what is the best taste ground coffee?

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

what is the best taste ground coffee?

37 REPLIES 37

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@yanzhiqiang 

I am a big coffee fan and drink black bold level coffee.

My favourite are the Starbuck’s Komodo Dragon and the Kick Horse’s 454 Horse Power & Grizzly Claw.

cbx4evr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@elhota wrote:

I noticed the medium roast in the extra find grind is not filled to the brim in the can whereas the regular grind in the white can is filled all the way to the top.  Is this because the extra find grind is more dense and therefore takes up less space in the can?

Little late but compare the extra fine grind to grains of sand and the regular to aquarium gravel.  The sand packs tighter, less air space between particles. Same for coffee.

yanzhiqiang

But all have same weight.

elhota
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I noticed the medium roast in the extra find grind is not filled to the brim in the can whereas the regular grind in the white can is filled all the way to the top.  Is this because the extra find grind is more dense and therefore takes up less space in the can?

cbx4evr

My previous comment had a recommendation for President's Choice (Superstore) coffee. Should have stipulated that was for the fine grind, medium roast in the bright gold can. The dark roast is okay too. We tried the "Great Canadian" blend and didn't really care for it. Think they are trying to copy Tim's and we don't care for it either. The decaf PC brand is also good.

Lately we tried the Costco Kirkland coffee and found it to be pretty decent. Nice thing about it is you don;t have to wait for it to go on sale. Currently priced at $0.95/100 grams which is equivalent to a can of PC coffee at $8.84.

Bullet77

I have two favorites original Nabob as my first choice and Macdonalds ground coffee as a very close second.

skrdan

LAVAZZA,GOLD CREME

Gwenel

love the dark roast Nabob

elhota

Anyone tried the Great Value Classic Roast and Dark Roast?  The price is reasonable.  

vexter

The kind you grind yourself. One good part about grinding your own coffee is that you can grind it to suit whatever coffee maker you are using today. If you usually use a filter cone and drip it into your mug, you use a fine grind.  But if you are having company and want to use your French press then you can grind the beans more coarsely to suit it.  My husband swears by Columbian beans. 

marimacas
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Personaly, I like Lavazza coffee both beans and ground.

Rlarocque11
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Mother Parkers original. Thats what the old school Tims used to be. Brewed at home is so much better for whatever reason. 

yanzhiqiang

Re: what is the best taste ground coffee?

McCafe! 

Today Superstore on sale for $7 a can

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

McCafe! 

DOA

I alternate between PC West Coast Dark and Nabob.  Whichever is on sale.

Try adding a pinch of salt to the grounds before brewing to neutralize bitterness.

The  Folgers dark roast coffee in the red containers. It's economical, tastes great and I can percolate it and drink it 6 hours later.To me,  doesn't get bitter.

Mkask128
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

McCafe! Hands down. 

yanzhiqiang

Today I bought a bag of PC medium rost coffee beans(902g for $11.99) and a coffee grinder starting to make my own ground coffee.

goauldgungan

French presses are amazing.  Probably the best tasting coffee at that price point. (Manual pour over and aeropresses are good options as well). 

Kinnear99
Good Neighbour / Bon Voisin

Personally, I think the brewing method has a huge impact on how the coffee tastes.  I won a Stanley French Press from work and ever since Its the only way i brew my coffee.  I find it brings out the true flavour of the coffee (also adds a slight oily texture which may not be noticable to the normal coffee user).  As for the type of coffee, I like Zavida Hazelnut Vanilla.  It's about $20 for a 2lbs (930g) bag but it is so worth it.

yanzhiqiang
Re: what is the best taste ground coffee?

Social Coffee.  Local and roasted the week you purchase it. 

Thanks, good to know!

goauldgungan

Social Coffee.  Local and roasted the week you purchase it. 

elhota

PC Medium Roast or PC West Coast Dark Roast.  Sometimes they go on sale for the same prices as Maxwell House.  And the quality is much better!

yanzhiqiang

Me too only black coffee.

JenL

@yanzhiqiang PC is a great product. From coffee to cookies! 

JenL

@yanzhiqiang I was complimented on the last pot of coffee I made with someone. It was Maxwell House. Hazelnut flavored coffee is good in my opinion as well. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Restaurant coffee, McDonald's.  For home, eight o'clock coffee.  

funpig

Nabob

emilyvatttt
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I assume you're just using the good classic coffee maker? Personally I prefer van houten and McDonald's coffee, but I use a keurig so my results may differ from that of a pot of coffee😊 it all depends if you prefer your coffee more bitter or tart or sweet or medium or light and so on! 

I drink my coffee black - unpolluted by milks and sugars! - so I like coffee which actually tastes like good coffee. 

I find Tim Hortons too bitter and acidic. Folgers and Maxwell House too watered and flavourless. Hipster Charbucks too burnt and overpriced.

McDonalds coffee is surprisingly decent. Some of the Seattle Coffee and Van Hauten blends are good, almost sweet-tasting. "Dark roasted" Nabob and PC and Melitta all fairly good.

I tend to avoid "house blends" because they're usually just a mix of whatever random leftover bean dregs couldn't otherwise be sold. 

Need Help? Let's chat.