cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada Post Work Stoppage- SIM Order Process has Changed

David_J
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Note: As of October 18, 2016 the below process is no longer in effect. To check out the new process, click here. 

Hey Community,

As you know, in order to be prepared for the possibility of a Canada Post work stoppage, we made some changes to the SIM card ordering process. The change to charge customers $10 (with a rebate upon activation) for a SIM card was initiated by the strike possibility, however we discovered something very interesting. When the SIM cards were available without charge, only 60% were being activated after they were received. When we changed the process and started to charge and rebate the $10 for the SIM card, the percentage being activated increased significantly. There’s something to be said about having a bit of skin in the game which is why we have decided that, for now, we will continue to charge $10 per SIM with a rebate upon activation.

As a reminder, here is a summary of how the new process works:

• Order the SIM card online (as per the usual process).

• There will be a charge for courier shipping. However, the shipping charges will be rebated to the method of payment you used to pay the shipping charges. Please note that we now offer PayPal as a payment option.

• To request your rebate, email rebate@publicmobile.ca with your SIM order number and your Public Mobile phone number. We’ll issue your rebate to the same method of payment for the shipping charges within 7 days of the email being received.

For any other questions, please contact us here [https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help] or message one of our Public Mobile Moderators here on the Community.

Thanks!

Public Mobile Community team

167 REPLIES 167

@Shazia_K wrong thread

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @Verna_M

I'm sorry to hear about this, 

I see that Babacar from the email support team was able to assist you last night, please refer to his email. 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Your thoughts are the same as mine.  The policy has changed, its in the first post of this thread, $10 shipping to get the SIM, refined on activation.

i still think it's cheaper for PM to use regular day to day first class mail, as it would cost them less than to accept $10 pay processing charges to Bank, return $10, and pay more service charges to bank.

but what do I know?

anyways, yes, $10 is a go.  There is a post in the public lab if you want to share your thoughts about returning to free sim by Canada post regular mail.

shrimpdude
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Is this going to be the policy moving forward? I'd love to order a few spare sim cards and bring a bunch of people to PM, but not if I have to front $10 each time.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Sorry, I'm near barrie 😞

Vtan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Leamington anything!!

Rockdaddy22
I guess you could check Kijiji, where are you located.

Vtan
Not a lot that you can do...no money to pay , just have wait until you have the money!!!

cazhnative666
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I just bought a phone off my buddy and I don't have a sim yet. I was trying to order one by mail but had a problem with shipping issues because I don't.have yet have money in my bank account due to being released. I do get money every Friday. Does shipment take cash? If not why not? I'm also getting a cheque soon. What can I do?

Rockdaddy22
Please read the updated first post.

NuXPeR
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey, turns out there was no strike... Any chance of you guys updating your order page and going back to the FREE shipping option? I need to order three more SIM cards and don't want to pay $30 for shipping as I don't see an option to order more than one.

Rockdaddy22
No need to cut PMs new sims, it's a Tri-Sim, 3 sizes in one.

Vtan
Old SIM it will work on the new phone don't need to replace

cphan0604
Isn't it easier to just get a new sim card if you're going from a micro to a nano? I know it can be cut....

Rockdaddy22
If you change phones you wouldn't need a new sim

cphan0604
If i am existing customer and need a replacement sim because i am changing phones, do i still get a refund on the shipping charge? Not being **bleep** about paying for it... Just want to know... Lol

Civic_E

It's funny how PM is taking advantage of the Canada strike. It's a new way of making sure that the person who orders the sim car MUST sign up for an account. Which makes perfect sense. Why else would you order a SIM anyway right? But what if I don't have a bank account or credit card and just use cash to purchase vouchers for my payment? You should give an option to pay that $10 by voucher codes as well and when the SIM card is activated it should automatically put $10 back on the account instead of us begging for the refund.

PM for your info...I have been receiving all my mails via Canada post. May be delayed but I am getting them.

sportymi

I got my sim card within 2 days. Could've been one since I didn't check my mailbox the day before. But it was very quick. 

I guess the activate to get your $10 back really make sense. Well done PM!

frankis

I ordered a SIM card on the Sept 7 and received confirmation of shipiment on the 8th and I'm still waiting for it. The email I received about the shipment says to come back to this page for shipment status, but all it says is that my shipment is confirmed.   Is this supposed to change? Also is is possible to actually track the shipment through the courier website?

clogan2

This kinda sucks 😞 of the 8 that I ordered for myself and referrals...only one didn't get activated, and that's because I lost it on my way home from the mailbox.

All well, it was good while it lasted I guess...

Rockdaddy22
That's great news, welcome to the PM family 🙂

jpayan

I ordered my SIM card on Sept 9th and I just received it today. Interestingly enough, I didn't notice the part about no PO boxes... and the SIM arrived via Canada Post and in my PO box. Couldn't be happier!

Vtan
Still change $10 for sim, again PM will reimburse $10 back to you when sim get activated,

TroyDaBes

Does PM still charge $10 for the shipping? Or was it removed already?

Peabody

A happy follow up to my last post.

Came home last night to find my PM SIM waiting in my apartment mailbox! The package had been delivered by Canada Post Priority mail service - not by a courier company.

Account set up and transfer of my old number was painless and quick.

Pleased with how things actually unfolded for me here in Vancouver. Delivery was quicker than expected and uncomplicated. Robot Very Happy

Peabody

I contacted PM customer service and was informed that SIM Cards are being sent via Purolator.

Unless the timing is exceptional, I suspect end up having to travel to a depot to pick up the card from Purolator. It's less than optimal. I would be fine with paying a refundable fee for SIM Cards delivered by Canada Post to my home mailbox...

The Public Mobile Customer Service responce was speedy and communicated clearly while answering my question.

Rockdaddy22

That's geat news, but I'm sorry it took so long. 

Zeegor
Got the SIM card today finally!

Rockdaddy22
I'm sorry to hear that, that is awfully slow. No sure the reasoning behind this, but I am sorry.

Zepalz

what stike? it never happend. they threated too, and then it was resolved. and the contract as far as i can tell was accepted. soo not exacly sure what where your getting your news or info.. ALSO i orded my card like 5 days ago.. and ONLY TODAY did i get a email saying "We've accepted your order, and we're getting it ready." seruzly?.

Need Help? Let's chat.