cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a number

Greenphase
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a number which I want to port from lucky mobile. The status on my account shows suspended, but I have no problem with the service. I can make and receive calls. Will I have a problem porting the number to public mobile.

6 REPLIES 6

savvy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Greenphase wrote:

I was able to port my number to PM. The first thing I did was to text my son who is also on PM. Strangely enough, it shows Waiting on connection. I did a quick test to ensure I can send and receive texts. Texting is working. I checked my usage history and it was showing a UK number with a timestamp 4:02. I don't know where this number came from.

Maybe you are seeing an internal number before the number ports overtop? My phone displayed a different number for over 24 hours before my actual number showed in my settings, even after restarting it. The entire time I texted though it did show on their end the right number, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on there. Have you gotten ahold of a mod yet? Now that it's been ported, it's in Public's hands now.

Greenphase

I was able to port my number to PM. The first thing I did was to text my son who is also on PM. Strangely enough, it shows Waiting on connection. I did a quick test to ensure I can send and receive texts. Texting is working. I checked my usage history and it was showing a UK number with a timestamp 4:02. I don't know where this number came from.

savvy

@Greenphase wrote:

My next payment date is 30 September. Their system has some glitch as I changed from 25$ plan to 10$ plan and it thinks that I have not paid my full due. I will check with them. Thanks for your replies.

Strange, you'd think it would be the opposite. Do you think maybe it's been front-loaded? What does your account actually show right now? Was your change future-dated at any point? This change happened on lucky side right? I'd say that's probably not an issue. A strange thing happened with a different prepaid service recently to someone I knew on Virgin (still a Bell brand), and the changed plan worked but the "title" display of the plan failed. The tech told them it was only a system glitch in that instance, and there was no impact in any way to them since only the "account display" was affected and showed weird, but they indeed had been put on the correct plan. Similar but differenet -  I'd assume that in this case it would be clear to port.

Greenphase

My next payment date is 30 September. Their system has some glitch as I changed from 25$ plan to 10$ plan and it thinks that I have not paid my full due. I will check with them. Thanks for your replies.

savvy

@Greenphase wrote:

I have a number which I want to port from lucky mobile. The status on my account shows suspended, but I have no problem with the service. I can make and receive calls. Will I have a problem porting the number to public mobile.

As long as the phone number hasn't been "lost" you should have no problem porting. (IE: You let your prepaid expire recently and you now want to move the number over) Some poviders do require you to keep it completely active, especially if it's a Postpaid account, but I'd say at worst since lucky is prepaid owned by Bell, you might have to top up once to a $10 plan then port, and at best just try it and see. The number isn't gone unless it's been like 90 days actually suspended. If your number is not actually "supposed" to be suspended, then you are golden, since

A service provider can only refuse to transfer a telephone number if the phone number has previously been terminated or suspended by the service provider. In some cases, number portability may not be available in your area. Your prospective new service provider will be able to tell you if they can provide service for your current phone number.

From: https://www.cwta.ca/for-consumers/wireless-number-portability/

...Lastly if it's only showing "Suspended" on Public Mobile's site, that could just be a glitch since weirder things have happned. For me I ported and it said it was "declined" and then actually hours later went through on it's own!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

to port your lucky account needs to be active.  not sure why it says suspended.   it woudl probably be better asking a lucky mobile rep...

Need Help? Let's chat.