cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keypads ATM Machines & Gas Pumps

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire
Today and even before. Why would you want to touch a Keypad or Gas Pump Handle? 

12 REPLIES 12

ichor
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

no tinfoil hat here.  I ran out of foil and don't want to go to the shops.   

I am looking forward to being able to use cash again.   I can't seem to budget well with virtual money.  

@yanzhiqiang

Even if that's true it will still take time to produce and deploy all those new touchless systems. How many millions of ATMs and merchant keypads? And who will manufacture, distribute, and install them quickly with only a skeleton workforce? Or will they be imports made in China?

So I seriously doubt they'd arrive before Corona runs its course.

Although Corona isn't the first and it won't be the last contagion in these decades, so maybe touchless interfaces will help reduce the spread of the next evil virus.

And there are still cynical tinfoil hat weirdos (like me) who are half-paranoid about touchless tapping wireless NFC stuff. As long as we have to physically authorize things with a manually-input PIN or passcode there's no built-in risk of having finances being carried away on the radio waves. A point of controversy, but in normal circumstances thieves are a greater threat than diseases.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

corona virus will change a lot of things we normally believe are OK,touchless ATM and touchless elevator ...you name it

ichor

The Co-op gas stations usually do have we-service options.  Any gas station with links to the local community usually has at least one we-serve pump as having extra employees makes them look like they care.

Might be a growing trend in Canada to have we-serve pumps again. 

I see the roomer about the pumps spreading the virus is growing strong as the day progresses.  Which is funny because I understand much of Canada has this crazy thing called winter where it gets cold and people wear gloves outside (totally weird concept to us on the Left coast - I lost my gloves 6 years ago and never bothered to replace them).  Combine that with the occasional spillback on the handles, I imagine pumps aren't a huge source of spreading.

interact keypads on the other hand...

Not many stations with service in BC any more. One city did not allow self serve...Coquitlam and is too far for a gas up. But a great idea. 

ichor

These days, i go to we-serve and use tap.  costs the same as pumping myself.  no need for me to touch anything.

Not that I do as much driving these days.  Kind of enjoying staying home.  

@Korth  I see.... @LurganIeUk is practising self sanitization now. Perhaps a good practise along with social distancing nowadays.

Doorknobs. Lightswitches. Tables, chairs, surfaces. Water taps. Garbage cans.

We touch all sorts of filthy public things without a thought. The owners of those things do tend to keep them reasonably clean. Mostly. But, seriously, what do you expect from a gas station?

And money, of course. Everybody touches money. Money moves with people through all sorts of unclean lifestyles. Every time you touch a $20 bill you're touching every other hand it's passed through, every smelly pocket, every dirty wallet or purse, every unwashed hiding place.

If these things concern you then carry around a $1 bottle of hand sanitizer.

Don't be surprised or indignant because nobody else will be interested in paying for your personal hygiene and cleaning supplies.

@LurganIeUk    Well I wouldn't know as I've never touched a gas pump ever....as I don't drive. But if you are concerned you should be contacting the gasoline companies not posting in the lounge. I only offered a suggestion.....what else were you expecting a link to a petition website?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@LurganIeUk  Just wear gloves or sanitize them yourself before use.

Need Help? Let's chat.