator_Team to let them know the location where that happened, the name of the salesperson, etc. They want to follow up on these things. You could also explain to them what you had hoped to do, and see if they'll adjust your referral credit (not sure if you'll have any luck with that, but couldn't hurt!).

For anyone else - I recommend calling ahead before visiting a retail location to confirm that they'll sell you the SIM without requiring you to activate there, you'll save yourself a lot of potential hassle.

vbcrain

Effort

@B_man wrote:

I would much rather deal with London Drugs than Wal mart .my son went in to buy a card for his phone and they told him they didn't carry that one. They were hanging on the wall! 

You should make a topic in the retail section of the forum with the specific Walmart you had trouble at. It would probably save some people some time by not going to that store.

B_man

I would much rather deal with London Drugs than Wal mart .my son went in to buy a card for his phone and they told him they didn't carry that one. They were hanging on the wall! 

Haiggy

Nice to hear! I took advantage of this when I activated mine - didn't realize it was so new to the fleet of retail outlets that carry Public Mobile!

Chenco

Maybe you are right. All I see is the LTE on my wireless network bars.. but makes no difference to me since I am under wifi coverage  about 85% of the time. Thanks for correcting.

Chenco

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Enjoying LTE speeds on 3G plan. Couldn't be more happy.

Chenco

@Chenco   I think you got it backwards. 

You are getting 3g speeds on an LTE network.  The 3g plans are capped at 3mbs up and down.  some people have noticed if they switch to 3g network mode  they get higher speeds than 3mbs, but that means you are not using the LTE network.  

@bxmobiler1 wrote:

I activated at London Drugs last week but never got the promo credits! The only thing I got was the $10 referral credit but not the $20 activation credit.

Unfortunately, you need assistance from the Moderator Team. Click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with a description of your issue along with your phone number and 4 digit PIN. If you’ve forgotten the PIN, provide any 3 of the following in your message: complete mailing address, email address, alternate phone number,  last top up date & amount

Moderator hours are: Monday to Friday, 9 am (ET) to 9 pm (ET); Saturday - Sunday 9 am (ET) - 7:30 pm (ET). Usually they answer within in a few hours, but can take 24.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

bxmobiler1

I activated at London Drugs last week but never got the promo credits! The only thing I got was the $10 referral credit but not the $20 activation credit.

Aïssata_B
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@jag604, till August 8, 2018, refer a friend and you will each get a one-time $25 credit! Note this offer is available to customers who activate online only! If you or your referred friend decide to activate at a retail partner location, you (or they) will receive $1 off per 30 days as part of our regular referral program.

Hope this replies to your inquiry, have a great weekend 🙂

Cheers,

Aïssata

jag604

@Chenco wrote:

You might now wish to take advantage of the $25 referral credit introduced today until Aug 6. Can easily buy SIM and voucher from WOW mobile kiosk near you and have to do online activation. Walmart is YMMV with regards to selling SIM only.

Good luck.

Chenco

What's the $25 referral credit? Can I get it anywhere?  London Drugs is the closest to me.

dtran3

Saw this and went for it! I got my brother onto it as well. During his activation today, I saw a stranger looking at the PM pamphlet and I let him know about some of the great deals that was available! He seemed quite interested, I hope he makes the switch over 🙂

Chenco

You might now wish to take advantage of the $25 referral credit introduced today until Aug 6. Can easily buy SIM and voucher from WOW mobile kiosk near you and have to do online activation. Walmart is YMMV with regards to selling SIM only.

Good luck.

Chenco

Coconutjay

Hi Liam,  

I'm in gta and would like to sign up for PM and receive the 20$ credit and referral, how can you help do this for me?  Thanks

Good1

If London Drugs cannot get into their system have them change their web browser.  It worked for me. 🙂

Chenco

New entrant to the PM community. Super help by Liam to sign up from Ontario. All credits appeared on account with 10 hrs. Extremely happy and highly recommend.

Take a bow Liam for your excellent service.

Enjoying LTE speeds on 3G plan. Couldn't be more happy.

Chenco

Need Help? Let's chat.