cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My chatr number got transferred to public mobile without my knowledge. What do i do?

bohdankravchuk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I know because I called my # and some guy answered. He purchased a service from public mobile this morning and somehow got my chatr number. How is is even possible?

And what to do to get it back?

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure this needed to be dumped down to the lounge however...

I wouldn't jump to it being an error with Chatr. When I first signed up I selected a number that was offered on the list. All done. I immediately started getting calls and texts looking for a particular person. I simply said he wasn't here and carried on. The calls and texts died down after a while. I kept the number.

Of course I wouldn't know what happened with the other guy. I suppose it's possible he was getting copies of my texts. I don't know if he was listening in on calls. I'm a very light user so that would get pretty boring pretty fast.

Edit: now I'm sorry I said anything 🙂

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bohdankravchuk wrote:

I know because I called my # and some guy answered. He purchased a service from public mobile this morning and somehow got my chatr number. How is is even possible?

You need to call Chatr.  If Chatr did not release your number to PM, this will not happen.  It is Chatr's fault and they should fix it for you and get your number back to Chatr.

@bohdankravchuk 

You should still have partial service if it's a mistake by telus ( your number must originally be a telus number) so opening a ticket to contact the moderator  could help expedite the process of returning your phone number to full service with chattr if you already have two customer support agents that can contact each other.

If you have no service on your phone you could have been the victim of a fraudulent port and must double check your financial accounts, email, credit cards etc....ASAP! Then deal with getting your phone number/service back.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@bohdankravchuk from what I've heard, Telus has done this in the past releasing phone numbers that are currently in use.

but to have peace of mind

• keep an eye on all your bank cards
  • change all your passwords

if you think you've been hijacked then take your device's off the internet immediately. backup all your sensitive data then do a fresh install of windows/factory reset your device's. for now use a device you know for sure doesn't have malware if you need to use the internet.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@bohdankravchuk wrote:

@bohdankravchuk  Talk to CHATR and ask them if your number was ported out. If yes, then you have been SIM-jacked (serious security issue goggle it)

Good Luck,

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@bohdankravchuk contact chatr and get them to contact Public Mobile to see if they can recover it for you. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.