cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wind Mobile founder Anthony Lacavera wants to buy Freedom Mobile

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/12/18/wind-founder-anthony-lacavera-buy-freedom-mobile/

Interesting.... 

Im not sure if I would prefer Quebecor to buy them or the original founder. I feel like Quebecor has a better plan for expansion but who knows what the original founder might do either. Maybe this was a good thing, Shaw wasn't doing a good job with freedom anyway

7 REPLIES 7

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@allagelman you are right. Freedom's roaming plans work really well actually. Their prepared nation wide plans can use any of the big 3's other towers therefore you can permanently roam since there aren't different data buckets for both networks. If you make a few wifi calls or connect to the freedom network once in a while you should fulfil the 30% freedom usage policy or something since wifi calls count as freedom usage. 

If I lived in a freedom zone I would switch my family to it, the 99$ year plan is pretty good. I can technically use it but I won't be able to port an existing number over, or get a local number in my city. 

If it wasn't for rogers buying them I would've switched a family member of mine to the 99$ yr plan for their flip phone. They wouldn't mind the out of town number 

allagelman
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Alexxja 

On the Big Gig Plans you can now get National Roaming included which provides service out of the Freedom Zone. 

That itself could make all the difference for people that tend to travel throughout Canada. 

However, if you live in the National Roaming zone Freedom will remove services if you roam for longer then 6-12 months. That’s why it may not work so well for majority of Canadians at the moment. If things vastly improve in terms of coverage map you yourself will most definitely benefit 

allagelman

@Alexxja 

It worked out very well for me. But, for some people it just depends on their coverage area so it’s sorta a different story if the coverage isn’t great where you reside.

allagelman

@Alexxja 

From my experience Freedom Mobile has great coverage. Never had any issues with them over the years. I still have a freedom number in the home and works better then PM most of the time. Call quality is better. Which is ironic sure. They came a long way.

Alexxja
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Umm okay, well in my experience freedom/ wind mobile sucks, i hope for them that Anthony Lacavera amplifies their coverage map. 

allagelman

@BearFBI  I prefer the original founder. Anthony Lacavera still believes prices are still too high. If he got Freedom back that would be very good for all Canadians. Who knows maybe Anthony will make those Canada/US plans standard. 

T-Mobile for years made US/Canada/Mexico one entire home zone. 3 countries = 1 home zone. If Anthony does the same or similar excluding Mexico that itself would remove ridiculous roaming fees. Get ready to switch!!😆

At least we can dream. Hopeful this will happen eventually.🗽  

darkomega

No one knows yet if Roger's will be forced to sell them as an entire company yet, or just be forced divest of some the wireless spectrum in the deal, nothing has been decided by the wireless competition bureau.

Need Help? Let's chat.