Oracle

Re: De-Googled Phone & Public Mobility

A de-googled phone is a flip phone.  

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bashley 

@bashley wrote:

Wondering if anyone has had the experience of de-googling their Android phone.  Not thrilled about Google selling me in the ad market and knowing every move I make. I've decided to migrate away from using all Google services. This is quite a project because I've been using Google since its inception with umpteen tons of data, docs in the Google domain.

As I understand it, in the hands of skilled technician, an Android phone like mine (Samsung S9) can strip out Google's guts. The other options?  Linux? A flip phone with texting capability? 

A low intensity, infrequent user of mobility services, I'm not panicking, just looking ahead to a phone move that will get Google out of my life. Not to offend anyone, I think the services are great, but for me, the costs and potential risks to my privacy (and security) have come to be too high for me. 

Thanks!

bob

I was reading an article said,  If you’re technically minded you can wipe your Android phone and install CyanogenMod – a fully functional version of the operating system pruned of Google’s tentacles

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

bashley
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@fdrcamb519 wrote:

@bashley 

@bashley wrote:

Wondering if anyone has had the experience of de-googling their Android phone.  Not thrilled about Google selling me in the ad market and knowing every move I make. I've decided to migrate away from using all Google services. This is quite a project because I've been using Google since its inception with umpteen tons of data, docs in the Google domain.

As I understand it, in the hands of skilled technician, an Android phone like mine (Samsung S9) can strip out Google's guts. The other options?  Linux? A flip phone with texting capability? 

A low intensity, infrequent user of mobility services, I'm not panicking, just looking ahead to a phone move that will get Google out of my life. Not to offend anyone, I think the services are great, but for me, the costs and potential risks to my privacy (and security) have come to be too high for me. 

Thanks!

bob

I was reading an article said,  If you’re technically minded you can wipe your Android phone and install CyanogenMod – a fully functional version of the operating system pruned of Google’s tentacles

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Thanks, I'll look into CyanogenMod! 
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@bashley love the spoilers inside the spoilers LOL

bashley

@will13am wrote:

A de-googled phone is a flip phone.  

...and cheap too!  Thanks. 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@will13am  with the amount if time I am on my phone some days I wonder if thats the way I should go. 

bashley

@z10user4 wrote:

@bashley 

That's a gigantic question.

As for Public Mobile...all they need is compatible cell frequencies and unlocked.

Many keeners "root" their phones and take more control of it. Android IS Google though.

As for the rest of it, I'm not sure it's relevant to here but if it's phones I suppose technically it can be in this category.

Thanks. I'll need to look into compatibility of say, maybe a flip phone, with the Telus network. 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@bashley 

Not all phones from other carriers are compatible with the TELUS network. Compatible phones include:

• 4G LTE: Any TELUS phone or BlackBerry phones. Phones purchased from other providers will need to be verified for compatibility. Simply check your phone’s IMEI number with TELUS to see if they can support your device. TELUS LTE/LTE+ frequecies include 700/850/1900/2100 MHz
  • 3G: Compatible phones must support these TELUS frequencies: WCDMA (HSPA): 850/1900 MHz (UMTS). Phones must support HSPA to be compatible.

compatible smart phones here:

https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Carriers/Telus

bashley

@BearFBI wrote:

@bashley Almost every phone comes with googles services endless you put a custom ROM on your phone. If you cant put trust into google then how are you putting trust into anything else. Heck how are you even putting trust into using Public Mobile. Google is one of the most Secure services in the world. Almost everyone has a google account. Even if your phone has nothing to do with google they still know everything about you and probaly even your precise location as they work with cell carriers. You simply cant get away from google. But i think you can opt out on google sharing your data to a certain level. It should be somewhere in your account settings.

Well, I see what you're saying, but there are legions of privacy and security breaches directly or indirectly attributable either to Google flaws, surveillance, and more generally, its business model. And there are legions more of people taking pains to minimize its impact. 

Don't get me wrong. I've used many Google services for many years, day one, in fact--they're functional, reliable, easy to use. But they've gone too far, crossing my personal threshold of tolerance for their prying eyes. Maybe I can't fully eradicate their influence, but I'm confident I can drastically the data they steal from me, 

To each his/her own. 

bob

bashley

@Triguy wrote:

This is a software issue not related to PM.  If you alter your OS it could void your warranty.

This doesn't surprise me, but I'm long past warranty repairs now. I'll probably end up getting a cheap, retro flip phone. 

Need Help? Let's chat.