cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is there an etiquette about replying to old posts in this forum?

Duey
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

just wondering what the policy is here (relating to the question in my subject line).  I've done a search for an issue I'd like to discuss, and found an old post from 2017 about it.  Would it be fine to reply to it, or would it be better to create a new thread?

Thank you,

Duey

2 REPLIES 2

There's always new people in every forum. Who often impulsively reply only to the original post or to the most recent post... even if it's ancient... without bothering to read anything past (maybe) the first page of the topic... dredging elderly "necro" threads back into active forefront.

PM Community is also typically (and half-mistakenly) perceived as an official tech support forum. So many people come here specifically to request/demand their issue gets fixed. And they will basically click on the first thread they see which had a "solution", a PM Moderator, or an Oracle in it because they assume that'll get fastest response. 

Some forums get very snippy about such stuff. PM Community doesn't seem to get very upset until "bad netiquette" incidents begin to consistently drown relevant topics under an endless deluge of dead topics. I don't think I've even seen such problems persist long at this forum - there have been surges of deliberately offensive posts (from disgruntled customers and from random internet trolls) but evidently things were somewhere resolved behind the scenes. 

It's public internet so you'll find critics, pedants, and cynics ready to complain no matter what you do. So I'd advise not to worry too much about it. People will let you know if it bothers them. As politely as they're able. 

But it's refreshing to see that social consciousness still exists online. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Duey wrote:

Hello,

just wondering what the policy is here (relating to the question in my subject line).  I've done a search for an issue I'd like to discuss, and found an old post from 2017 about it.  Would it be fine to reply to it, or would it be better to create a new thread?

Thank you,

Duey

There are no set rules per se. If a thread has been marked as solved then unless someone has new information to share relevant to the topic then it's kinda pointless to add to it.

If it's to continue a discussion then why not...good of you to have searched for it.

Need Help? Let's chat.