cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada Post Work Stoppage- SIM Order Process has Changed

David_J
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Note: As of October 18, 2016 the below process is no longer in effect. To check out the new process, click here. 

Hey Community,

As you know, in order to be prepared for the possibility of a Canada Post work stoppage, we made some changes to the SIM card ordering process. The change to charge customers $10 (with a rebate upon activation) for a SIM card was initiated by the strike possibility, however we discovered something very interesting. When the SIM cards were available without charge, only 60% were being activated after they were received. When we changed the process and started to charge and rebate the $10 for the SIM card, the percentage being activated increased significantly. There’s something to be said about having a bit of skin in the game which is why we have decided that, for now, we will continue to charge $10 per SIM with a rebate upon activation.

As a reminder, here is a summary of how the new process works:

• Order the SIM card online (as per the usual process).

• There will be a charge for courier shipping. However, the shipping charges will be rebated to the method of payment you used to pay the shipping charges. Please note that we now offer PayPal as a payment option.

• To request your rebate, email rebate@publicmobile.ca with your SIM order number and your Public Mobile phone number. We’ll issue your rebate to the same method of payment for the shipping charges within 7 days of the email being received.

For any other questions, please contact us here [https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help] or message one of our Public Mobile Moderators here on the Community.

Thanks!

Public Mobile Community team

167 REPLIES 167

@SaintMike Check your spam folder. If not try emailing them with just phone number and say you don't have order id. 

"To request your rebate, email rebate@publicmobile.ca with your SIM order number and your Public Mobile phone number. We’ll issue your rebate to the same method of payment for the shipping charges within 7 days of the email being received."

SaintMike
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I ordered a SIM card which was shipped on Aug. 2 by Canada Post (received the next day) and also billed for $11.30.

I checked and did not receive any e-mail with an order number.

How do I go about getting a refund?

Does PM have no record of shipping and billing? I have activated the card and is in use on my plan. Should this not be enough information to process it?

(Perhaps the "left hand ought to know what the right hand is doing" in cases like this. And at least one foot just for good "measure". Good rule of thumb. 🙂 )

Please advise how to proceed with my proceeds.

Thank you.

@Ws8 wrote:

Finally received it over the weekend, but was disappointed that it was sent via Canada Post even though I was charged for shipping via courier. Not a great way to earn my trust by charging me for a more expensive shipping method than what was actually used.

If you paid $10 for shipping, you will get that back when you activate that sim. More info is in the first post about how to get refund. 

Ws8
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Finally received it over the weekend, but was disappointed that it was sent via Canada Post even though I was charged for shipping via courier. Not a great way to earn my trust by charging me for a more expensive shipping method than what was actually used.

I'm joining the wonder team on this, lol ... I'd like to grab a few more PM SIM cards to refer a couple more friends, but I'm mildly dissuaded by having to pay 10 bucks up front for each one and (as my past experience has demonstrated) they'll be less interested if I don't have everything I need to immediately get things going when they make the switch.

darkprincess220
I am wondering if public mobile has any updates regarding shipping of sim cards via Canada post?

@nishufan but is there really any point if 25th is cut off date? We already are up to the 22nd (since no mail on weekends)

Even if there was an issue we are talking about 3 days

The cost savings to Public should be worth the risk I think

nishufan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi guys:

The strike will end august 25 probably based on the news released by Canada Post. I think we should wait after Aug 25. 

Here is the new link:

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/details.page?article=2016/08/17/with_strike_man...

Kayfun101
Must be purolator there swamped at the moment just wait ok I will probably order 3 of the chips next need to test drive the service so I can get a feel of it is that a option I could not see it on the order page

chreds

Looks like a postal strike is back on the table now though... so at least this is somewhat justified. I'd still say they should be sending out via Canada Post until the Union gives 72 hours notice of a strike.

sreu79

So further to my last post about the non-existant canada post strike I ponied up the $10 for the "purolator" shipping method...contacted my nearest Purolator depo (20 minutes away from me as I only have a po#) then arrived to see it shipped via Canada Post and now the depo charges me a $6 handling fee! Wow, nice first experience with Public mobile now off to activate and port my number....Wonder what joys that will be like!! Not a great start but trying to be optimistic that this is just an overlooked detail on public mobiles side!

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @Ws8

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

Delivery takes about 5 business days, but the delay depends on volume as well as your location. Please allow for the SIM to arrive by the end of the week/weekend. If it does not, let us know and we will ship a new one for you!

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Ws8

I ordered a SIM last Friday, Aug. 12, to be delivered to downtown Vancouver, and it still hasn't been delivered as of Tuesday night, Aug. 16.  Shouldn't a courier delivery be faster than 4 days?

