cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Closed* Swapping useless junk for a useful SIM card

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey everyone.  Some of you may have noticed an online campaign we recently launched on Facebook and YouTube called SIM Swap.  What the heck is a SIM Swap, you might ask? 

Well here’s how it works:

Through a series of social posts and YouTube videos, we are inviting people to trade their useless stuff (think old coffee cup or broken pen) for a useful Public Mobile SIM card.  We may even use it in future ads. The videos (check them out at the end of the post) show useless items twirling slowly on a pedestal before being swapped out for a Public Mobile SIM card. We think this a really fun way to show how different we are as a brand. 

The SIM Swap web page explains a couple of ways you can trade your useless stuff. For a social swap, a picture of a useless item can be shared via Twitter and Instagram by tagging us @publicmobile with the hashtag #SIMSwap in the caption. For Facebook, they can post a pic on our wall. Then we’ll send them a link to order their SIM card.  Along with their SIM card, we’ll send a nice surprise too.  

For those living in Toronto, there’s also an option to do an in-person trade.

SIM Swap is for new customers (you guys already have a SIM card) so if you know anyone who you think would like to join Public Mobile, let them know about SIM Swap.  You can share the URL or just send them one of our cheeky ads (see links below).  And you could get a referral reward too!

Gum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1SHuGeV5Qk
Glasses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0LKrkKbSY0

Pen cap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq2XcW_84SA

Toilet paper roll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXan9-CvwM4
Sunflower shell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k83rqXkbDM
Rock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa8U2wNR_p8
Laundry lint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huurk_QA3Lk

78 REPLIES 78

SpookyDuff
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Crwong77 wrote:
Hi. How long does it take to get the link for the simswap? I posted via Instagram yesterday but have not received anything. I want to make sure I get a sim in time to get the current promotion before the promo is longer available?

How long does it take to get a sim card once you order it?

Thanks ,
Curtis

I waited a few days and didn't receive a link to the SIMswap form, so I just PM'd a mod and linked to my post. They kindly replied with the SIMswap form. It took just over two weeks for me to receive the SIM, but others have reported longer delivery times.

Personally, I would order a SIM the "normal" way to ensure that I have it before the end of the promotional period. I believe it is now $5 but the shipping is free and the card will arrive in 1-2 days.

Crwong77
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Hi. How long does it take to get the link for the simswap? I posted via Instagram yesterday but have not received anything. I want to make sure I get a sim in time to get the current promotion before the promo is longer available?

How long does it take to get a sim card once you order it?

Thanks ,
Curtis

DougL

Did I miss out? I posted a junk photo to twitter last week with the tag and hashtag as mentioned in the  promotion.

neptune

Hi, how can I do the in-person swap? The kijiji and craigslist links on the SIM Swap site are not valid anymore.

Thanks

mjs
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Tha's really sweet. Jus joined Public Mobile and I have been on the community page exploring and reading posts...very impressive

I don't know if you're willing to submit a request for a SIM via the new method or not, but the delivery times are between 1-2 business days by CanadaPost courier service as of October 18.  It's $5 + taxes for your province, free shipping.

as you've mentioned your in Toronto, you will get it on Tuesday if you order before noon on Monday.

unfortunately, sometimes it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil.... you may not have made enough noise about your lack of SIM card via this sim swap method.

i hope you do get a SIM, as Public Mobile has great prices for 90 day plans.

Char21

I am still waiting. My first post was in mid September.   On October 5th Mary said the sim would arrive within 5 to 7 business days and now on Friday, Oct 21 it still isn't here and I'm still waiting.  This is so frustrating!  

The whole reasong why I started this sim swap thing in the first place was because I wanted to do the in-person swap that was advertised for the Toronto area so I could get a SIM immediately and instead I was given a link to the mail option, which clearly isn't being responded to.  

Pier
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

IMG_2470.JPGJust got my SIM card...... I'll finally get my friend switch to PM. I love my surprise.

Purin

@Shazia_K wrote:

Hello @Purin

I'm sorry to see you are having to wait for the SIM card. 

Our SIM cards ordered directly through our website takes about 5 business days to arrive.

The SIM swap promo takes a bit longer, 2-3 weeks. Your order should be shipped soon, please send me a private message with your email address if nothing next week. 

Thanks,

Shazia

@Shazia_K I'm confused regarding the part of your reply which I've bolded. I ordered my sim through the promo on Sep 19 - that's 3.5 weeks ago. Why would my order still not have been shipped?

It's Saturday now as I edit this post so I have no choice but to wait until Monday. I will PM you my email address then, so please kindly check on my order like you did for the other users earlier in the thread. Thanks.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @Purin

I'm sorry to see you are having to wait for the SIM card. 

