cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I take a year break with public mobile and then continue with my plan and same phone number?

Zeyn
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a question guys. lets say if I leave the country for a year, would I be able stop the subscription for the whole year and when I come back, I keep the same number and continue my payments and keep my plan that I had?Another question that I have is that, if I leave the country for a year but I keep the subscription and I make regular payments, would I be able to use my phone in Europe? 

thank you in advance 

11 REPLIES 11

Thanks for the information @hTideGnow . 

HI @Chalupa_Batman  i think you were using the free number assigned by Fongo and not a ported in number

For ported in number, you don't have that trouble

Sorry to go semi off subject  MODS, @hTideGnow I tend to get emails every 3 months from Fongo asking me to make a call to keep my account alive. Then again, maybe there's is something in their TOS that states porting in doesn't require app usage to keep account. 

@Chalupa_Batman  if you ported in your number to Fongo, you don't need to make a call for a minute or two every month

Also, if you installed the app, logged in, then it will keep alive the account if you have a ported in number

statusquo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think you are right @hTideGnow about the Fongo suggestion if that is free which I don't know much about as I've never used any apps on my phone. 

Very true. Fongo is free but you do have to use it at least once a month to make a call for a minute or two...  but that can be done through WiFi. 

And everyone here makes a good point about Legacy rewards. However, just thinking outside the box, not knowing if they are on LR, would how much LR they get out weigh the amount they'd pay to keep their phone active sort of speak. And what if they forget to re up with a voucher or something and lose the number and LR in second or third time around. It would be a huge lost to the member. If LR isn't a concern, Fongo is a decent idea and can be used around the world on WiFi or data plan.

HI @statusquo 

you are correct, Number Barn or Fongo is cheaper

But some people like to keep alive the PM account especially if they are on legacy rewards

And I like my Fongo suggestion more, cos during the year, the phone still work on Fongo app, you can still receive and make calls and text (text costs extra for sending)

statusquo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If I'm understanding older posts correctly, then I think op would only need to pay once every 120 days or maybe once every 116/118 days to be safe as the 90 days start after expiry of any current cycle is not funded.  But I do think the number barn option might be cheaper as it costs $2/month US unless the op has legacy rewards that would be lost if number is transferred out.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Zeyn 

if it is a year, and you don't care about the rewards you have with PM, you can port your line to a VoIP provider like Fongo.  When you come back, you can then port the number back to a real mobile provider.  But porting into Fongo has a charge, I think $25 one time

Or you can  do what people suggested others.  Disable Autopay before you go, change the plan to $15, and then  let the account go into Suspended state.  But remember to come back around 85, or 86 or 87 days after suspension, and resume service for one month.  Then let account go back to suspension for another 85-87 days and repeat

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Nope, you'll have to pay for a monthly plan once every 85-90 days. And I wouldn't risk going right to 90 days, because of you forget or the systems are down, your number is gone. You can drop to the cheapest plan ($15) and pay that every 85 days, but if you do that your current plan may not be available to change back to in a year.

Number parking (as mentioned by @Chalupa_Batman) is also an option, but you'd be porting your number out to do that, so your PM account would be closed and you'd have to sign up as a new customer in a year.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Zeyn 

Sadly no. You have basically 90 days each time to sign back up to keep your number. They don't keep numbers for a year. It would cost you at least $60 to come back every 85 days to sign up on a cheap account. It's not worth it my friend.

EDIT: According to a member here, this is an option but I don't know enough about it to help.

https://www.numberbarn.com/number-parking

@softech shared some information in this thread that may help.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Porting-out-to-Number-Barn-and-did-not-re...

Need Help? Let's chat.