cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus flip flopping

Caniss
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

IF Telus removes 5G from PM, will current 5G plans still be granfathered on 5G.?

Telus is reconsidering its decision of having 5G on PM.

Wireless competition was a hot topic during the event. Understandably, it was difficult for management to predict the timing of a potential improvement on this front. However, the company stated that it is reconsidering the current offer of 5G on Public Mobile. Adding high-end network performance to the lower-end brand (Public) was initially designed to steer consumers away from Koodo and toward Public, which presented better economics at the time. While we believe 5G generates relatively modest pricing power overall, we think removing 5G from Public would help differentiate the higher-end brands and better monetize past network investments.

4 REPLIES 4

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Whats the source of this info?

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Caniss , 5G is a marketing term for speed cap.  As a customer since 2016, I could not care less if they revised the top tier speed cap down to 100 mbits/s.  Beyond about 50 mbits/s, additional speed is imperceptible and does not add much to the user experience.  I am willing bet and give odds that many customers on the 5G speed plans do not have home internet that is as fast as 250 mbits/s.  Mobile data services one device (except when hotspotting) while home internet service 10s of devices (about 25 on my LAN).  My internet plan changes from 500 mbit/s to 1500 mbits/s depending on what is on sale.  Having said that, Public Mobile has generally grandfathered plans and pricing with one exception ($10 limited use plan). 

With 4K video using about 25Mbps in some cases, I could see an internet user wanting speeds around 100Mbps, but that's only because a home would sometimes have more than one person living there using the intenet at the same time.  As for your hypothetical 50Mbps maximum speed, that going to be more than fast enough even for high resolution video.

How fast is your home internet?  Do you fret about the speed?  🤣

@will13am wrote:

@Caniss , 5G is a marketing term for speed cap.  As a customer since 2016, I could not care less if they revised the top tier speed cap down to 100 mbits/s.  Beyond about 50 mbits/s, additional speed is imperceptible and does not add much to the user experience.  I am willing bet and give odds that many customers on the 5G speed plans do not have home internet that is as fast as 250 mbits/s.  Mobile data services one device (except when hotspotting) while home internet service 10s of devices (about 25 on my LAN).  My internet plan changes from 500 mbit/s to 1500 mbits/s depending on what is on sale.  Having said that, Public Mobile has generally grandfathered plans and pricing with one exception ($10 limited use plan). 

With 4K video using about 25Mbps in some cases, I could see an internet user wanting speeds around 100Mbps, but that's only because a home would sometimes have more than one person living there using the intenet at the same time.  As for your hypothetical 50Mbps maximum speed, that going to be more than fast enough even for high resolution video.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Need Help? Let's chat.