cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gahh... It's finnaly happening, Windows 11......

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

We've all been waiting for the codename "Sun Valley" update to come to Windows. It's supposed to bring a brand new UI, better visuals, performance enhancements, and more. Well, the update may not make its way to windows 10 but instead a whole new operating system named Windows 11. 

After all these years, We may finally be getting Windows 11, the operating system that was confirmed to never exist...

There have been many leaks and hints from Microsoft lately about it on Twitter. Even a few internal leaks and screenshots of the build... 

The Verge explains all the hints in this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/6/3/22466394/microsoft-windows-11-la...

The event is supposed to take place at the end of this month.. We'll see what It brings. 

So, What are your guy's thoughts on "The next generation of Windows" ?

31 REPLIES 31

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@stevenanto wrote:

@CFPartDeux yes I remember windows ME, you described it perfectly. They were both very very sluggish. I really liked windows xp and I once got a version called beast edition from a buddy. It had all the basic stuff and removed all the stuff that you didnt need and it used to fly. 

Yeah, I had a new 'puter at the time, and installed ME(which my nephew refers to as "Martian Edition") on it, and had no end to crashing, but once I installed XP, all was fine.

As for a "beast" edition of Windows, Tech Yes City had a video recently, detailing how to cut out tons of unnecessary garbage from Windows 10, and was talkin' about how it actually gained him some FPS in gaming.

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@CFPartDeux If only they can do things as simple and fast as the beast edition. Nothing beat it. I know they are a tech company and they need to generate more $ and change things up a little every few years but I also like to think, if it ain't broke why touch it. 

BearFBI

Seems as if its only a Reskin using their scrapped Windows10X operating system, still runs the same system code, Its basically the same wine but with a new bottle. 

Leaked builds are surfacing all over the internet and there are many images online. It does look pretty clean, new system sounds, they brought back some older sounds from Win7, new start menu, new windows logo, and new startup animation. Might spin the build up in a VM later on today.

CFPartDeux

@BearFBI wrote:

Might spin the build up in a VM later on today.

If you do, let us know what you find out.....

Ran the pc health check app on all my Windows 10 pc.  None can be upgraded to 11.  I have 4.5 years to put aside money or collect enough dream air miles to use my air miles Onyx personal shopper to get a new laptop on open market.

CFPartDeux

@popping wrote:

Ran the pc health check app on all my Windows 10 pc.  None can be upgraded to 11.  I have 4.5 years to put aside money or collect enough dream air miles to use my air miles Onyx personal shopper to get a new laptop on open market.

And did you read WHY none of them can be upgraded? Apparently, M$ is insisting that machines running Win11 HAVE TO have TPM 2.0, which means a lot of machines that are only a few years old won't even qualify. 🙄

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@popping wrote:

And did you read WHY none of them can be upgraded? Apparently, M$ is insisting that machines running Win11 HAVE TO have TPM 2.0, which means a lot of machines that are only a few years old won't even qualify. 🙄

It said that I do not have secure boot which is related to TPM 2.0.  Older BIOS does not have this function.  On top of it, the CPU in my laptop is too old and is not in the Windows11 CPU supported list.

https://allthings.how/windows-11-processors-list-intel-amd-qualcomm/

Yup. My old 2009 upper level HP laptop is no longer compatible. It got 10. Not 11. Oh well. It's what I'm typing on right now.

BearFBI

"And did you read WHY none of them can be upgraded? Apparently, M$ is insisting that machines running Win11 HAVE TO have TPM 2.0, which means a lot of machines that are only a few years old won't even qualify. 🙄"

A lot of machines sold in the past 5 years have TPM 2.0, it just might not be enabled in Bios. My Surface Pro 4 has it. 

I'd be more worried about the processor requirements. Intel 8th gen and up, wtf Microsoft. It can probably still run on older generation processors but I'm not sure how well it'll perform. 

@BearFBI wrote:

"And did you read WHY none of them can be upgraded? Apparently, M$ is insisting that machines running Win11 HAVE TO have TPM 2.0, which means a lot of machines that are only a few years old won't even qualify. 🙄"

A lot of machines sold in the past 5 years have TPM 2.0, it just might not be enabled in Bios. My Surface Pro 4 has it. 

I'd be more worried about the processor requirements. Intel 8th gen and up, wtf Microsoft. It can probably still run on older generation processors but I'm not sure how well it'll perform. 

Agree.
Microsoft wants to fix the security issue on Windows OS.  Therefore, TPM 2.0 is important.

Windows 11 requires a 64-bit CPU and processor from no earlier than 2019.  That is lot of computers.

I will run my Windows 10 machine until Microsoft stops supporting it at the end of 2025.