cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imessage on Android, but there's a catch....

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I actually discovered this a couple months ago. I thought I would share it here. I've been using "Imessage" on my android for a while now and I simply love it. SMS is absolute garbage and I can finnaly participate in imessage group chats, send high quality photos, and all that fun jazz.

So here's how it works. First of all you need a mac (there are workarounds), and you need to install an application called "Blue Bubbles". There is an android side and server side for this app. Once you get it setup you can use your android client to send messages to the mac server wich then goes out through imessage. Messages are sent over ngork so battery usage is minimal and notifications are through FCM. All messages are also encrypted from client to server. 

The apps design resembles IOS's theme PERFECTLY without overdoing it. There is a material theme option too if your not into the IOS theme. It supports typing indicators, read receipts, reactions, gifs, HIGH resolution videos and photos, and much more. 

Now if your like me and don't have a Mac don't worry. If you have a spare computer hanging around you can setup a mac VM with the server running on it. I do this and it works fine.

If you decide to go the mac route and are actually considering buying one I would buy a used mac mini with the LATEST year of 2010. 

Oh and you can find there website here. I didn't explain much about setup or anything, you can check it out on their website. 

https://bluebubbles.app/

Also forgot to add that its open source.

5 REPLIES 5

@BearFBI wrote:

@will13am 

"Interestingly, I know of no-one on IMessages that will not communicate with me on a third party platform."

LUCKY. EVERYONE I know with an apple phone has NO third party messaging app other than social media. It's really annoying. The Apple users where I live are clueless. 

Choose your friends wisely, lol.  Or learn to be a hermit.  

BearFBI

@will13am 

"Interestingly, I know of no-one on IMessages that will not communicate with me on a third party platform."

LUCKY. EVERYONE I know with an apple phone has NO third party messaging app other than social media. It's really annoying. The Apple users where I live are clueless. 

@BearFBI wrote:

@will13am More than half the people I know use iphones and they all text via imessage. I only have ONE android friend I text through RCS. 

My BIGGEST issue with SMS is sending images. They get compressed to garbage.

So I mean. For me imessage is kinda a must. 

I totally agree that SMS/MMS garbage.  RCS is a bit of dumpster fire itself.  Interestingly, I know of no-one on IMessages that will not communicate with me on a third party platform.  

BearFBI

@will13am More than half the people I know use iphones and they all text via imessage. I only have ONE android friend I text through RCS. 

My BIGGEST issue with SMS is sending images. They get compressed to garbage.

So I mean. For me imessage is kinda a must. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I was sent to the bummer tent for dissing SMS because other forms of chat uses data.  Honestly all the data based chat platforms are very feature rich and capable.  It comes down to platform popularity and which ones your contacts like to use.  My personal preference is to avoid anything reliant on the carrier or phone OEMs.  Strictly third party please.  

Need Help? Let's chat.