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @sreu79

Thank you for your interest in joining Public Mobile!

We currently charge a 10$ shipping fee, however, it is fully reimbursed once the SIM card is activated.

You will also need to provide a numerical address, is this possible ?

Cheers,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

sreu79

I do not have an account yet but want a sim card mailed to me @       a po box .the sign up page suggests that there is a postal strike and the information that is linked to a post about it was done at the end of June. There is no and never was a post strike this year. I want to become a customer but it doesn't give me much confidence when your asking for a shipping charge as your using a courier. I only have a PO box # to ship to and couriers don't ship to them
Sincerely,
Sheldon

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @jheili99!

I agree that Purolator isn't the best.  Its always them who can't reach my apartment in Toronto... all other couriers deliver to my door without issues.  

I saw this when I went to pick up a parcel, they had notices posted everywhere stating that they will not be honoring any guaranteed delivery times while the threat of a Canadapost strike loomed.  They claimed its due to exceptionally high workload as more Canadians were using their services in place of the Canadapost.    This is possibly why it took them longer than usual to deliver the sim cards last month.  

Most people are reporting faster delivery times this month though.  

Also, PM please re-enable the very popular Canadapost option on the sim order page.  Thanks.  

sportymi

Why is there no answer to when Canada Post will be back as an option? There is no strike!

jheili99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi,

Purolator is unfortunately the worst carrier to pick in Canada.... my card took about 2.5 weeks to arrive ( with several hick-ups and multiple calls after they attempted their first delivery and decided to drop package of 30 miles from my home so I called them and they scheduled re-delivery only for package to be sent back to their main hub with another request for me to pick it up myself..so called again, got angry and finally another day later I got it)....their is actually a tracking number ( i had one after the first delivery attempt ) ..... but as I said.. it took a total of 2.5 weeks for the card to finally being in my hands... the PM refund for the shipping charges were lightening fast..send email request..next day had confirmation that money will be refunded.. 2 days later money was back on my card.....

ellenyw
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Also, just curious since I have not received my SIM card yet, is there a way for tracking the purolator package? I assume that since there is a $10 fee now, it would come with tracking details? I also vaguely remember the order confirmation saying that we could check back for updates but I'm unsure how? Thanks!

ambuja
Hello,

Now that Canada post strike is over for the last few weeks, when will you resume normal shipping ?

Thx!

schefmar

Refunding the Purolator fee is all very nice, however, Puro doesn't dare deliver in my neck of the woods, I have to drive 45km to their drop-off point. Any idea when Canada post shipping will be back, got 2 phones to put on your network.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @choia!

Happy to hear that your experience has been good so far.  Feel free to post in the community if you need help.  Welcome aboard!  

choia

I was a little worried about having to pay for courier then going through the hassle of a refund. Public Mobile was very efficient with the whole process. I ordered my sim on a Friday, got it in the mail on Tuesday (even with Monday being a holiday), emailed about my refund on Tuesday and received it on Wednesday. I'm very pleased with everything so far.

@DavePC wrote:

Just wondering, according to the post:

"Rebate of shipping charges are limited to the period of the Canada Post strike."

What happens if I purchased a SIM trying the strike time, and wanted to activate my SIM card later, outside of the strike time? Will I not receive my rebate?

You will get refund as long as you paid for the shipping and activated that sim. 

DavePC

Just wondering, according to the post:

"Rebate of shipping charges are limited to the period of the Canada Post strike."

What happens if I purchased a SIM trying the strike time, and wanted to activate my SIM card later, outside of the strike time? Will I not receive my rebate?

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@kav2001c wrote:

Since the strike is not happening when will Public return to using Canada Post for SIM cards?

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/details.page?article=2016/07/08/canada_post_agr...

I second this question.... any update PM?

JL.

sley

@kav2001c you get the shipping fee refunded to you so you're better off shipping it than buying from the shops for $10.

csphone

I wanted to order multiple SIMs - which apparently can only be done one at a time. This was fine when it only cost me my time to do it but now that I'm paying for Purolator, is there any way I can get multiples sent to me for one shipping cost? 

@DQQW no stores are officially licensed to sell Public SIM cards but I have seen many smaller cell phone shops selling them for a nominal fee (usually $10)

It is cheaper to pay for shipping and courier only takes a couple days (until they bring back Canada Post)

DQQW

Seconded.  I am unsure if I want to go long-term with the service and I wanted to use vouchers or topups to give it a try.

Are there any stores that still sell SIM cards?  I'm out in the maritimes.

Need Help? Let's chat.