cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US add ons not working

shawoj
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Purchased US add on for both my son and myself and have zero service. Totally disappointed. My son says 3G is limited here in US and I can't see where I can purchase 4G. Is it available? If not what a waste of money.

14 REPLIES 14

shawoj

@hairbag1 thank you for your suggestions. I purchased the US roaming add ons. When I look at available networks I have zero show up.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

What is the make and model of the phone? LTE should work for data and text. If your phone has the ability to set it to 2G only then that might be worth a test to see if you can also pick a tower and also talk.

shawoj

@darlicious Thank you, I followed your earlier links and it looks like I should have service but I don't. Hope is in North Idaho, East of Sandpoint on Lake Pend Oreille. 

So which network is your US cell using ?

As suggested above...you can try manually selecting either T-Mobile or AT&T on your PM phone.

For future reference...let us know if anything helps getting your PM add-on to work.

Make certain you purchased the correct 10 Day US Roaming add-on...(and not the US Calling add-on which is designed for use to call US from Canada).

@shawoj 

Not sure if you just need voice or data as well.

if you also need data, 4G /LTE will actually work.  The 3G trouble is only for voice calls

So make sure your phone's network is set to Automatic and not 3G only

shawoj

Thanks for the suggestion, it's already on. I think I'm just in a spot where 3G doesn't reach because I have zero networks available. We also have a US cell and it works fine. So it's just my service. 😞

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@shawoj 

Make sure you have roaming enabled. Reboot your phone and manually select T-Mobile rather than AT&T if you require voice services.

I cannot locate Hope on the map but here is your 4G LTE and 2G coverage zones for T-Mobile in Idaho.

4G LTE coverage4G LTE coverage2G coverage2G coverage

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Make sure both phones have Roaming Data enabled.

shawoj

I'm in Hope, Idaho. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Dunkman 

Aw shucks! thx

@Timer 

That is not correct. US Roaming Add ons use the roaming partners networks. Your phone will automatically select the best available network for the service provided. For data and text that's the 4G LTE network (for a provider like telus it would be the 5G network). For voice services it was the 3G network and in certain areas where T-Mobile has yet to decommission the 3G network your phone will still connect to 3G otherwise it will default to the 2G network for voice services. However during voice calls on the 2G network you cannot use data or text.

If you use the map link in my linked post you will find that the 2G network is quite comprehensive in the US so the impact on voice services is actually less than first thought. Although we all agree that implementing VoLTE for public mobile customers is paramount. Only Alaska and certain rural areas of the lower 48 are severely impacted by the decommissioning of the 3G network.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@shawoj 

Your data and texting works on 4G LTE it always has in recent memory. Only voice calls require the 3G network. In the US choose T-Mobile for voice services as it will use the 2G network where available.

I will supply you with a link.....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@shawoj 

The issue with Public mobile US roaming at the present time is the decommissioning of 3G Networks in the USA.  Public mobile uses AT&T and T mobile as their US partner carriers.  AT&T already phased out 3G network earlier this year. T mobile 's date was July 1.  It may take time for the different areas in USA to decommissioned. 

According to Public mobile,

PM will have T mobile 2G network for US roaming.

Voice and SMS text will still work. 

Data will work on LTE, but will switch over to 2G to make a call. 

However, the quality of service will vary depending on the different coverage areas when roaming in the USA.

Public mobile is working on a long term solution, but that will take time.

Try the following suggestions: 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/us-roaming

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

If still not working well, contact customer service agent.

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@shawoj Hi no 4g sorry , the service in the states is not the greatest right now, where are you?

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@shawoj 

for add-ons not have 4G yet only 3G or 2G

Need Help? Let's chat.