cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Guarentee?

lil-twerp
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

What guarentee do I have that the plan I am using this month wont change  the next month?

9 REPLIES 9

@stonechucker wrote:

In-market plans are available at the time of sign-up and locked in until you change them yourself.  30-day or 90-day plans from 2015 are still held by subscribers who haven't yet changed to a new in-market plan, as they haven't felt the need.

Sometimes in-market plans drop in price, and if you don't change to it yourself, you're still paying the old price.

Isn't it great how the terms of service is so one sided?  If the price is increased and they show it on the site, they can hit you with the increase.  If the price is decreased and they show it on the site, you cannot participate in the savings unless you take action. 

I firmly believe that with the term being so one sided, great powers come with greater responsibility.  If they flex their muscles too much, there will be consequences.  This is what happened when they attempted to increase prices by $30 per renewal on the 2016 fall promo customer base.  They were within their right to do it, but choose not to and for all the right reasons.  Looking back, the brand benefited from doing the right thing. 

In-market plans are available at the time of sign-up and locked in until you change them yourself.  30-day or 90-day plans from 2015 are still held by subscribers who haven't yet changed to a new in-market plan, as they haven't felt the need.

Sometimes in-market plans drop in price, and if you don't change to it yourself, you're still paying the old price.

@stonechucker wrote:

@Anonymous, I still see this text (which I reference in our previous discussion) as 30-day notice.  Back in Feb 2018, I either got an SMS or saw the announcement in the forums, that said my Fall 2016 Promo was going to increase $30/90-day.  When that happened, my next renewal was prior to the 30-day date as advised by PM, so I still paid the $120 instead of $150.  After the outrage, and the reversal of the price increase, I continued on paying $120.

I had a choice as I wasn't affected at that time immediately, so I had time to decide if I would continue on that plan at the higher price or find a different plan.

So yes I agree it can change at any time, but the effective date of change is at least 30 days away, from the posting of the information.

Fall promo is different it isn't available in the plan page so they would have to notify everyone that has that plan. 

In market plans can have something changed on the plan page without notify plan holders

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Anonymous, I still see this text (which I reference in our previous discussion) as 30-day notice.  Back in Feb 2018, I either got an SMS or saw the announcement in the forums, that said my Fall 2016 Promo was going to increase $30/90-day.  When that happened, my next renewal was prior to the 30-day date as advised by PM, so I still paid the $120 instead of $150.  After the outrage, and the reversal of the price increase, I continued on paying $120.

I had a choice as I wasn't affected at that time immediately, so I had time to decide if I would continue on that plan at the higher price or find a different plan.

So yes I agree it can change at any time, but the effective date of change is at least 30 days away, from the posting of the information.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@lil-twerp wrote:

What guarentee do I have that the plan I am using this month wont change  the next month?

There is no guarantee that prices won't change.  The same can be said of any carrier.  They could give you 30 days notice of the price theoretically doubling, and it would be up to you to decide whether or not to remain a customer.

@computergeek541, I think they have changed the ToS lately.  Here is what I found

Can the terms of service change?
Yes, Public Mobile has the right to change any of the terms of service, including rates, without notice. Changes become effective thirty days after being posted at publicmobile.ca/ plans. By purchasing service after a change is posted, including by continuing to top up your account, you accept the current terms of service. You can cancel service at any time, without penalty or cancellation fees.

So basically they just have to post a price change on the plans page and after 30 days they go into effect.  So you may not even know of the change and renew at a higher price.  Unlikely because we have a very active community that would make it public.

Thank you ShawnC13. That's what I was trying to get across to stonechucker in another thread. Somehow we agreed to disagree. Or we just walked back into our corners 🙂

In war movies and documentaries, soldiers often say that everyone is afraid and that anyone who claims that he or she isn't, is lying.  I don't believe anyone, or at least almost no one, has ever believed that carriers are going to indefinitely and forever honor old prices, and I would say that most who say that they do are probably lying.  

There are a few die-hards who truly believe in "for life" claims and some might even believe that things will forever stay the same.  I don't disagree that a company should be held to such an advertised claim, but I'm going to say that relistically, that isn't going to happen.  Public Mobile, and I would say all carriers, are likely to raise existing customer rates at some point in time, or at least try to.

Could you imagine a cell phone plan that gets passed on/passed down over generations?  Does anyone think that Public Mobile/Telus is going to allow customers to pay $20 or $40 for 30 days of service when the inflation will probably make those amounts of money worthless in, let's say 100 years? 

Then you need to add a dose of reality to all this.  Fact is cell plans become obsolete and people change plans.  From time to time, we switch carriers.  We facilitate the price change with all this movement.  By all accounts, cell pricing has been getting better with time.  We might be paying more for the plan but we get a lot more value out of it.  The biggest improvement is in the area of the size of the data bucket which is creeping up and up.  It wasn't that long ago that 500 MB plans were being offered.  Today, we would not want that plan at any price.  Long story short, this clause in the ToS is just another boiler plate statement that has teeth but not much bite.  When there is attempt to bite, we have all seen what can happen.

@Anonymous wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@lil-twerp wrote:

There is no guarantee that prices won't change.  The same can be said of any carrier.  They could give you 30 days notice of the price theoretically doubling, and it would be up to you to decide whether or not to remain a customer.

@computergeek541, I think they have changed the ToS lately.  Here is what I found

Yes, Public Mobile has the right to change any of the terms of service, including rates, without notice. Changes become effective thirty days after being posted at publicmobile.ca/ plans. By purchasing service after a change is posted, including by continuing to top up your account, you accept the current terms of service. You can cancel service at any time, without penalty or cancellation fees.

So basically they just have to post a price change on the plans page and after 30 days they go into effect.  So you may not even know of the change and renew at a higher price.  Unlikely because we have a very active community that would make it public.

Thank you ShawnC13. That's what I was trying to get across to stonechucker in another thread. Somehow we agreed to disagree. Or we just walked back into our corners 🙂

In war movies and documentaries, soldiers often say that everyone is afraid and that anyone who claims that he or she isn't, is lying.  I don't believe anyone, or at least almost no one, has ever believed that carriers are going to indefinitely and forever honor old prices, and I would say that most who say that they do are probably lying.  

There are a few die-hards who truly believe in "for life" claims and some might even believe that things will forever stay the same.  I don't disagree that a company should be held to such an advertised claim, but I'm going to say that relistically, that isn't going to happen.  Public Mobile, and I would say all carriers, are likely to raise existing customer rates at some point in time, or at least try to.

Could you imagine a cell phone plan that gets passed on/passed down over generations?  Does anyone think that Public Mobile/Telus is going to allow customers to pay $20 or $40 for 30 days of service when the inflation will probably make those amounts of money worthless in, let's say 100 years? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@lil-twerp wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@lil-twerp wrote:

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@lil-twerp wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.