cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What things to consider when changing mobile carriers?

shaker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Six things to consider when changing mobile carriers:

If you’re looking to change carriers, there are a few things you need to consider. Don’t take advertising messages too literally, since they can often be deceiving. Instead, check out the factors you should be paying attention to.

1. Price and plans 2. Coverage 3. Roaming 4. Customer Support 5. Reputation 6. Perks “Gotchas”

You don’t need to be a lawyer (or hire one), but always take a look at the fine print and ask questions. Similar to asking what you will ultimately pay every month, “service fees” included, you need to know what you’re actually getting when the advertisement says “free” or “discounted.”

https://techdaily.ca/features/switch-mobile-carriers

15 REPLIES 15

Tonibro13
Good Neighbour / Bon Voisin

We have been with PM for 3 months now and we have been very happy coverage so far has been the same just a lot less monthly!!

At my discretion, this thread has been moved to The Lounge.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@shaker, how are you able to post a question to the community, and then find a solution to your own question? Hoping this was by accident?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Naepalm wrote:

@Anonymous  this has literally happend 6x in the last few days by new comers. Do you need to tell me, No, but I was trying to give a bit of empathy for the OP.

I dont know man just trying to offer a suggested solution to an issue that I have seen in my short days here. 

Yup. There've been a lot of new comers. So I felt like saying something this time. I'm well aware that this OP is new here. So I gave him a little nudge.

@Anonymous  this has literally happend 6x in the last few days by new comers. Do you need to tell me, No, but I was trying to give a bit of empathy for the OP.

I dont know man just trying to offer a suggested solution to an issue that I have seen in my short days here. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Naepalm wrote:

@Anonymous @popping 

here is one.of the issues with community, there are no actual rules set out about these nuances. I literally was going to private message him then saw these comments lol. No one knows the rule until they are told hey btw you cant do that. 🤫🤔 🤪

It has to do with gaming the system for monetary gain. It's believed that solutions are part of the equation for rewards. So it's improper to start a thread and then post something else in the thread and then call that post the solution to the thread.

I have seen it on very rare occasions here where someone has a problem and everybody jumps in trying to help and a day or two later they come back with a fix that no one mentioned.

Do you need a rule to tell you that something is not right? I'm no saint. But that one I know.

@Anonymous @popping 

here is one.of the issues with the community, there are no actual rules set out about these nuances. I literally was going to private message him then saw these comments lol. No one knows the rule until they are told hey btw you cant do that. 🤫🤔 🤪

edit: Also @shaker has been here for 1 day, so theres that to take into consideration as well. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@shaker 

Starting a thread and then selecting your own answer as the solution is frowned upon around here. Especially when it's really just a discussion/conversation.

Exactly. Instead of update OP and create a new post to generate a solution and increase post count.

An Oracle will amble by soon enough I'm sure.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@shaker 

Starting a thread and then selecting your own answer as the solution is frowned upon around here. Especially when it's really just a discussion/conversation.

Exactly. Instead of update OP and create a new post to generate a solution and increase post count.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shaker 

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Naepalm you changed your avatar almost, didn't recognize you. lol.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I always activate a temporary number first and kick the tire for a few day before porting my number to the new carrier.  This saves me port number in and out within a short time if I do not like the new service.

shaker
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Anyone can switch their Canadian phone number to another phone provider at any time. You can even move your landline to a mobile phone. Before you change carriers, our guide helps you plan the switch, make sure you don't get any surprise cancellation fees, and find the best cell phone plan for you

Before You Switch, Step 1: Find a New Plan Step 2: Unlock Your Phone Step 3: Check for Cancellation Fees Switching Cell Providers: What You'll Need When Switching Cell Providers

SIM card from the new cell provider

Old Phone or New?

Know What Plan You Want

After You Switch: Install Carrier Support Apps Check That Last Bill Check That First Bill

https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Guides/switch-cell-providers-and-keep-your-number

You've done it! You found a better plan and kept your phone number. You may have to wait as much as 2-3 hours, but your new phone plan (and maybe a new phone) are ready to go. With the same phone number there's no need to tell family and friends to update their contacts.

You're free and back in control of your cell phone plan!

Edit by mimmo removed selfsolution

edited by computergeek541: re-applied removal of self solution 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@shaker thanks for this very informative and wise advice .

cheers

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I agree, i'm a member of Pm for one month now, just signed my sister, up she was paying almost 4 times more with another provider, she says, i don't notice a change, off course, just paying much, less, thanks to the technology today, we can do our research and make a wise decision, before, joining a provider. Welcome to PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.