cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chaos at Dotmobile.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Screenshot_20210301-164936_Twitter.jpg

🤣 They increased their user base by 21k not even in two days. 

I think they extended it to tommorow because of the website issues for signing up as a founding member. 

Get your subscriptions everyone ! Free phone service for life. 

I've been sitting on their webpage for a good hour trying to signup all my friends and family's google account. I've only successfully got 2 signed up. 

THE SITE IS SO SLOW.

7 REPLIES 7

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

@BearFBI , you had months to sign up as many accounts as you have email addresses.  Why the sudden FOMO?  I signed up an account ages ago just for fun.  I don't expect much from these freebee accounts.  New companies need money to operate and survive.  

I Signed up Myself and a handful of family members but I didn't signup everyone I knew. When they sent the email that this was the last day for founding member signup I remembered I forgot to add a few friends.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@BearFBI , you had months to sign up as many accounts as you have email addresses.  Why the sudden FOMO?  I signed up an account ages ago just for fun.  I don't expect much from these freebee accounts.  New companies need money to operate and survive.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

And this Wikipedia article about Freedom and it's history. Mentions of Public Mobile, Telus and Mobile Klinik rang bells.

Edit: oh...why I went there...I was looking up who's doing this dotmobile thing and found that he was at Wind Mobile trying to do something similar and wha'd'y'know...it got bought up.

The regulator (CRTC) has exceptionally rigid, arbitrary, arcane, and convoluted rules which define who can and who can't own or operate exactly what in the vaguest terms possible. And that certain percentages of various levels of their organizations must be owned and operated by Canadian citizens, etc.

The last time these rules pushed for more "independent" brands they created Public Mobile and Chatr and Wind. Which were all permanently absorbed into the Big Three just a few years later when the CRTC "re-evaluated the market" and changed the rules again.

Those over-regulated rules and conditions were revised over and over again to restrict foreign competitors from entering the Canadian market. But now they sustain the Big Three oligopoly. We managed to keep AT&T and Verizon out of our "network built by Canadians for Canadians" ... but just compare Canadian vs American cellphone plans/prices to see what it cost Canadian consumers.

Stick with Public Mobile and in a few years you'll be collecting some decent Loyalty Rewards. Or rush over to Dotmobile and in a few years you might find yourself folded into an acquisition by Rogers or Shaw.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I'm skeptical whether it'll get off the ground. And then if it does well everybody has a price and the big 3 have the cash. It's even a business plan. Start up something that competes with larger players. The larger players come calling with ever larger truck loads of cash. Is this enough? Is this enough? Cash out and spend the rest of your days sipping Mai Tai's in Tahiti. The business disappears. Next! Rinse and repeat.

It's all happened before. The regulator says more competition. The consumers say more competition. Some competitors answer the call. The big 3 merely swallow them up...a la this place.

Edit: This article provides a clue to the sudden in-rush. But it expired yesterday (or today depending on how you interpret it).

Dotmobile site keeps referencing CNOC ("Competitive Network Operators of Canada") as its official reference and news source - a not-for-profit group (of some 30+ network operators) which lobbies the CRTC to change the rules governing the Canadian telecommunications market.

This is a legal chore CRTC must continually attend in court. And it is opposed by the CWTA ("Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association") - the wireless "authority" in Canada, the Big Voice for the Big Three, it's the lobby which steers CRTC rules, it's motivated to perpetuate the existing anti-consumer anti-competitive status quo.

I'm hoping the CRTC opens up the market (or that the CNOC can convince the courts to force them to do it). Who doesn't like it when an underdog steps up to challenge the evil land barons? But I don't think this is a battle they can really win. I do think dotmobile is basically going to be a one-of-a-kind pilot kept close to the ground until the Big Three can get it all bottled up and shut down. I hope I'm proven wrong on this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope you asked everybodys permission.

We're all still waiting to see if they actually come up with something. Maybe this is manufactured demand creation.

Need Help? Let's chat.