Our SIM cards ordered directly through our website takes about 5 business days to arrive.

The SIM swap promo takes a bit longer, 2-3 weeks. Your order should be shipped soon, please send me a private message with your email address if nothing next week. 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I'll tag a mod for you @Purin
@Mary_M @Saray_O @Shazia_K could you help Purim out in the morning.

Purin

I am in the same boat of having waited well over 3 weeks and still nothing in the mail. Could a mod kindly look into this for me as well?

At this point I am afraid to order a SIM the normal way... what if it also never arrives, then I'll never be able to get a refund.

SpookyDuff

@bi5551 wrote:

@Char21 wrote:

I've now been waiting 3 weeks and still no sim in the mail, despite asking several times about this.  I passed the renewal period on my old plan and had to add $$ to my account to keep it going so now I'm committed to another month on that one.  This is so disappointing. 

This has also happened to me. It's been over 3 weeks since I put in the request and I missed the renewal period for my old plan and also the perfect opportunity to use this SIM (I had to roam outside WIND zone all this long weekend).

Why not order a SIM and pay the shipping as well? The shipping fee will be refunded once you activate the SIM and you still get the bonus from the SIMswap promotion once it actually arrives?

In my experience, the "purchased" SIM took less than a week to arrive while the SIM from the SIMswap took just over two weeks.

Saray_O
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @bi5551

I'm sorry to hear that. Could you send me a private message with the email you used when you filled out the form? I will look into it! 

Thank you 

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Rockdaddy22
I'm sorry to hear that @bi5551 I'll tag some mods to see if they can look into this for you.

Could someone please take a look this issue @Shazia_K @Mary_M @Saray_O Thank you

bi5551

@Char21 wrote:

I've now been waiting 3 weeks and still no sim in the mail, despite asking several times about this.  I passed the renewal period on my old plan and had to add $$ to my account to keep it going so now I'm committed to another month on that one.  This is so disappointing. 

This has also happened to me. It's been over 3 weeks since I put in the request and I missed the renewal period for my old plan and also the perfect opportunity to use this SIM (I had to roam outside WIND zone all this long weekend).

shrimpdude
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kav2001c wrote:

@ALic apples & oranges. This is in regards to the OLD policy (originated pre wireless code) that required 30 days notice. They are not talking about refunding current month, they are referring to the practise of billing the 30 days AFTER cancellation has been processed.

Public never did this (actually no Canadian prepay service ever did)

Currently every postpaid cancellation occours instantly 

So I filed a complaint through CCTS, and after some back and forth, it turns out that @kav2001c was correct. The proration policy does not apply to prepaid bills. However, I was contacted by a Koodo rep (who incidentally also works for Public Mobile - I guess both companies are one in the same behind the scenes) who refunded a proportional amount to my PM account as a gesture of goodwill, explaining to me that the terms of the agreement do not apply to prepaid accounts and that should I switch from Public Mobile in the future, they will not be able to refund me for any remaining time.

So, thanks to @ALic I DID get some money back through the whole process, but @kav2001c was technically correct in that I supposedly was not entitled to anything.

Thanks to you both.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @Char21

I'm sorry to hear about this, 

The SIM for the SIM swap promo is delivered after 2-3 weeks from filling up the form. Please send me a private message with your email address and I will look into this for you. 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Char21

mylabmax
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi Shazia, 

I will PM the email add.

Thanks

leeg84
I just sent a private message through facebook

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

can you send us the pic via Facebook ? @leeg84

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

leeg84
I did on instagram and has yet to get the link.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @leeg84

All you have to do is DM us a pic of something useless and we'll send you the link to complete the trade.

You can do this via Facebook, Twitter & IG.

Cheers,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Rockdaddy22
Can one of you @Mary_M @Shazia_K @Saray_O help out @leeg84
One of them will make contact with you in the morning.

leeg84

I sent out a ig post for the sim swap promotion but have yet to get a message on how to get the simcard? Anyone help??? 

I seems like Public Mobile does not want my business, first I tried ordering the sim card through my master card debit but it does not work and now I am trying to take advantage of this promotion and have yet to get a response on my instagram. 

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @lkp0928

When was the message posted? can you send me a private message with your Twitter username? 

Thanks, 

Shazia

Rockdaddy22
@Shazia_K or @Mary_M should be able to help you in the morning.

lkp0928
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Shazia,

I sent out a public tweet for SIMSwap promotion last week but I still haven't received any responses for that.  How long does it take normally? 

Thanks in advance.

Paul

samgabbay
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

AMAZING! love how the second i leave for the us, PM just does amazing stuff. great news!

Need Help? Let's chat.